What's new

MMO First MMO?

Never too late!
Honestly I think it is too late at least for EQ. It is really hard to believe that it's been just 21 years since that game felt like the pinnacle of video games to me but it was. However when I look at screenshots I have from that era and when I tried playing on one of the private EQ servers years ago it was a real gut punch to realize that those days may have been fun but they are firmly lost to time. It took me years to level up and gear up my Shaman in EQ and I enjoyed every minute of it. My biggest hope is that some new MMO may one day give me the same kind of joy ride that I had with EQ. Something with a modern game engine that uses modern post processing effects but still has the old school design queues.

Honestly I think it is too late at least for EQ. It is really hard to believe that it's been just 21 years since that game felt like the pinnacle of video games to me but it was. However when I look at screenshots I have from that era and when I tried playing on one of the private EQ servers years ago it was a real gut punch to realize that those days may have been fun but they are firmly lost to time. It took me years to level up and gear up my Shaman in EQ and I enjoyed every minute of it. My biggest hope is that some new MMO may one day give me the same kind of joy ride that I had with EQ. Something with a modern game engine that uses modern post processing effects but still has the old school design queues.
Yeah I feel ya, nostalgia chasing is dangerous. Don’t try to recreate nostalgia for the sake of nostalgia. Games can change on a dime, and that's good. I would rather create new memories and nostalgia then dwell on the old memories and fail to try to recreate such gems.

First MMO - The Original Neverwinter Nights - played via AOL on my Tandy 1000 with a 13 inch CGA monitor and 2400 baud modem. I spent lots and lots of hours, lots of cash (it was a pay by the hour service back then), and copious amounts of alcohol playing that D&D game way back in 1992.

Another one that comes to mind is Frontier: First Encounters. I played that in 1995, while it wasn't an MMO, it did lead me to start playing what I deem my first modern MMO, Elite Dangerous in 2015. I still play this today...

My first "MMO" was some pay-to-win Diablo knockoff called Mu Online. I spent a good deal of time in WoW, on and off, but played a lot of Guild Wars , especially once I met someone who had been playing since alpha and showed me how to actually enjoy it. I played a lot of Guild Wars 2 and I come back to it from time to time as well. I played a bit of LOTRO, at least through the Moria (awesome) and Mirkwood (eh) expansions.

Anyone remember "Gunz"? It was an awesome FPS MMO type game where you ran on walls with bullet time and gunz and also swords.

Anyone remember "Gunz"? It was an awesome FPS MMO type game where you ran on walls with bullet time and gunz and also swords.
Absolutely! This felt like it was ahead of its time. I remember seeing the occasional person playing "K-Style" (some kind of animation cancel trick) and zooming over levels at impossible speeds, bouncing off the walls.

I was working at an arcade at the time and we had this one regular that would always come in and tell us all these crazy stories about playing UO. He would tell us how they would put on masks and go around pretending to be orcs and such, I remember thinking it sounded pretty dumb at the time as I was mostly just a FPS player at the time. A week or so later we all decided to try it and I was immediately hooked. I remember starting out wanting to be a good guy but by the end realizing the villainy was far more profitable.

Most memorable act of Villainy was pretending to be good guys and joining this guild called "Lords of Light" it was run by a guy named WARWIZARD they were recruiting to be anti pks. After joining we waited till all the members went to bed and added all of our alts to the guild. In UO you could vote out the guild leader if enough people voted for a new guild leader, so we did just that and my boss at work became the new guild leader renamed the guild to "The Pageboys" and then went on a murder spree with our new guild. A week later I roll into town and just outside town I notice WARWIZARD there, murdering people, welcome to the darkside friend!

World of Warcraft was the first MMO I played. I had started playing right before the Burning crusade was launched and played all the way up to the last expansion. Now I took breaks, like when I was deployed or when I lived in Germany, but I stopped playing because I have a problem….. when I get set on an MMO I MUST grind to get the gear, levels, and everything. I hate being behind the guild members! The real problem was playing from the time I got off work until 1-2 am, taking a 1hour nap then going back to work. Hahaha. It was not good. The wife also didn’t approve.
So now I just “don’t” MMO…. I can’t afford to be sucked back in to the abysmal world

I used to play a game called S4 League which many people compared to Gunz!!
As for questing leveling open world, my first was Perfect World International. Played the chicks that turned into foxes 😂😂

I knew some people who had EverQuest and, while I spent a decent amount of time watching them play, I didn't actually play it myself until years later. However, when my roommate got Star Wars Galaxies, I was MUCH more interested in playing! Perhaps the theme was simply more my speed, being the franchise that it is. So SWG was officially the first mmo I got to play. That being said, the first mmo that I actually bought and had my own account was City of Heroes. Even more appealing to me than Star Wars, the comic book/superhero genre has always been one of my favs. It was due to CoH that I was about 6 months late to the party known as World of Warcraft.

UO on a free shard. I spent so many hours on that. Honestly I don't remember 'playing' it that much. Most of the time I just logged in and chatted. It was a small shard but we were all very close. In fact it was my first boyfriend that introduced me to it and then once we'd split up 4 years later I met my second boyfriend on there! There was a huge age range on there, from teens to someone in their 70s. Only 2 of us were tamers so we ruled the market there and I had some uniquely hued mares and dragons that the other tamer, Lord Crow, had tamed for me during an event. Power scrolls weren't needed and you could train up all skills but there was no accelerated gain. I remember spending 16 hours one day to go from 90 - 100 mining. I have no clue why but I tamed a walrus and called it Chrystan, after the shard owner, and would turn up with it to the weekly events just to wind him up. I've continued that tradition on and Pevil now always has a tamed walrus in her stable. Sadly that shard disappeared sometime around 2006 I think. I've continued on and off on OSI but it just doesn't feel right. UOAlive however is starting to feel like home now.

UO started a big MMO addiction though. EQ2, WoW, Guild Wars (though I don't class that as a 'true' MMO with the instanced hubs and quest areas for just your party), Guild Wars 2, Silk Road Online, various tiny ones no one has ever heard of and I don't remember, Istaria (formerly known as Horizons and one I still play), FFXIV, ESO, New World, LotRO, Age of Conan, Vanguard... I'm sure I'm missing a load off the list.

My first MMO was Lineage. We used to play in high school during Comp Sci class, alt-tabbing in and out when the teacher walked by. =D

I played a few other MMOs since, including RO, WoW (Vanilla/BC/Lich King), Lineage 2 (mostly Beta), and Guild Wars 1 & 2. I also play a lot of dungeon crawlers like Diablo and Torchlight, which have a bit of the same loot grind feel with less community.

Top Bottom