What's new

Console vs PC - Game over for consoles?

Consoles and PC's will always exist, and will always have certain markets and clients that perform better in. To call either one better or worse than another in a general overall sense shows nothing but ignorance.

Consumer side

PC Pro's- Upgradeable, modding, customization, KB/M, extensive software
PC Con's - Price, portability (unless laptop), elitism, lack of "exclusives", single player (in house)

Console Pro's - Constant price, used games, exclusives per console, IN PERSON social experience, (handhelds) portability
Console Con's- lack of upgrading/modding, "limited" game selection, singular controller, not always ULTRA PREMIUM specs.

On the developers side tho, consoles can be a better way to get their game to a larger array of people, because everyone has the same specs. Computers, you never know who has what, and need to adjust for all ranges. That's a lot of time and money. Develop on the lower end, it looks too shitty on higher end. Develop too high, you isolate a LOT of lower end gamers. On a console, it's either "Have" or "Does not have" console. Done.

For anyone to think consoles are dead, you're just an idiot. I have always and will always be buying the newest Mario's and Zelda's, because they are generally a very enjoyable experience. Nostalgia or whatever, they are FUN. I love platformers and adventure style games. Always have.

PC Pro's- Upgradeable, modding, customization, KB/M, extensive software
PC Con's - Price, portability (unless laptop), elitism, lack of "exclusives", single player (in house)

Console Pro's - Constant price, used games, exclusives per console, IN PERSON social experience, (handhelds) portability
Console Con's- lack of upgrading/modding, "limited" game selection, singular controller, not always ULTRA PREMIUM specs.

PC con´s exclusives? Are you sure? How many Anno, C&C, Warcraft, Star Craft, Indie Games, MMOs have been recently released on a console?
You can connect up to 8 (depended on how many USB-connections you have) and play in Multiplayer.
Elitism on PCs or CoD-kiddies on consoles. Your choice.
"Used Games" are also for PCs unless they are activated over Steam or similar.
Also one thing that you entirely forgotten is backwards compatibility. Try to play a N64 game on your WiiU. Or a PS2 title on your PS4.
I can play my DOS games on my PC. Without buying them again in an online store.

PC con´s exclusives? Are you sure? How many Anno, C&C, Warcraft, Star Craft, Indie Games, MMOs have been recently released on a console?
You can connect up to 8 (depended on how many USB-connections you have) and play in Multiplayer.
Elitism on PCs or CoD-kiddies on consoles. Your choice.
"Used Games" are also for PCs unless they are activated over Steam or similar.
Also one thing that you entirely forgotten is backwards compatibility. Try to play a N64 game on your WiiU. Or a PS2 title on your PS4.
I can play my DOS games on my PC.
Had the "exclusives" quoted like that, since I knew that was going to be brought up. Other than MMO's and RTS's, what other exclusives do PC's really have? Indies have been migrating to console's more and more, especially with the upcoming generations, and most big ticket items are both PC and Consoles. Sure, they may be prettier on PC, if you have the specs. But for gameplay, you'll have the same experience on a console.

When was the last time you had 8 people on USB's (mind you, my laptop has 4 USB ports, but I've never hooked more than 2 controllers up at a time for multiplayer, and every experience has been kinda shitty and just reverted to console.

It's always been easier to disable voice-com on a console than to get rid of them in a chat box on PC. In reality, this is just a trade off. You'll have to deal with assholes everywhere, no matter the variation.

Sure, steam sales are great. I won't deny that. But that's not used. You're buying a new license. Yes, cheaper than MSRP, but not the same as just borrowing a copy from a buddy.

I have N64 games on my WiiU. I also have NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. I also have PS1 games on my PS3. The gems I keep, and if I want to play them, I'll play them. Can't recall how many times I really felt the want or need to go back and play an MSDOS or WIN95 game tho. Maybe Chip's Challenge.

Had the "exclusives" quoted like that, since I knew that was going to be brought up. Other than MMO's and RTS's, what other exclusives do PC's really have? Indies have been migrating to console's more and more, especially with the upcoming generations, and most big ticket items are both PC and Consoles. Sure, they may be prettier on PC, if you have the specs. But for gameplay, you'll have the same experience on a console.

When was the last time you had 8 people on USB's (mind you, my laptop has 4 USB ports, but I've never hooked more than 2 controllers up at a time for multiplayer, and every experience has been kinda shitty and just reverted to console.

It's always been easier to disable voice-com on a console than to get rid of them in a chat box on PC. In reality, this is just a trade off. You'll have to deal with assholes everywhere, no matter the variation.

Sure, steam sales are great. I won't deny that. But that's not used. You're buying a new license. Yes, cheaper than MSRP, but not the same as just borrowing a copy from a buddy.

I have N64 games on my WiiU. I also have NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. I also have PS1 games on my PS3. The gems I keep, and if I want to play them, I'll play them. Can't recall how many times I really felt the want or need to go back and play an MSDOS or WIN95 game tho. Maybe Chip's Challenge.

Indies have been migrating to console more and more yes, but the main amount of Indies are still for PCs.
I do this about every 2-3 months over the weekend when my friends visit. I connect my PC to my Television and we play games on the evil thing with E at the beginning that I´m not allowed to talk about. Something you can also not do on consoles by the way.

Not all the games for PC are for Steam. So there are still some games that you can just share. I will admit that the amount is a lot lower, but still.

You have these games, and you had to pay for them again. Even though you owned them before. This is something I don´t like and I don´t have to do with the PC.

One point I can agree on is that there will always be a space for a console like Wii U, a children console. Where you can play family friendly games. But for the adult oriented stuff, PC feels like the better choice.

I do this about every 2-3 months over the weekend when my friends visit. I connect my PC to my Television and we play games on the evil thing with E at the beginning that I´m not allowed to talk about. Something you can also not do on consoles by the way.

You can. We just don't talk about it here.

Not all the games for PC are for Steam. So there are still some games that you can just share. I will admit that the amount is a lot lower, but still.

So you admit this is dying out. Glad you're realizing that the days of non-DRM is a thing of the past, and in order to continue results in pirating, which again, we do not discuss here. Buying legit copies and sharing is an outdated system for PC's. It just doesn't really work like that anymore for sharing discs.

You have these games, and you had to pay for them again. Even though you owned them before. This is something I don´t like and I don´t have to do with the PC.

Yes, I did repay for them. Mostly because I wanted to deal with a non-hassle, non-piratey way of having these games easily accessible again, and to also free up my personal storage of these games. I didn't feel like having my GIANT bin of old consoles, games, controllers and cords. I'm sorry if my buying things legit and having non-pirated versions on my current consoles annoys you. I've thrown my money at every single re-released version of Legend of Zelda, Link to the Past (SNES, GBA, Wii VC, and eventually Wii U transport). I would personally write a check to the creator to show my appreciation for this game for whatever value it is he wants. I have zero problem supporting the games I truly value. Sure, some people think that this is scamming people, that the value doesn't belong, that having the physical original copy should trump all, and to an extent, sure. I can believe that. But me personally? No problem throwing 5-7 dollars for a port. Oh hey, I've paid for steam games about that value. And I've gotten less enjoyment out of them.

One point I can agree on is that there will always be a space for a console like Wii U, a children console. Where you can play family friendly games. But for the adult oriented stuff, PC feels like the better choice.
Why even label it a children console? Sure, there is a lot of software that is geared towards children. Adults play them too. Pokemon Rumble U? I bought it. I play it. It's a fun, relaxing game with friends, even if childish and simplistic. I wouldn't label it childish. I'd label it maybe "casual". But who cares? The whole point of video games is to enjoy our time doing so. Be it through heavy competitive games, getting absorbed in a story, or just playing something silly and simple and relaxing.

Stop trying to say one is better than the other. We can nitpick this all day. It's not worth it. Get over it. If you don't like it, fine. Don't try to devalue it for others.

So you admit this is dying out. Glad you're realizing that the days of non-DRM is a thing of the past, and in order to continue results in pirating, which again, we do not discuss here. Buying legit copies and sharing is an outdated system for PC's. It just doesn't really work like that anymore for sharing discs.

But it will be for consoles too with the generation after PS4. I am still very positive that the Xbone will turn the DRM stuff back on 1 or 1 1/2 years. So there will be no difference anyway.

Yes, I did repay for them. Mostly because I wanted to deal with a non-hassle, non-piratey way of having these games easily accessible again, and to also free up my personal storage of these games. I didn't feel like having my GIANT bin of old consoles, games, controllers and cords.

You know that you can connect your console to your PC and save a copy of the console itself and the game that is currently in on your PC?

I'm sorry if my buying things legit and having non-pirated versions on my current consoles annoys you. I've thrown my money at every single re-released version of Legend of Zelda, Link to the Past (SNES, GBA, Wii VC, and eventually Wii U transport). I would personally write a check to the creator to show my appreciation for this game for whatever value it is he wants. I have zero problem supporting the games I truly value. Sure, some people think that this is scamming people, that the value doesn't belong, that having the physical original copy should trump all, and to an extent, sure. I can believe that. But me personally? No problem throwing 5-7 dollars for a port. Oh hey, I've paid for steam games about that value. And I've gotten less enjoyment out of them.

Money of a re-released game goes to the publisher and not to the developer. Also I bought all the Legend of Zelda / Mario games too, because I love Nintendo. But the amount of people who simply buy a console just to have Zelda and Mario is getting smaller with every generation (look at the amount of Wii U´s sold). Also I try to support everything I value, I just make sure that it lands into the right pocket.

Why even label it a children console? Sure, there is a lot of software that is geared towards children. Adults play them too. Pokemon Rumble U? I bought it. I play it. It's a fun, relaxing game with friends, even if childish and simplistic. I wouldn't label it childish. I'd label it maybe "casual". But who cares? The whole point of video games is to enjoy our time doing so. Be it through heavy competitive games, getting absorbed in a story, or just playing something silly and simple and relaxing.

I label it as a children console because it´s main target audience is families. So everybody of a familiy (be it child or adult) can have fun with these games. "casual" for me are games that are mainly there for a "jump in, jump out" gameplay. The Legend of Zelda is in my opinion not one of these games, as it has Story attached that is being told and somewhat interesting.

Stop trying to say one is better than the other. We can nitpick this all day. It's not worth it. Get over it. If you don't like it, fine. Don't try to devalue it for others.

The reason why I argue over this is simple: Because I care. I care whether it is save to invest in a PC. I care on which console/PC I buy my games. I care when I buy my games and what games I buy. I care where I buy (GoG over Steam). Because at the end of the day the most efficient way of telling publishers to f*ck off and make a better game is by not giving them your money.
It always irritates me, when people buy a game (for example the most recent CoD) and complain about it, how short it is, how much the multiplayer sucks, how much everything sucks. And then when the next CoD is released they buy it and complain again. And then the next one is released and they buy it again and complain again. And so on, and so forth.

I have the same feeling about television. You are not forced to watch it. If you don´t like it, get netflix or hulu or whatever and watch and support the stuff you like.

The reason why I argue over this is simple: Because I care. I care whether it is save to invest in a PC. I care on which console/PC I buy my games. I care when I buy my games and what games I buy. I care where I buy (GoG over Steam).

I see where you are saying there but the way i fixed this problem is slowly accumulate ALL THE CONSOLES/PC and that way if one is exclusive for xbox, bam i don't have to worry, oh you say PS3 has a game made just for it, Shazow i'm down with that. Holy cow there is a one-of-a-kind PC Only game, kicksaw i am there. That is just my problem fixer. Now i know that everyone isn't financially able to do this and i am not able to get the Ps4 or xbone right out the window either but i am fine with that, just like purchasing a pistol, take your time, save, get the ok from the wife, and it will be yours. Its not going anywhere.

I see where you are saying there but the way i fixed this problem is slowly accumulate ALL THE CONSOLES/PC and that way if one is exclusive for xbox, bam i don't have to worry, oh you say PS3 has a game made just for it, Shazow i'm down with that. Holy cow there is a one-of-a-kind PC Only game, kicksaw i am there. That is just my problem fixer. Now i know that everyone isn't financially able to do this and i am not able to get the Ps4 or xbone right out the window either but i am fine with that, just like purchasing a pistol, take your time, save, get the ok from the wife, and it will be yours. Its not going anywhere.

Of course if you have the money you can buy all the consoles, but if you have to pick one, it becomes more interesting.

Of course if you have the money you can buy all the consoles, but if you have to pick one, it becomes more interesting.

Eh, i'm a Sony fan. They are upfront with everything. Just like when they got hacked into, they let the people know instead of rumors going around and did there best to make security better AND gave free stuff away. Microsoft on the otherhand complete opposite. I still buy their stuff just bc of some exclusives like Left for Dead 3, that game looks really good

EDIT: Not Left for Dead 3 but Dead Rising 3

Eh, i'm a Sony fan. They are upfront with everything. Just like when they got hacked into, they let the people know instead of rumors going around and did there best to make security better AND gave free stuff away. Microsoft on the otherhand complete opposite. I still buy their stuff just bc of some exclusives like Left for Dead 3, that game looks really good

EDIT: Not Left for Dead 3 but Dead Rising 3

Ahh now It makes sense, was just wondering if you are coming from the future. THE MONKEY FUTURE DUN DUN DUN!

Top Bottom