What's new

Gyoin Needs Computer Help

It's a nice machine. Pretty much top of the line stuff you are going to be getting and won't be quickly in need of replacing soon. While there may be new chipsets and GPUs coming out over the next few months I don't think you'll see a benefit in waiting because of the price those new components will fetch. Something like this should keep you a good 3-4 years no problem and might even last longer than that depending on how things go in the industry.

It's a nice machine. Pretty much top of the line stuff you are going to be getting and won't be quickly in need of replacing soon. While there may be new chipsets and GPUs coming out over the next few months I don't think you'll see a benefit in waiting because of the price those new components will fetch. Something like this should keep you a good 3-4 years no problem and might even last longer than that depending on how things go in the industry.

And that's my worry. Trying to time the market with buying a piece of machinery that could be outdated anywhere between a day and six months.

Let's just say, I have about 2600 ear tagged for a laptop. I love Asus ROG, that's what I've been using for years. Obviously Asus won't tell me "oh, yeah, planning a new model next week!" because that will halter sales on their current model.

I also keep up with this blog, which is actually the blog I used to build my first PC: http://www.hardware-revolution.com/

He periodically updates his articles and has a series on laptops. He is an enthusiast so this is everything he has learned on his own, rather than being formally educated in techie things.

I have a beast of a Dell and really enjoy it. Not really a game I can't play on it on highest settings and still run without overheating.

Asus is the best brand.
Actually it's Lenovo, there are reasons why those are the only ones that are used in outer space (ISS).

So the new intel CPU architecture is coming out very soon and should have some serious gains for mobile platforms. They should start rolling out in September. Might be worth reading into a bit if you are considering holding off for a few.
The latest architectures aren't going to change much (Moore's Law yadayada, it's going to be boring for most of you if I explain it). The 10-20% boost in CPU performance isn't going to cause a noticeable bump in FPS. The wait is only worth it if you want to get a cheap laptop (~$500) with integrated graphics. Last year Intel's production got messed up and they never were able to release cheap processors that had integrated graphics that allowed you to play games at minimum-medium settings like 2 years ago. Big hole in the market right there. :)

Nvidia is going to release their Pascal architecture GPU's somewhere next year, if your current laptop can handle all the games then keep it and wait. Pascal will be twice as powerful as the current Maxwell GPU's.

Steps for finding the best laptop (for energy efficiency's sake we're not looking for AMD parts):

0. Is it big enough? 15" or 17" is how it usually goes.

1. Does it have an Intel processor with a 'Q' in the model number? If so keep looking at it.
i3,i5,i7 blablabla. Some i3's are as good as an i5. Q = true quadcore, not just 2 cores + hyperthreading. Preferably have a 'QM', the M means that it doesn't have temperature limiting. -> 'QM' = true performance. ('U' means low power, it won't be as powerful as it could have been).
Intel's 2015 Skylake architecture will be more efficient though, meaning that low-power processors will have better performance.

2. Does it have an Nvidia 980M? No? Look at another laptop.
The 980M is the best GPU for laptops out there right now until Pascal reaches the market.

4. Get an SSD and install Windows on there if it doesn't have a 256GB SSD on there already. Then format the existing HDD and install your games on there.
It'll give you more all-around responsiveness in every program but games don't load that much faster on an SSD.

5. Get, no what am I saying, BUILD a pc. It's dead easy, driving a car is even harder.
Normally you should be able to build a very small form factor computer that can be mounted at the back of a computer screen, that way it won't take much more space than a laptop. That includes a GTX 980 Ti. :)

. Get, no what am I saying, BUILD a pc. It's dead easy, driving a car is even harder.

Since you've been out of the loop Raz, I know a PC is the way to go when you have the space for it. I currently do not have a desk or an area to put a desk for a PC. It won't happen. Hence the laptop.

The link I gave it what I was looking at before - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2562&cm_re=asus_laptop-_-34-232-562-_-Product

Maybe I will just throw the money at it. I mean, this is practically found money.

Sorry Gyoin, forgot to add that you can build a PC that doesn't take much more space than a laptop. Editted my last post. ^^

EDIT: And yes that laptop should do it, you won't get anything better than that for a while.

Sorry Gyoin, forgot to add that you can build a PC that doesn't take much more space than a laptop. Editted my last post. ^^

EDIT: And yes that laptop should do it, you won't get anything better than that for a while.
Can I just say I miss you and I love your toukyou kushu avatar? That's all.

I YOLO'd a little and bought it.

Good news is, I used one of my "marketplace" sites to get 1% cash back and used my credit card for 1.5% cash back, so at least that's something!

That seems like a pretty good deal you got there. I've been toying with the idea of investing in a laptop so I can game while Mallory is working instead of getting on at 2am most days. Probably going to hold off for the new architecture just to see, perhaps I'll even wait for the new gpus coming out sometime next year; I think between the two we should see some pretty large performance gains. That being said always looking to the horizon results in always feeling dissatisfied in your purchase. I also just dropped 5k on a TV so no big purchases for a while

Sent from Moto X using Tapatalk.

That seems like a pretty good deal you got there. I've been toying with the idea of investing in a laptop so I can game while Mallory is working instead of getting on at 2am most days. Probably going to hold off for the new architecture just to see, perhaps I'll even wait for the new gpus coming out sometime next year; I think between the two we should see some pretty large performance gains. That being said always looking to the horizon results in always feeling dissatisfied in your purchase. I also just dropped 5k on a TV so no big purchases for a while

Yeah, I figured I might as well buy now. Even if the new processors are coming next month, it will jump my pricing and be out of my range. It'll just be better to get this now then to try to finagle a "coming soon".

Even if the new processors are coming next month, it will jump my pricing and be out of my range.
to tell the truth, pricing for the new stuff that came out "yesterday" will be at a premium. anything new will take a few months to come down in price. Feel good about your purchase because it will last you longer that the laptop will survive probably. At least that is my experience.

Top Bottom