What's new

CSS is amazing, except it is so fucking existential!

tr1age

Administrator
Staff member
OK

I have been in and out of the web design business for my entire life.

I have been lucky enough to be on the Design pretty things end of it. But now I am trying to really push myself into the CSS aspect of things beyond modifications and making our front page BEAUTIFUL and FUNCTIONAL and a place you would actually spend TIME on...

HOWEVER....

Trying to wrap my head around DIVS and FLOATING vs Tables is like trying to shoot yourself in the head with a flamethrower underwater. I just want to put my image in THIS SPOT next to THAT SPOT. But instead I have to do a shit ton of math to figure out how much space i have total subtract space for margins and other shit, and then I have to figure out how to get it to stand next to the space I just created...

WHY THE FUCK hasn't someone designed some program where I can drag and drop "Divs" by dimension and location and it puts in all the stupid float data for it. SO STUPID. Tables may be archaic but they made mother fucking sense.

It is like when I grew up the web was like the Square block going in the square hole, now the hole is multidimensional and doesn't actually have a shape or place, it just floats in the ether.

Don't get me wrong I can design a bad ass template, mod the shit out of existing things, but trying to put together our new front page out of CSS only is making me want to kill small baby kittens and feed them to their mother.

ASDJAOSDIAOSDLKAFKAJSFLKF

If you guys donate 35$ i can have the entire page coded by the end of tomorrow, FYI

For the love of all that is good in this world, someone please create a program for Tristan so those poor kittens may live to see another day!

Isn't Dreamweaver a possible solution? Don't get me wrong, I am a masochist that is an advocate of straight coding in Notepad or BBEdit, but there are solutions that are visually driven, rather than code driven. I'm sure there are some freebies out there too. Dig 'em up!

Isn't Dreamweaver a possible solution? Don't get me wrong, I am a masochist that is an advocate of straight coding in Notepad or BBEdit, but there are solutions that are visually driven, rather than code driven. I'm sure there are some freebies out there too. Dig 'em up!

argg this just hurt my brain :p Ill explain more when I am not in a whirlwind of pain. :)

Oh man, I used to love playing Counter Strike : Source. But it wasn't quite the same as 1.6.

Noooo. I'm a huge proponent for needing to learn the fundamentals before you go diving into fancier tools and IDEs. Otherwise you risk producing really crappy and non-extensible content, on top of possibly being even more confused.

Also-- I am oh-so tickled by your choice of the word "existential" here, Tristan.

I forced myself to learn how to use divs properly instead of tables several years ago. It's still pretty unpleasant... probably because I only code in Notepad++.

One thing I really miss about tables is their ability to vertically center content easily. At least display: table-cell; works every now and then.

This is why I avoid web programming. I much prefer C++, it makes sense. That being said, the new job I'm starting on Monday is with an almost entirely web-based company. We shall see how that goes...

EDIT: I'd add more to the conversation, but the last time I used CSS was in 2005 or earlier.

The move from tables to divs was one of the hardest "adjustments" I ever made in my web design/develop/etc. career. These days, I can't stand tables.

It's a frustratingly tough thing to get used to, but it opens up a lot more possibilities.

I like how this thread is revealing who might know enough about webdev to contribute to AltTab on either the front or backend. ;)

I always enjoyed web dev.

I just hated design.

And divs ftw. My web dev life was made when I learnt that I didn't really have to deal with tables.

Hang in there Tristan! The fate of Alt Tab Me rest in your hands!

Hey Tristan,

I noticed your post about CSS while perusing for GW2 guilds to join. I like what you've built here, even if I don't end up applying for this guild I'd like to offer my expertise as a web designer. I can totally sympathize with your struggle to convert from tables to CSS (takes me waaaay back). If you need any help, advice, or recommendations on great tools to use, feel free to fire me a PM and I'll send you my Google Talk info.

Cheers,
Andrew
http://dribbble.com/staringatlights

Hey Tristan,

I noticed your post about CSS while perusing for GW2 guilds to join. I like what you've built here, even if I don't end up applying for this guild I'd like to offer my expertise as a web designer. I can totally sympathize with your struggle to convert from tables to CSS (takes me waaaay back). If you need any help, advice, or recommendations on great tools to use, feel free to fire me a PM and I'll send you my Google Talk info.

Cheers,
Andrew
http://dribbble.com/staringatlights

Hey welcome aboard!

Glad you are enjoying the community. The cool thing here is you don't have to join a guild to be a part of a truly unique place.

I messaged you.

Top Bottom