What's new

Discord vs the Forums Statistics are IN. Opinions wanted.

tr1age

Administrator
Staff member
I love Discord. I think it fucking rocks. But what I was noticing is that we are posting links and cool shit in chat not making posts or replying to threads anymore. Even myself.

I loved slack when we had it too. Discord and slack are so well fleshed out for our TO GO lifestyles that TAB is just a wrapping on it at this point in my eyes. So I looked at the stats. This may have to do with the holidays, but it happens in direct relation to when we swapped to Discord.

Here is the graph

View attachment 816

That is a couple thousand session drops.

Now, the interesting part in my mind is yes we dropped significantly on forum activity, however, what we gained was group participation in games and activity between members more.

So the question is: Is it better to be connected with TAB as the landing page for all our important topics and have that instant connection power of Discord, or is it better to have less mobile friendly chat and a higher activity on the site.

I just wanted to see what you all thought, how discord has affected your time on TAB and the Members and how you all see it, feel it.

I don't see Discord as a threat to the forums btw as I see it as the progressive direction to bring things, I am just trying to see how people use it and how we can encourage forum activity as well :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
I actually quite like discord. I think it is worth a potential trade off in forum activity if we are having more activity in voice/text chat. Being in chat and having the convenience of seeing who is in the voice channels promotes hopping on to talk/play and feels far less disconnected then mumble - it's an all in one instead of 2 independent systems which I really like. Condenses everything and makes it more open and approachable for both new and old community members. I also think promoting this 'live' activity will probably be beneficial for getting new members engaged and involved, which to me is even more important then day to day forum activity.

So, overall, I like it. Think it's fine.

P.S. contrary to popular belief I still check the forums multiple times a day, though I am doing it more on the bus and at work so that's why I've been a bit more lurker-ish.

I actually quite like discord. I think it is worth a potential trade off in forum activity if we are having more activity in voice/text chat. Being in chat and having the convenience of seeing who is in the voice channels promotes hopping on to talk/play and feels far less disconnected then mumble - it's an all in one instead of 2 independent systems which I really like. Condenses everything and makes it more open and approachable for both new and old community members. I also think promoting this 'live' activity will probably be beneficial for getting new members engaged and involved, which to me is even more important then day to day forum activity.

So, overall, I like it. Think it's fine.

P.S. contrary to popular belief I still check the forums multiple times a day, though I am doing it more on the bus and at work so that's why I've been a bit more lurker-ish.

Appreciate the comments. I too like Discord and the way it promotes activity. I just want to make sure we all remember to post the important stuff here so those who aren't in chat see it :)

I will admit, I use "the site" far less and stick to the home page for discord and just occasionally check for new posts. I'm sure that's hundreds of clicks right there haha.

That said, discord has actually made playing with others waaaaaaay easier. The trade off is well worth it IMO.

I only use the site and you assholes have been super boring on it lately. Sad face

<3

You could always at least try discord.
Been there, have to do that every weekend to help out a guild to raid with. I hate it. I don't want to have to be on there more than is absolutely necessary.

For me, the mobility that comes with Discord is key. I am rarely on the website during working business hours, so it is nice to have something I can pull up on my phone or get alerts when someone tags me.

As for encouraging forum participation, you probably just need increase the amount of gems people get for starting a new post.

Or, people just need to remember to make new posts. That works too.

No chat colors

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Besides this Kappa

1. Voice quality is the same or lesser than paid services. Usually lesser

2. Web version is extremely clunky and unintuitive

3. Desktop app uses WAY more resources than it should. I guess it's beta but still, I don't like it.

4. Why the fuck do I need to make an account again? This is getting ridiculous.

But there are advantages too! The mobile app for chat notifications makes it much easier to stay in contact with people in the moment. It makes pick up play and impromptu group activities much faster and simpler. We've also had WAY higher participation with our newer members on discord than we ever did with mumble, because of the chat and voice system being combined.

Sure, I miss chat colors too, but that's literally my only gripe. Voice quality is fine. Resources are fine. And really? An additional account? Cmon man. We miss you. That's a silly excuse.

Voice quality is actually higher than mumble which is the gold standard to me. Specially with the ability to change volumes on individual users on the fly for podcasts etc. The mobile app experience is improving everyday which I am happy about. When the API is released it will give us a ton of options as well which is good. You don't have to make an account. It doesn't require verification you just type in whatever you want and it will create a temp user for you. No register and it will delete you when you log out. I dunno what kind of computer you run but if discord the app runs too much resources for you, discord is not the real issue and we need to get you upgraded. By no means am I an ambassador of discord but your reasons seem.... Well... A bit hear say versus actual use.

Regardless. Your choice whether you use it or not. PS we will be adding name colors and titles to the mix soon. Bruce is currently the only unicorn. But there will be more :)

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk

Look, I'm not saying all of you should stop using it. Personally I don't give a single fuck. You just asked why I won't use it, I gave you the reasons. I'm an American which means I'm dug in to my opinion and I'm not going to change my mind about anything, regardless of the other arguments presented to me. Sorry friends, not happening.

I blame my girlfriend for my large drop-off in activity.
Soon I can start blaming work again.

Everything is fine for me, but I am always annoyed when we have to make more and more accounts to do what was pretty simple and easy on the website.
Chat Colors... :(

Top Bottom