What's new

Facebook... Is it adding to your stress?

tr1age

Administrator
Staff member
To me the layout of Facebook has become a messy version of Myspace. Random Pictures as if it is Tumblr, pictures of shit you don't care about, random adverts, a very disjointed layout that is from the geocities.com days and social awkwardness. The constant notices on your phone about someone "liking" something giving you no actual feeling of WHY or what made them click it. Closing a conversation before it even begins.

I tell you the best thing I ever did for myself was to turn off Facebook email alerts. My stress dropped significantly when I knew the bbbzzz on my phone was actually important.(Of course also have making rules for the 50th Bed Bath and Beyond 20% off coupon that day to stfu too.)

Even the NYtimes has something to say about it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/09/b...res-the-party-you-werent-invited-to.html?_r=0

And what about that problem Facebook has yet to address: in the case of divorce or breakup, who gets custody of the Mutual Friends? Even if the husband and wife decide to amicably Defriend and spare each other their social updates, a Mutual Friend can be a source of painful news leaks: oh, look, here’s a picture Mutual Friend has posted of a dinner party that includes your ex-husband and his new girlfriend. And damn it, he looks so happy.

Or the idea of using it to feel better about yourself:

I did, however, have the pleasure of looking at the Facebook pictures and seeing how old my friend had become. Or the person I knew from highschool who bullied me was now fat and unemployed!
Sure, there were always socially acceptable white lies or omissions employed to spare a friend’s feeling. But with Facebook and Instagram, they’re harder to carry off.
That out-of-town friend who was too busy with family problems to come visit you after surgery? There he is, surrounded by his buddies, at a balloon festival an eight-hour drive from his home. That tiny little family gathering a couple mentioned as the reason they couldn’t hang out Memorial Day? What are there -- 80 people in their backyard? And what makes it worse is that some of these events look really cool. What are those on the back lawn, lobster pots? And did they actually have fireworks?

I don’t have a lot of illusions about the alternate social universe that is Facebook. I understand that there are unwritten categories that include Friends Who Want Your Job, Friends Who Would Like to Borrow Your Boyfriend, Friends Who Think Your Work Really Stinks. But at least these categories are invisible. As a very funny friend once said, "Do you really want to know what people say behind your back?" And he is correct. Why would you want to know? If you’re feeling that masochistic, you can always Google yourself. There is brutality, the gurgling cesspool of the uncensored id. I am waiting for the inevitable news report of a plunge from a 30th-floor hotel room, and the iPhone left behind on the ledge with that final, anguished tweet: I can read these Comments no longer.
And meanwhile, to you the living, that wide world of Instagram addicts and Facebook users, do not speak of an intimate family gathering, then post pictures of you and several hundred people dancing oceanside.

In the parallel universe that is the real world, it makes waves.

Thoughts?

Facebook is essentially ruining society in a whole in my opinion. It is making it to where illiteracy and stupidity is shown everyday and it's becoming acceptable. Seeing the stuff that is put on there daily by my fellow "friends" is ridiculous. I keep mine mainly for the ability to interact with my friends and what not, but it has caused issues and conflicts between them. As a society we are becoming very alienated from actual communications and becoming so introvert due to advances in technology and "social media" all together. Personally, it's just become such a normal routine to me I don't even think about it. I'll find myself reading the same articles about the same stupid first world problems over and over again, as if I'm a leech. Eventually I just say forget it, laugh, have a drink, and move on.

I am on facebook daily to check in with my friends and family especially the ones around the world. I have been dropping my "acquaintances" friends that feel the need to preach about guns, god, politics, whatever. Made my facebook life so much better. And I also turned off email alerts long long ago.

I really don't take facebook so seriously. I am that guy in your feed who posts cool/funny/wtf pics and videos mostly.

I stopped using FB other than for random personal posts just for the chat feature. If I'm ever on FB, it's generally to either A. Catch up on a news article someone told me they posted or B. Talk to someone who I don't have a phone number for (IE. International people and possibly those who are at work).

I stopped using notifications to my phone/email AGES ago. Definitely made me less clingy to FB. Alttabme helped curb my need for FB as well lol

I more or less skipped Facebook. I was among the first MySpace users before it hit its first million members, and boy did that network leech away my productivity and time.
I knew Facebook would be nothing but trouble for me, so aside from a dummy account that I log into maybe once every two months to visit some musician's FB page for a free music download, FB hardly even exists to me (I don't even notice those omnipresent "recommend" buttons on every other webpage anymore).

I've always felt that FB is evil. I have a very small presence for the benefit of a few in my family that insist that I use it to contact them. I maybe do one update a month.

I liked facebook back when it was intended for college students only (required a .edu email to even access the site). Those were the good days. Now... It's filled with grandmothers and kids.

It's a giant marketing site. The users aren't the customers, the advertisers are. That's why the privacy setttings keep getting messed with.

I use a custom stylesheet, which disables the HOT CHRISTIAN MORTGAGE-REFINANCING SINGLES ads and dramatically improves that ugly layout. I also have friends who post good stuff, and I hide the people that annoy me. (I once blocked someone for using the word "hubby" too many times.)

Once you've got enough barriers set up, it's not so bad. Otherwise, Facebook will bombard you with garbage.

I finally deleted FB off my phone. I am on it WAY too much as it is, but I honestly only ever really interact with my fitness group since they are on FB and that is my only support group for gaining strength and losing weight or whatever.

Also, if anyone else sends me a fucking invite for their ChefVille or Sim whatever the fuck, I will figuratively punch them in their dick or vagina. I am way too busy playing real games like GW2 or PS2 for that nonsense and do not want another invite or reward of "gift". /rant

I do like FB for keeping in touch with my family or friends, but I generally chat with people on the phone if I have their numbers. I'm ready for the next FB/social networking thing.

I never really used Facebook. I have a bogus account just to get coupons and sign up for an occasional contest, but I really don't check it daily or even know how to use all the features. That aggravates much of my family and friends who want to keep in touch with me that way, but I just don't want to do it. I like maintaining my privacy, and while I know you can share what you want with who you want, I guess I prefer just calling them up or writing an old fashioned letter.

Ha. Having a Facebook. I never had a MySpace page and when Facebook became popular I skipped that to. My friends get angry with me sometimes because of it, and I sometimes miss an event invite, but other than that I really don't think I'm missing out. Google already steals enough of my personal information as it is.

Top Bottom