What's new

Election sucks or How to argument good.

Euchale

Crazy German Guy
Hey everyone,

right now there is election here in Germany and one thing that really pisses me off is that people find it so goddamn important what their politicians do in their private live, and what political parties said at a time where I was not even born. I don´t care if they had 15 wifes. I don´t care if a friend gifted him a toy when he was 4 years old. I don´t care if they cheated on their master thesis. What I care about is what their political believe is. What do they want to do for my country and what do they want to do for myself and how good (which promises did he keep, which ones have been broken) was this politician so far.
If we would ban the following things, arguments would become much better:
1378753471679.jpg

How is your opinion on this? Is it important for you how a politician lives his private live to judge how he is at work?

Sometimes, in the case of Anthony Weiner (NYC mayoral candidate), the decisions a politician makes in his personal life can demonstrate incredibly poor judgment and overshadow everything else he tries to do.

And if you're curious how the German election is going, here's an article a friend posted today. It's about a flyer being distributed by the NDP, a far-right nationalist party (like the Tea Party in the US, the BNP in the UK, or Golden Dawn in Greece) with ties to neo-Nazi groups. The flyer is an anti-immigrant screed, boiling down to "Foreigns go back where ya came from."

Sometimes, in the case of Anthony Weiner (NYC mayoral candidate), the decisions a politician makes in his personal life can demonstrate incredibly poor judgment and overshadow everything else he tries to do.

And if you're curious how the German election is going, here's an article a friend posted today. It's about a flyer being distributed by the NDP, a far-right nationalist party (like the Tea Party in the US, the BNP in the UK, or Golden Dawn in Greece) with ties to neo-Nazi groups. The flyer is an anti-immigrant screed, boiling down to "Foreigns go back where ya came from."

The NPD got their ass handled in the most recent votings (Landtagswahlen, it´s like voting in one state). Only had 0.6%.

Yeah, I don't want to give the impression that Germany's crawling with neo-Nazis. The NDP's influence is minuscule and is dwarfed by the Tea Party, which has actually managed to propel candidates to national office.

It matters.

Choices people make in their personal lives can give indications of their values and integrity, which I would argue are just as important as their political stance, if you believe, like I do, that HOW and WHY some one does something is just as important as WHAT they do. I'm not an ends justify the means person, so I don't want a politician that solves the drug problem by rounding up and executing all the drug dealers in the city. I don't want them accepting bribes or granting personal favors, even if the outcome is lower taxes and better schools.

Something some one did 10 or 15 years ago may or may not still be relevant information. As a responsible voter, it's my job to sort through the mud and BS and make the best decision I can.

Personally, I'd rather have a politician that I disagree with politically than one that I can't trust ethically.

Banning the burden of proof is a terrible idea. If it is used correctly which I will admit that it mostly isn't, It can basically inhibit people from making really stupid dumb ass claims.

He flipped off the media after loosing by a WIDE margin. Bad personal choices sometimes do affect careers.

Top Bottom