What's new

Star Citizen CitizenCon 2015

Remainz

2949675-gary.jpg

CitizenCon 2015

So today was CitizenCon, a yearly event for all things Star Citizen held near one of their various studios. This year was in Manchester which is fitting due to most of the revealed content being related to Squadron 42, the single-player campaign attached to Star Citizen. Aside from updates on the campaign they also showed off what they're calling the "Baby PU". It will be made public sometime soon™ and includes the beginnings of multi-crew gameplay, fps gameplay, fast travel, and the quest system. They also showed off their website's new interactive starmap which allows you to explore the SC universe, plot courses, and check trade, crime, and population levels. Below are some clips from the livestream with the entire livestream linked at the bottom.

EXPLOSIONS!

Not from the livestream but worth looking at. The perspective from inside a doomed retaliator at 2:20 is amazing.

SQ42 STORY

Not much is known yet about the story arc as they want to keep it a surprise but the theme is "the fall of rome". The campaign itself will be a trilogy with the second and third parts sold as DLC post launch. Each part is much larger than what was originally intended for the entire game and they hired multiple actors (some well known) to play the various main characters. I believe SQ 42 (part 1) is supposed to be more or less 20 hours to complete depending on how much side content you're interested in doing. They showed off the following clip to introduce one of the main characters as well as the facial animation tech they'll be using for all the main characters in the story.

If you're interested in the tech or some behind the scenes footage you can check out the following videos.​

Facial Animation Tech

Behind The Scenes

Tour of the Morrow

Actors:

• Gary Oldman
  • Mark Hamil
  • Mark Strong
  • John Rhys-Davies
  • Jack Huston
  • Ben Mendelsohn
  • Andy Serkis
  • Harry Treadaway
  • Liam Cunningham
  • Rhona Mitra
  • Ian Duncan — The Player
  • Sophie Wu
  • Gemma Whelan
  • Craig Fairbrass
  • Gillian Anderson
SC ALPHA 2.0
The following clip shows off the baby PU. Pretty glitchy but it works. Something really impressive but can't really see is the full conversion of Crytek to 64bit as well as the implementation of local physics grids. This is what allows for absolutely massive maps while retaining location accuracy as well as allowing people to get up and move around large ships while the ships themselves are moving.

Full Presentation

Last edited:
I'm enjoying not paying attention to this game and periodically seeing some cool shit. Back to Archeage for now boyz

I'm enjoying not paying attention to this game and periodically seeing some cool shit. Back to Archeage for now boyz

Just happy the birth of the persistent universe is close. Soon it will be time to start looking at computer builds.

Explosions don´t make sound in space
People brought that up so some dev made a post saying it's coming from the ship's speaker system to give the pilot better situational awareness. He also mentioned possibly making an option to turn exterior sounds off while in space but I don't know why anyone would want to do that.
Great stuff. Can't wait for the mini PU
Me neither, but I've been playing through the WC series so between that and all the new SQ 42 info I'm actually just as excited to jump in the campaign.

People brought that up so some dev made a post saying it's coming from the ship's speaker system to give the pilot better situational awareness. He also mentioned possibly making an option to turn exterior sounds off while in space but I don't know why anyone would want to do that.

Me neither, but I've been playing through the WC series so between that and all the new SQ 42 info I'm actually just as excited to jump in the campaign.

At the end of the day I'll take awesome over realism in this case. Just sayin'

Top Bottom