What's new

GW2 Dontain's GW2 Machinima call to arms

TIG

I like GOOOOOLLLLD!

Dontain put out a video today to make a plea for either ANet or anyone else to release or make a tool that will let people make machinima in GW2. He makes a lot of good points for it and features some of the best GW2 machinima out there. Including a familiar vid at the 2:45 mark and later. He puts links in the description for every video he samples so if you see something cool you can watch it fully.

I would love a tool like wow model viewer or the valve movie maker that would let me make machinima or even just get the models so I could unfold them for papercraft. I think this video needs to be shared and supported to let ANet see and maybe do something about this lack of movie making tools.

Nice find. I will say this, by definition Machinima "In the machine" is made using the games provided to us. The first Machinima was in Quake. There were no tools.

That being said, advancements like WoW Model viewer were designed by fans of the game for the game.

But before it released there were still good machinima videos.

Yes it is hard to make machinima in GW2. But it isn't impossible without the tools he is asking for. But there, like the players playing the game, is not a lot of WANT for GW2 machinima. Probably because most would be film makers see no 1st person camera angle and give up.

These tools would be awesome, but they might not be the answer. The answer is getting people jazzed enough about the game to want to MAKE the videos in the first place. And there just aren't that many videos out there in GW2 I would say they are on a hand or two counting the good ones.

Having no tools usually inspires people to find ways around it, but not in this case. Maybe it is because we got used to having those tools with WoW and the like.

We shall see...

Now that culling is eliminated I feel we need to do some sort of war story WvWvW machinima. Besides Tristan always does love stories of sorts.

I think dontain is correct when he said that if making GW2 movies were more accessible (movie maker or even 1st person view) there would be more people making them. Easier entry into making vids = more people making them = more people watching = more people wanting to make vids and it goes on and on. IMO.

I think dontain is correct when he said that if making GW2 movies were more accessible (movie maker or even 1st person view) there would be more people making them. Easier entry into making vids = more people making them = more people watching = more people wanting to make vids and it goes on and on. IMO.

THE CIIIIRRCCCLLEEE OF LIFE!!!! Sorry I am tired and stuck at work for an extra shift. This is the first thing that popped into my head when I read your post T1Gs.

Interesting video. Even if I had the tools, for me personally, I think I'd leave the machinima making to the director-types. I would like being a part of the creative team for storyline, but as for execution, I'll leave that to Tristan. :) Maybe I can be listed as 'best boy' in the credits though... that'd be sweet!

I disagree. The amount of WORK that is involved with a tool that is WoW Modelviewer is WAY above the conventional standards of shooting all in game. Green Screening, Layering, After effects... Shadows, walking not skating, yeah it is not easier by far. First person camera is what I agree with, and I expressed my issues directly to them as well during beta but yeah...

More people making does mean more people watching. But it doesn't mean more people enjoying lol.[DOUBLEPOST=1364405140,1364405034][/DOUBLEPOST]
Interesting video. Even if I had the tools, for me personally, I think I'd leave the machinima making to the director-types. I would like being a part of the creative team for storyline, but as for execution, I'll leave that to Tristan. :) Maybe I can be listed as 'best boy' in the credits though... that'd be sweet!

So you wanna come up with the pretty part but not get dirty making it a reality? :) Thanks Kis! Jeeze.

So you wanna come up with the pretty part but not get dirty making it a reality? :) Thanks Kis! Jeeze.

Hey, even the Queen Bee has drones. And I have no problem getting dirty... really, really dirty!
HEY! Let's make a machinima NAO!
/strip

Top Bottom