Expose the Liar!

Jia

zQKzx.png
Expose the Liar!
Look at the statements below. Are these three people telling the truth?​
If not, expose the liar(s)!​
Don't forget to wrap your answer in a:
ignore_zpsb75c5526.jpg
Chris: If Leonard is lying, then Tina's telling the truth.
Leonard: Chris or Tina - one of them is telling the truth.
Tina: Both Chris and Leonard are telling the truth.

Leonard is lying.

I played a game before called "Two Truths & A Lie" and that would probably lend itself well to the forums if you want to host it Jia.

Basically every player lists three little-known facts about themselves, two truths and one lie, and the other players have to guess which one is the lie. It is a great way to get to know each other, and the more outrageous the facts, the more difficult it is to guess.

For example:

1. Back in the '90s I was a singer in a band that toured globally.
2. I performed in a SuperBowl Half Time Show.
3. I won three Gold Medals in the Rat Olympics where I trained my exceptionally intelligent, rascally rodent to long jump, weight lift and maze race.

Which one is my lie? :)

PS - Didn't mean to hijack your thread... just giving you some ideas for future forum games... you are so good at hosting them!

The first two are true, Kizzy.
Wow you're good :). I only won two medals in the rat olympics btw which was part of my high school Psychology class... Silver for long jump and Gold for weight lifting. My rat's name was "Tarrat" (Rat spelled backwards/forwards). He was so smart!

Wow you're good :). I only won two medals in the rat olympics btw which was part of my high school Psychology class... Silver for long jump and Gold for weight lifting. My rat's name was "Tarrat" (Rat spelled backwards/forwards). He was so smart!
If you recall, you told me about your globally famous singing career while playing GW2. The Superbowl show wasn't a big leap from there. <3

Leonard is lying.

3. I won three Gold Medals in the Rat Olympics where I trained my exceptionally intelligent, rascally rodent to long jump, weight lift and maze race.
Which one is my lie? :)
Wait wait wait... does one teach rats to "maze race" or race mazes".. My earlier gif applies to this as well

The problem cannot be solved.

Chris' statement is an if/then/otherwise statement that is missing the otherwise part. Under certain conditions he can be seen to be either telling the truth, telling a lie, or making a statement that has no bearing on the conversation.

Because the /otherwise part of the statement is missing and cannot be proved true or false, the other statements which are dependent on that cannot be proven.

What happens is a feedback loop where Tina is proved true, which proves Leonard true, which proves Chris a liar, which proves, Tina a liar, which proves Leonard a liar, which proves Chris true (about Leonard lying), which also proves Chris a liar at the same time(about Tina telling the truth), which proves Leonard true (about Chris telling the truth), which proves Tina true, which brings us back to steps 1 and 2. And so on and so on and so on.

Edit: Lets add the /otherwise statement. It has to be a statement unrelated to Leonard or Tina or Chris lying or telling the truth, because to do so would make another feedback loop.

Chris: If Leonard is lying, then Tina's telling the truth. Otherwise, Hydrogen is found on the periodic table.

In this instance the Tina is telling the truth, therefore Leonard is telling the truth, therefore Chris is telling the truth(if statement is proved false so otherwise statement is proved true). So all are telling the truth

The problem cannot be solved.

Chris' statement is an if/then/otherwise statement that is missing the otherwise part. Under certain conditions he can be seen to be either telling the truth, telling a lie, or making a statement that has no bearing on the conversation.

Because the /otherwise part of the statement is missing and cannot be proved true or false, the other statements which are dependent on that cannot be proven.

What happens is a feedback loop where Tina is proved true, which proves Leonard true, which proves Chris a liar, which proves, Tina a liar, which proves Leonard a liar, which proves Chris true (about Leonard lying), which also proves Chris a liar at the same time(about Tina telling the truth), which proves Leonard true (about Chris telling the truth), which proves Tina true, which brings us back to steps 1 and 2. And so on and so on and so on.

Edit: Lets add the /otherwise statement. It has to be a statement unrelated to Leonard or Tina or Chris lying or telling the truth, because to do so would make another feedback loop.

Chris: If Leonard is lying, then Tina's telling the truth. Otherwise, Hydrogen is found on the periodic table.

In this instance the Tina is telling the truth, therefore Leonard is telling the truth, therefore Chris is telling the truth(if statement is proved false so otherwise statement is proved true). So all are telling the truth

Unless they are all lying.

I revise my answer to they are all lying.

Chris is either lying (his if statement is proved true) or has no contribution to the outcome (his if statement is proved false)
Tina is lying because Chris is either lying or not saying an actual truth.
Leonard is lying because Tina is lying and Chris is either lying or has no contribution (see above)
Because Leonard is lying Chris' if statement is proved true saying that Tina is telling the truth. We know she isn't therefore Chris is lying.

It only goes into a feedback loop if you try to find people who are telling the truth. What is interesting to me is how many people look for someone telling the truth vs how many people look for someone telling a lie. It solves easier if you look for the lie, but if you believe in the goodness of people you look for the truth. At least that's how I think.

They are all telling the truth:

Chris: If Leonard is lying, then Tina's telling the truth.
Chris is telling the truth, but since Leonard is also telling the truth; his point is invalid though still truthful. (If statement with no expressed else, the else can then be anything)

Since both Chris & Tina are telling the truth, one of them is, so this is truth. (or statement, if either/both possibilities are true, the outcome is true)

As confirmed earlier, all three are indeed telling the truth. (and statement, confirmed by previous statements)

Leonard's statement is a bit ambiguous... I take it to mean that if he is telling the truth, then only one of either Chris/Tina are truthful, as opposed to at least one. So by that, Tina must be lying. For Leonard to be telling the truth, then, Chris must be telling the truth, but he's not. Even if Leonard is truthful, Chris's statement is still a lie. Doesn't matter if Leonard is actually telling the truth or not to determine whether or not he's lying. So:

Chris: Assume Leonard is lying to prove/disprove his statement. Tina must then be telling the truth. Her statement says for both Chris and Leonard to be telling the truth, which is impossible since Leonard is assumed to be lying. He liiies.

Tina: Have already shown that Chris is lying, so she's lying too. Also, if she wasn't lying then every person would be telling the truth, which invalidates Leonard's statement of either Chris or Tina telling the truth. Moar liez.

Leonard: Since Chris and Tina are both lying, so's this guy.

Lies, all lies! D:

Top Bottom