What's new

Ferguson

tr1age

Administrator
Staff member
Have you guys been watching this?
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/08/13/ferguson-police-race-brown-killing/14030889/

This is ridiculous.

FERGUSON, Mo. — Hopes for peace here after three nights of rioting were dashed when another demonstration in the wake of teenager Michael Brown's death brought a huge show of force from both protesters and police.
Antonio French, a St. Louis alderman who had been posting frequent photos and video of the protests and police response, was taken to the Ferguson jail and arrested for unlawful assembly, his wife, Jasenka Benac French, said via Twitter.

Journalists in the St. Louis suburb to cover the fray wound up being part of the story when two were detained at a McDonald's restaurant where members of the media were charging cellphones and writing.

Reporters Wesley Lowery of The Washington Post and Ryan Reilly of The Huffington Post said on Twitter that police told them to stop recording the chaos, then took them into custody.

Brown, a black teenager, died Saturday after being shot by a police officer. The 18-year-old was unarmed.
African Americans are two-thirds of the population of this St. Louis suburb, but they account for nine out of 10 stops by police. The 53-member police force includes three African Americans.
That disparity has led to long-simmering tensions that flared when a police officer, still unidentified, fatally shot Brown, who was walking to his grandmother's home Saturday afternoon with a friend.

Throughout the city on Wednesday, dozens of officers set up barricades, blocking most main roads. As the sun set, the loud flash of grenades and the whir of helicopters filled the area. Tear gas was dispersed, so much that the stinging air lingered for hours.

Members of the crowd hurled Molotov cocktails and other objects at police, according to the Associated Press.
Police yelled "Hold the line" and "Stop your vehicle." As three vehicles approached a QuickTrip store that had burned on Sunday night, officers in bulletproof vests drew and pointed rifles at the cars.

The sound of apparent gunshots was heard nearby and police officers began to back away from protesters who approached them with their hands raised.

I have been disgusted with police culture in this country for a long time. Not that it is at all unanimous, but there is far too much 'us vs. them' mentality infused in officers, adding to the 'war on the streets'... In response to this advancement specifically, I am tired of people thinking it is okay to silence the media.... It is never okay. :(

Can't really comment on the incident that sparked all of it, since there's not much info about it and the kid's friend's side of the story seems a little... one-sided. That said, messing with the press and people just trying to record what is happening is a pretty good way to make the entire department definitely look like the bad guy. Not sure what they're thinking there.

Can't really comment on the incident that sparked all of it, since there's not much info about it and the kid's friend's side of the story seems a little... one-sided. That said, messing with the press and people just trying to record what is happening is a pretty good way to make the entire department definitely look like the bad guy. Not sure what they're thinking there.

Yeah I have no idea about the friend's story, seems a bit ridiculous, but ridiculous shit does happen, so it's possible. Either way, dude wasn't armed. I am just sad that there are officers (though it seems like we get these 'bad nuts' of entire cities where obviously their training was a bit off) creating animosity against themselves, while hurting others out-right... People having reason to fear and distrust law enforcement is not good at all.

Yeah I have no idea about the friend's story, seems a bit ridiculous, but ridiculous shit does happen, so it's possible. Either way, dude wasn't armed. I am just sad that there are officers (though it seems like we get these 'bad nuts' of entire cities where obviously their training was a bit off) creating animosity against themselves, while hurting others out-right... People having reason to fear and distrust law enforcement is not good at all.

For sure, the story does seem fishy. Granted, isn't the whole reason cops are given tasers to prevent shit like this? Maybe it is just as bad as the kid said, since if it wasn't you'd think they would have been a lot more transparent about it to keep people assuming the worst and going ape-shit. At this point it's probably too late. Who would believe them?

I don't at all want to condone police violence or anything like that, because yeah there are corrupt cops and it sucks, but have you guys seen the pictures of what the civilians are doing? They are looting and destroying stores, setting buildings on fire, I think I even saw one store front where the roof caved in from something.

Basically, both sides are acting completely and utterly wrong. The cops are (probably) unskilled/untrained to handle THIS type of rioting and violence in the public, so they resort to unnecessary and corrupted acts of violence. Which in turn upsets the civilians, who escalate from peaceful protests, to violent protests, to flat out looting and raiding.

It's a vicious cycle, both parties acting this way, escalates the other side and it keeps going. I seriously hope a solution can be found soon, because pretty soon there won't be much left of the town!

Plainly disgusting. I will come from the other point of view as exitus (not saying i disagree at all with her statement, but this is the rant/discussion section so i shall) and say that ofc i dont condone violent protests because it hurts innocent people, but when peaceful protests get you no where, as they have for (insert timeframe here) there is only one way to go, and that is up. This news is common occurrence in America, and I bet we only hear about half (if that) of the actual cases. It seem the only way things make the news these days is if heavy violence is involved, and so to bring this to light (and try make a change) violence is enacted. Ofc you will always have people who riot to riot, but majority are sick of the oppression and plain racism they recieve on day to day IN THE 21ST CENTURY.

The cycle doesnt begin with the shooting, the cycle begins from birth if you are viewed and treated as a lesser human being since your born escaping the cycle is near impossible.

Police should always be held to a higher degree of accountability then the civilians they have sworn to 'protect'.

Edit: Sometimes to build something new, you need to tear down the old

Top Bottom