What's new

DNA Testing and You

Actually the true question would not be whether we could preserve somebody, but how to reverse the measures that you did to preserve him. But yes, that is it.

Someone that has written it better than I did about brain n stuff:
It's because the cells of the brain are much more fragile, and take much more energy to run than most other cells in the body. Most cells can convert nutrients into energy using anaerobic (without oxygen) and aerobic (with oxygen) respiration. Aerobic respiration is much more efficient, and produces fewer waste products. Anaerobic respiration is not very efficient at all, but it's usually just enough to keep a cell barely alive for a short period of time. The problem is that brain cells can't function anaerobically - without oxygen they simply die.

This is coupled with the fact that our brain processes information by shuttling electrical impulses around in an incredibly complex network. Once neurons start to die, that network begins to collapse and the brain ceases to function. The brain doesn't physically decompose any faster or slower than the rest of the body (well, maybe a little faster, because there isn't much connective tissue), but it's these two factors that mean it will cease to function as a brain very quickly without an oxygen supply.

Lol, seriously huh. Okay we we have this corpse with who knows what chemical in it, now how do we get it out.

It might sound crazy to you, but just putting back fresh blood -could- work. Might be easier on the cells than freezing + thawing. They really hate that.

latest

I mean it makes sense, but wouldn't you have to clear the original blood with no oxygen and then replace it with a substitute in the interim?

Apologize for the thread hijacking, baldo! It's kind of relevant, sorta! :)

I mean it makes sense, but wouldn't you have to clear the original blood with no oxygen and then replace it with a substitute in the interim?

Apologize for the thread hijacking, baldo! It's kind of relevant, sorta! :)

You do both at the same time. It´s something that happens gradually.
Putting this in spoilers because some people might actually like animals and those should not read it.

I´ve seen this done with mice, where you slowly inject the liquid into their blood stream into the vein just after the heart and the still beating hearth distributes it through the body. And there is another pump just before the heart that takes out the blood. We needed to do this to conserve the brain, because as you read, it´s very easy to break.

Top Bottom