What's new

Chat Box Disabled DDOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr1age

Administrator
Staff member
The server has asked me turn off the chat box for a few days to prevent some DDOS attacks that were using the code against us. We will be making fixes to prevent it, but until then we have to disable it. Sorry about that.

Oh, I thought everyone was just quiet for the last day. That's pretty sad.

Yeah really lame. But jerks gonna be jerks :)

We will get it fixed up soon. Server admins are working with us. Any site that had a chat box like ours was getting hammered.

ok, glad it wasn't just me. I have been really busy this week and haven't checked in much but did want to say hi in chat but couldn't. so hi TAB! =)

Wouldn't it just be better if you just implemented an IRC-box into the site? I mean, it's really easy to create your own channel in IRCnet, EFnet or Freenode.
Everyone would still be able to talk to each other even after AltTabMe's host is unavailable. You wouldn't have to be on the page to have the chat updated (I mean I work with two screens, when I'm using a different window then TAB's chat doesn't update for me).
Chatting on very old devices would be possible this way too, heck I could chat with you guys on a Commodore 64 this way.

There's lots of pro's when you use IRC and those are just some of them.

EDIT: ofcourse there are some cons to it too, like no more Bruce-expressions. -bruceno-

Wouldn't it just be better if you just implemented an IRC-box into the site? I mean, it's really easy to create your own channel in IRCnet, EFnet or Freenode.
Everyone would still be able to talk to each other even after AltTabMe's host is unavailable. You wouldn't have to be on the page to have the chat updated (I mean I work with two screens, when I'm using a different window then TAB's chat doesn't update for me).
Chatting on very old devices would be possible this way too, heck I could chat with you guys on a Commodore 64 this way.

There's lots of pro's when you use IRC and those are just some of them.

EDIT: ofcourse there are some cons to it too, like no more Bruce-expressions. -bruceno-

I would be interested in a TAB IRC channel as well. I like that the chatbox is available through the site but I use IRC all the time anyway. I think it would be a nice addition to the community either way.

I didn't look closely at the chatbox before it disappeared, as it was taken down right after I joined. With vBulletin I used an AJAX chat box that was at the top of the screen and was only visible to members.

The reason our guild at the time opted for that over IRC, is we placed it at the top of the forums so it drove our members to keep up with other parts of the site, rather than choosing their own client. Con vs. IRC of course was mobile users had to log-in via browser to use it.

TaigaChat Pro seems similar (although, for all I know that was what was already used :p). Here's a site with it in public use: Gaming Masters.

I didn't look closely at the chatbox before it disappeared, as it was taken down right after I joined. With vBulletin I used an AJAX chat box that was at the top of the screen and was only visible to members.

The reason our guild at the time opted for that over IRC, is we placed it at the top of the forums so it drove our members to keep up with other parts of the site, rather than choosing their own client. Con vs. IRC of course was mobile users had to log-in via browser to use it.

TaigaChat Pro seems similar (although, for all I know that was what was already used :p). Here's a site with it in public use: Gaming Masters.

We use Taiga.

IRC will not be an option. Setup, registration, lack of emoticons and the rest of the fun stigmas attached to it don't allow non SUPER GEEKS to use it on the regular. To many extra steps. Don't worry it will be back we are just patching a few holes :)

We use Taiga.

IRC will not be an option. Setup, registration, lack of emoticons and the rest of the fun stigmas attached to it don't allow non SUPER GEEKS to use it on the regular. To many extra steps. Don't worry it will be back we are just patching a few holes :)

Can't we have an IRC next to the regular chat then?

EDIT: People who use IRC aren't super geeks :p
There are a ton of sites that use IRC as a communication method.

One site that I visit quite a lot (top secret site) has Rizon's Web IRC and it's pretty easy to use. If you have played a game once on the computer then you can use this too.

They even have a wizard that generates an iframe for you

Here's mine:
http://qchat2.rizon.net/?channels=Razulian&uio=Nz10cnVlJjk9MjA527
It's easy to moderate too, so that should be no problem.

But still I agree with the emoticons part (but now that I think of it, that wasn't really a problem in MMO chats), I do see your point though.

EDIT2:
I forgot to add that you can have Enjin's Overlay Web Browser open your IRC page and talk with TAB-ers like that. So that would be really cool.

(Now you'll say "why?", because you can!... atleast that's what I always say)

Can't we have an IRC next to the regular chat then?

EDIT: People who use IRC aren't super geeks :p
There are a ton of sites that use IRC as a communication method.

One site that I visit quite a lot (top secret site) has Rizon's Web IRC and it's pretty easy to use. If you have played a game once on the computer then you can use this too.

They even have a wizard that generates an iframe for you

Here's mine:
http://qchat2.rizon.net/?channels=Razulian&uio=Nz10cnVlJjk9MjA527
It's easy to moderate too, so that should be no problem.

But still I agree with the emoticons part (but now that I think of it, that wasn't really a problem in MMO chats), I do see your point though.

EDIT2:
I forgot to add that you can have Enjin's Overlay Web Browser open your IRC page and talk with TAB-ers like that. So that would be really cool.

(Now you'll say "why?", because you can!... atleast that's what I always say)

I know why you like IRC but we will not be opening an IRC channel. We want logins associated with the logins on this page. All in one, one for all. Why would we fragment the chat box with two different places to hang out, just because we can.. makes no sense.[DOUBLEPOST=1378581762,1378581275][/DOUBLEPOST]Chat is back up. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom