What's new

Wildstar Dev Interview 05/22/13 on twitch

Combat
  • There is the possibility for tab targetting for less skilled players BUT they will never be as effective as a free form targetting.
  • Tab targetting does NOT guaruntee the ability will hit the targetted player. Tab targetting essentially aims you at the target
  • Telegraphs can be any shape and size. You can even have inverse telegraphs.
  • The combat system is not based entirely on telegraphs
  • You cannot cast mid-jump for most spells, but there are some where you can
  • Abilities are usually resource based/restricted(mana) but are sometimes cooldown based
  • THERE IS NO AUTO-ATTACK
  • There is a "basic-attack" mapped to right-click. This basic attack does trigger the global cooldown
  • Some classes have up to 90% telegraphed abilities. Some closer to 50%
  • To avoid overwhelming raids, they currently only show your own telegraphs and the enemy creature's telegraphs. I'm assuming they are talking about offensive telegraphs, not heals and buff bubbles. May just have the options to turn it on and off.
  • Beyond telegraphs, there is the possibility of a character to evade attacks automatically. Likely RNG and stat driven. We have seen this on media demos.
  • Listening to player feedback to get rid of standard rotations
  • Trying to avoid "number inflation" to keep damage numbers low
  • GCD duration (observed from demo) -- ~1.5s (give or take my reaction speed borking it up)
Shields
  • Health does not regenerate while in combat
  • Tech Shields regenerate a set amount of time after you are last hit (even if still in combat)
  • There are abilities which specifically target and heal tech shields
  • There are abilities which ignore tech shields
  • There are also absorption shields which are "treated differently" than tech shields. Said "magical" so I'm guessing they are cast by a spell/healer class.
  • Tech Shields are itemized. You will pick up better tech shields as you play.
CC
  • No current diminishing return on CC, but not ruling it out.
  • CC's are more powerful in PvE than in PvP. Because of the "breakout system" they can weaken/strengthen CC in PvP without effecting PvE
  • Always give a player a goal or activity when they are in a form of CC to help them escape (retrieving a sword that was knocked out of the player's hand, player can extend the CC by blocking you from getting the weapon!!)
  • Interrupt Armor is something that can be cast or applied to you. For example if you want to cast a channeled spell you could cast Interrupt Armor on yourself first.
  • You can apply interrupt armor on teammates
  • Interrupt Armor can prevent ALL hard forms of CC(implied not things like slows). The Interrupt Armor is a bar that can decrement down to zero and then you are able to be CC'd.
  • Telegraph time for abilities are tuned to NEVER be lower than standard latency meaning you should always have the chance to dodge... assuming no delay in reaction time such as 0 people in the world.
Classess
  • Perhaps a bow and arrow class. Little bit of laughter, so give it a small chance of being true.
  • One of the unannounced classes can spec healing
  • No healer is definitively better than another. Any benefits of one over another is purely situational.
  • Stalkers will be less likely to actually be hit when tanking. They are experimenting with giving them a higher chance to "evade" autoattacks.
  • "Might have pets. Might not have pets. This is redacted" When asked about a pet class
  • Definitely strong trinity system (unlike GW2)
  • Currently swapping specs is easy. Player feedback is making them second-guess this.
    Tanks/Heals
  • Tanks and healers still have to worry about positioning and aiming
  • Dedicated tanks will have a role in PvP
  • Tank taunts reduce damage of player that has been taunted unless the taunted player is attacking the tank
  • Tanks are great for holding/assaulting objectives in PvP
  • Tanks are useful in arenas because they rarely die
  • Tanks have strong support abilities to further their usefulness in PvP.
  • One specific tank ability allows him to form a bubble and all allies in the bubble take reduced damage
  • Healers will not be able to heal indefinitely, will have to be strategic
  • Healers will add significant survivability in PvP
  • Hybrid builds are possible. Devs liked to go mostly DPS with a few "pocket heals" on their ability slots for Arenas
  • Some healing classes are substantially more dependant on telegraphs than others
Abilities
  • Mobility differs between classes. Some classes will have no channels. Some abilities simply slow a character while casting.
  • It is possible to adjust your ability set such that you will have no channels/slows while casting, despite your class.
  • Abilities on bar should be active -- not buffs. Trying to avoid having abilities with long durations.
  • WildStar is programmed to allow people to use shields and life as resources (like mana) but they are not currently doing so. It "may or may not" happen.
  • Potential class ability that lets you swap places with a target. They are "trying out" the ability to see its implications.
Beta
  • Stress test is likely to suck for players, so don't get antsy.
  • Trying to ramp up amount of beta players quickly
  • Current beta players are not having their beta names reserved. Reserved names during beta will likely only happen very soon before release
  • New waves of beta invites will be coming out every couple of weeks
PvP
  • Currently they are NOT showing telegraphs to players in PvP(!!!!). It will benefit you to know what the telegraph for another class' abilities looks like. This is still subject to change.
  • Can level up character in PvP
  • Paths will unlock abilities for use in PvP (arenas, battlegrounds, world)
  • XP/time ratio of PvP should be roughly the same as PvE. Want you to be able to level up with just PvP.
  • PvP currency is present. Can be used to buy and repair stuff(Warplots)
  • There are randomized chances to win loot
  • It's possible for a really skilled player to win a 1v3, 1v4 with similar gear. It is possible for a PvP player to be consistently, overwhelmingly dominant
  • Will have a "tutorial experience"
  • eSports a possibility if the community wants it -- Arenas and Warplots.
  • In PvP classes take a rock-paper-scissors approach to countering each other based on ability skillset chosen
  • PvP is more strategy focused than burst focused. Currently averages 20s to kill 1v1 assuming no dodging and toe-to-toe. Still VERY much in flux.
  • No plans to allow custom matches where players can set parameters
  • Using the same plug-in systems used in housing the devs can add randomized and new content to existing battlegrounds to keep play from getting stale. This probably won't be done until post-launch.
Dueling
  • Very likely. Lead PvP designer mentioned it as one of the systems she is involved in
Crafting
  • Circuitboard system
Paths
  • Devs are being careful with path abilities. DO NOT want you to feel it's advantageous to re-roll the same char with a different path simply because the abilities may be better.
Gear
  • Raids may have the best loot but not all good gear for PvP will be locked behind top tier raids
  • They are working on balance such that players can gradually build up their PvP gear
  • Gear will give a definite advantage in PvP, but skill can overcome gear gaps.
  • PvP gear progression scheme where good gear is from battlegrounds, great gear is arena, and best of PvP rewards are from Warplots
  • Warplot gear will give you a decided advantage in arenas
  • Stats on gear will have diminishing returns!
  • Everytime there is a new tier of PvE gear released, a new tier of PvP gear will be released
  • There are two PvP specific stats for gear, limiting the ability for PvP gear to be better than PvE gear. PvP Offense and PvP Defense. You will have a base amount to start and can supplement with gear. These two stats will mostly come from "chips" made from circuitboard crafting.
  • PvP Offense increases damage against player targets
  • PvP Defense mitigates damage from other players
  • Will near definitely have an equipment "loadout" system where you can switch gear sets quickly.
  • Assault power helps DPS
  • Support power helps healing
  • Damage bonuses on gear will be generic +dmg... not anything like +fire dmg
API
  • Addons mods will be coded in LUA
  • API is still in flux but is very robust. "Anything [Carbine] can do with the UI, [a modder] could do with the UI"
  • Code for the Carbine UI is provided so people can mess with it
  • Macros will likely be allowed, but nothing gamebreaking
  • Existing add-ons include a player-made chat mod which allows a player to receive whispers which show up in a window, they can answer the question and it will show up in zone chat (devs were using). Group frames. Friends lists. Gambling.
Battlegrounds
  • Two different types sizes of battlegrounds 10v10(10-15 minutes, current average is 11) and 15v15(little longer than 10v10). A 30v30 one is being tested
  • Unranked battlegrounds are not matchmade by skill or gear level
  • You will have an ELO rating for your skill in ranked battlegrounds. You will be matched with people of similar skill level
  • Rallying system boosts everyone to top level character for battleground in stats
  • No persistent battlegrounds that last for days on end (like Alterac Valley) and they have zero interest in making one
  • Capture the flag is a current BG type
  • Next BG rollout to beta will be an attack/defense like TF2 carts and SWTOR Void Star with "their own little twists"
  • Currently prototyping a domination-style (capture-hold) with an interesting addition at the end
  • PuG's and premades are possible, but the ELO system allows adjustment for the increased ability
  • You can have premade groups in battlegrounds
World PvP
  • PvE server players can flag themselves as PvP
  • Not any major objectives to do in world PvP "yet"
  • Open world PvP has no level restrictions (and the planned PvP population plummets ;) ). High level players will not get experience for killing low level players, however.
  • Implied you get XP AND PvP currency for open-world kills
  • There are diminishing returns for killing the same player
  • On PvP servers you are safe in zones controlled by your faction. If you go into a shared zone or an enemy zone, you will be flagged for PvP
Arena PvP
  • Current sizes are 2v2, 3v3 and 5v5
  • Arena is not a standard elimination match. They have "team respawn lives" -- each team can have 6 lives and when you die you use up a life
  • Potential to have game-types, eventually, that are single elimination (no extra lives)
  • Arena is capped at 30 minutes
Warplots
  • Damage taken to warplots is persistent. You will have to repair/rebuild/maintain after battles!
  • Paths will have influence on Warplot play, more specific than just standard PvP abilities
  • Warplots is intended for large raids (MAX is 40v40, implying there can be smaller ones)
  • Presumably more info to come as a dev said she is limited in what she can currently say. Dev seems very excited for the information that is not yet released
  • Warplot PvP expected to last closer to 45-60 minutes
Housing
  • Players cannot attack/steal items from another player's house
  • There will be ways for you to "interact" with your friends in your home. "Rainbow deer marriage" :)
  • Access to your bank from your house
  • House can offer useful character buffs
  • Can be "a hub" (possibly portal to various areas?)
  • House isn't intended for player to "hang out" there permanently
PvE
  • Movement/travel abilities for each class allowing you to get from point to point quicker
  • Falling damage exists, but is very lenient currently. Affected by gravity
  • In-game flight still not decided. "We have some cool stuff happening which will effect that decision"
  • Sprint-double-jump is very important for explorers
  • Open world bosses that can take up to 20+ players
  • Possible to make double-jump a factor in raids ONLY if it is obvious
Group Finder
  • Group Finder tool for Warplots, Battlegrounds, dungeons and "some things we haven't talked about" but NOT Raids. Able to choose if you want to queue only with people on your server. Even in cross-realm the group-finder has an affinity for grouping people on the same server.
  • Group finder attempts to gather a standard group: 1 tank, 1 healer and 3 DPS.... dungeons are likely 5mans then.
  • Group finder will teleport you to the dungeon entrance
  • Will have a "looking for group" channel
Social
  • Still haven't decided whether they will allow cross-faction communication. Currently disabled.
  • They are considering limited forms of communication between factions
  • They are not currently working on a mobile app but they are interested and would like to in the future. This includes interaction with auction house, guild and more
  • Unable to discuss whether there is a "home base" for guilds -- yet!
Game General
  • The ability to morph into a deer that farts rainbows will debut at PAX. They were likely not joking ;)
  • Currently no gambling in the game (betting on PvP). They have considered it but haven't implemented anything else.
  • Use of game controllers is not officially supported but gameplay is well-suited for controllers
  • Authenticator being considered as a possibility for account protection
  • Servers in EU(Frankfurt) and US(Dallas) at launch -- maybe in more locations but they aren't ready to discuss any further.
  • Mentioned wanting a good gaming experience in Australia -- possible servers in Australia?
  • Big reveals to come at E3
  • These guys say "there has been no official announcement of payment model. Even if you think you know something or have heard something."
  • Will have holiday events
  • Implication is, thus far, anti-bot measures are limited to the fact that content is dynamic (have to dodge telegraphs, nodes of crafting materials will run away from you). This was coming from the PvP team so there is a good chance their knowledge is limited
Jen Gordy - Lead PvP Designer
Chris Lynch - Lead Combat Designer
Hugh Shelton - Lead Class Designer. Beard enthusiast. Classy.
Troy Hewitt - Community Director and Producer. People like his face.
David Bass - Community Manager

Nice bullet points Gyoin! Much appreciated. I loved this interview.

I attended PAX East this past March and attended the Wildstar/Curse after party where they had the demo build available for play near the entrance. I sat down and Played for about 30 minutes before getting up to grab more drinks. I was stopped right away by a man who had been standing against the wall behind me, watching me play and he commented that I was pretty good/caught on fast to the combat and that he'd like to know what I thought about it. So I started chatting with him, told him how interesting the targeting was and that it would take a little getting used to but that overall I was very impressed. That's when he introduced himself as Chris Lynch the lead combat designer! He wanted to pick my brain about ways to improve the game so I asked him to stay there while I grabbed us drinks and also grabbed two of my friends, both of whom are veteran MMO players. So we get back and there is two other guys with him, Troy from this video and I forget the third mans name, a very nice guy though (he was one of the dungeon designers). We ended up chatting about all sorts of things even stuff they weren't supposed to talk about and I won't go into the specifics but we were all drunk (especially Troy, he's a fucking RIOT!) So they started letting things slip and Chris is like "FUCK! I wasn't supposed to say that!" and Troy replies "Oh relax! Lets just have some fun and entice these nerds." After 2 hours the party was winding down and we headed out but not before getting like 8 swag bags each and I ran into Chad Moore on the way out and just had to give him a bro hug and tell him I loved what they were doing, this man was SHITFACED! He grabbed me around the shoulder in a bro-embrace and turned to all the other employees and was like.. "SEE MOTHERFUCKERS! THIS IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT! THIS GUY LOVES WHAT WE ARE DOINGTH! ALL I WANTED WAS FOR THE REALEST MOFO TO COME UP TO ME AND PAT ME ON THE BACK AND SAY GOOD JOB CHAD!" He was just doneski, we all had a laugh and I left with a huge smile and some awesome memories.

I just want to say how great this dev team is. Not only are they awesome people who actually give a fuck about creating something that is first and foremost FUN to play but they actually care about the community. Which is a breath of fresh air. The personality/character of the dev team really shines and shows in the product they are creating. The lighthearted atomosphere with the tint of hilariously dark humor mirrors their personalities to a T.

I did not expect this post to go on like this, lol sorry guys but I just wanted to share the story and my thoughts and feelings with some like minded gamers!

I was also at PAX East, and also at the Curse party! But I didn't have to sit in the 4 hour line, I got swept in by a guy with a press badge :) But alas, I did not put my hands on the game... But I got my hand on 2 sets of swag from the party lol.

btw, I can totally tell you're from MA.

Nice, I didn't wait in line either. My friends and I did the league of legends barcrawl and then showed up when you didn't even need your ticket anymore. The women letting us in gave me over 20 drink tickets. We ended up staying until they kicked us out with the devs :p[DOUBLEPOST=1370621440,1370621063][/DOUBLEPOST]
I was also at PAX East, and also at the Curse party! But I didn't have to sit in the 4 hour line, I got swept in by a guy with a press badge :) But alas, I did not put my hands on the game... But I got my hand on 2 sets of swag from the party lol.

btw, I can totally tell you're from MA.
<.< How can you tell!?!?

General attitude :)

<---- NH

Haha! Truth! Gotta love New Englanders... Most of us are good peeps, though of course there are a fair share of the Massholes out there.

We're neighbors, that's good stuff right there! I'm excited to be playing with some East coasters, for my entire WoW career I played on a West coast server :[

Haha! Truth! Gotta love New Englanders... Most of us are good peeps, though of course there are a fair share of the Massholes out there.

We're neighbors, that's good stuff right there! I'm excited to be playing with some East coasters, for my entire WoW career I played on a West coast server :[
Indeed! We have a healthy base of East Coasters, but also a decent mix of west coasters, euro's, and aussies :)

Indeed! We have a healthy base of East Coasters, but also a decent mix of west coasters, euro's, and aussies :)
Sweet! The server I was on (Dragonmaw) Had quite a few Aussie guilds. Some of my best friends on that server were aussie, good people for sure. Since we have a mix of different people from different places is there any word which timezone server we'd be rolling on?

Sweet! The server I was on (Dragonmaw) Had quite a few Aussie guilds. Some of my best friends on that server were aussie, good people for sure. Since we have a mix of different people from different places is there any word which timezone server we'd be rolling on?
We will be primarily looking for an East Coast server.

Shweet! You guys need to accept my APP!!! I'm here for the long haul if you guys'll have me.

Also how often are you planning on doing the WS podcast?

Shweet! You guys need to accept my APP!!! I'm here for the long haul if you guys'll have me.

Also how often are you planning on doing the WS podcast?
We did GW2 podcasts until we got bored of GW2 itself :p So that's how long we'll keep doing WS podcasts. And that's up to the other officers at the moment. I'll be changing my -1 to +1 soonish, but I still want to see a bit more talking to people directly (and a little less on WS, we're more than just a WS guild y'know :p) And you've already been discussed with about NDA stuff, so keep that in check <3

But anyways, we've derailed this thread enough. Back to the Dev interview!

Fair enough. Yeah I got a slap on the wrist, bad Michael! I'll check out the other forums but I am here for Wildstar mainly :] I'm sure you'll see more of me.

Nice chattin'

Top Bottom