What's new

Help with upgrades

Passage

Polychromatic
I've been hesitant to post my machine specs because they're so dated (I built this machine in 08), but I haven't had issues running a game up until Wildstar. I've been running the last few totems in vWotW at 4 fps on ultra-low thanks to the moodie mobs, and that world boss trash yesterday for Dainj was just as bad. Raiding is going to be difficult, and 40-mans are going to be impossible.

I'm looking to stagger the upgrade for my components, but am unsure which pieces I should prioritize.

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 (775)
CPU Fan: After-market, can't remember which.
Mobo: Asus P5K Deluxe
RAM: 16GB Corsair Doms (DDR2/1600)
GPU: EVGA GTX 760 (upgraded recently)

HD: Non-SSD, SATA
PSU: 650w Cooler Master
Case: Sentey 6410

Network: Wired 25/10 (?)

I prefer not to OC anything.

I feel like the best option is an 1150 mobo + DDR3 sticks + i5/7 CPU all at the same time. I can make this a staggered purchase, but not a staggered install since the sockets for those three items are different from what I currently have. I've wondered about running an SLI 760, but I feel like the rest of the stuff is so old that it's just going to bottleneck the GPUs.

I know a bit about computer building, but not enough to be entirely confident in my decision. Any help is appreciated!

I would try nprime nameplates or optiplates first. I have a good computer but without a nameplate mod WotW wrecks me.

Biji has a wotw "fix" in the options, which helped me when I used to use those. When I used Biji and didn't have that option checked my fps suffered quite a bit.

I've switched over to nprime and have no issues in wotw anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll try nprime to start then. Even with the Biji option, it doesn't sound like it'll help with the other situations. I even tried running in alt+z mode with no UI to see if that would help. No luck!

Yea I also stopped using Biji since there would be no more support for it. Plus I needed a cleanse indicator as a healer, so yeah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you basically nailed it with your upgrade plan, that's exactly what I would do. I'm by no means super up and up on gear though.

If you are in the market for a new case check out the coolermaster scout, its very similiar to the antec p183 I have but a little smaller and lighter.

Ill post my pc specs on when i find them, but i was running an almost identical build to urs (including the 1150 mobo, i5, and ddr3) and i could run any and everything on high/ultra depending on the game. So i would say ur definitely aiming the right way!

If you are in the market for a new case check out the coolermaster scout, its very similiar to the antec p183 I have but a little smaller and lighter.

The Sentey is only a year or so old, but the Cooler Master is very nice! Once the other items get resolved I will be looking for a quieter case. Mine is pretty damn loud.

Ill post my pc specs on when i find them, but i was running an almost identical build to urs (including the 1150 mobo, i5, and ddr3) and i could run any and everything on high/ultra depending on the game. So i would say ur definitely aiming the right way!

Good to know! How's WS running for you (Thay'd/WotW)?

i would say if you are almost bottle necked right now with that graphics card, you should defiantly go with the upgrades on other components before the video card.

I'd say just buy a motherboard+Cpu+RAM combo and be done with it, and if you have some extra $$ buy a SSD for OS and your main games exclusively.

- I'd go with a z97 Board of your choice ++ My Choice ++
- I5 4690 CPU unless you want to Edit video then an I7 4790 would be better but pricier, DON'T buy the older versions i5 4670 or i7 4770 as they are pretty much the same price but run hotter and a tiny bit slower. + ++ My choice ++
- The RAM of your choice, IF you are not running a crazy amount of tasks or doing editing, you don't NEED 16GB you can VERY easily do with just 8 GB for gaming. ++ My Choice ++
- An SSD of your choice hopefully above the 160GB mark will do very nicely in performance upgrade wise, faster booting and faster loading game times. ++ My choice ++

Total for a beast upgrade about $590

Besides that keep everything else the same! even the Cpu aftermarket fan if it fits the new socket but you don't actually need it per se.. your are not OC'ing anything.

Good Luck friend!

EDIT: I'm stupid.

Good to know! How's WS running for you (Thay'd/WotW)

I was running it perfectly, didnt have the slightest problem with thayd and WotW if i turned off the bijiplates it worked compltely smoothly. Also loading screens and dungeon runs and all the bizz were fast and smooth. I would definitely recommend this build, which is pretty much what you have been thinking about, and probably just a bit cheaper to what thov has explained above (as its a bit older, but dont know if it will bottleneck future upgrades to ur GPU. Id probably compare the two just for longeivity vs price)

1 x Intel Core i5 4570 Quad Core LGA 1150 3.2GHz (3.6GHz Turbo) Processor
ASUS Z87-C Motherboard
Galaxy GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card
Thermaltake 550W SMART 80Plus Bronze Power Supply
Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 3.5" 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive

you can probably save a little bit by going the panda way and buying the previous gen CPU and motherboard...
tho the difference in price is negligible IMHO

i5 4690 = $224
i5 4670 = $220 (older)
just as an example...

Motherboards are completely different topic, depending on the features you are looking for and brand they range from less than $100 to over $300 so I'll leave that to you... I'd like to add that the newer processors DO work on SOME Z87 boards with a bios upgrade.. or you could just get a Z97 with native compatibility from the start, your call obviously.

want to save as much as possible? This one looks good and cheap.

I downloaded nPlates last night and tested it out in thay'd. Saw a 3-6 frame increase even though I had the NPC plates off with Biji and on in nPlates. So that's a good start! Looking forward to trying WotW this evening.

I was looking at the MSI ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97 GAMING 5 and the Intel Core i5-4690S LGA 1150 - BX80646I54690S. I like that both recommendations are near this, so I don't feel too far off. The i7 and 4790 are too OP for my gaming needs.

When I added the CPU to my Wish List, there was a bigger price difference between the 4690S and the 4690 (I'm not going to need the K). The price difference is negligible now at $10, so I'll probably go for the 4690. I don't feel like the S is necessarily a bad choice for a single GPU, but the 4690 would be better if I decide to SLI, yes?

----
(5 min later)
----

I just found this bundle with Gaming 5 and the 4690K. If I decide to get that, it'll be like upgrading from the 4690 to the K for 5 bucks. Hmm...

So!

3+ months later, I went ahead and bought:
  • Gigabyte Gaming 5 Mobo
    • Since this is a micro-ATX board (the price was right for the bundle), I may have trouble running SLI if I decide so in the future. A GTX 760 plugged into the lower PCI-X port practically crushes the cable plugs that manage the tower, and I also would not be able to install a WiFi card.
  • i5 4690k
  • Corsair Vengence 16gb DDR3 (2x 8gb)
  • Rosewill 650w PSU
    • Despite having the same wattage as my old PSU, this one came with a different set of plugs, and I can now completely power and use the features built into my tower chassis :USB, SATA, and card reader.
I'm still using:
I scrapped:
  • Cooler Master CPU fan and am using the stock fan that came with the CPU. Turns out the Cooler Master fan is where most of my noise was coming from.
Though I can't test it out in Wildstar now as I would have liked to, I can say that my FPS in my WoW Garrison jumped from an avg. of 27 FPS on Low to an avg. of 103 FPS on Ultra. The 40m Molten Core event was almost unplayable, but there are no issues now.

Even with the same GPU and RAM size, it looks like the CPU/mobo/DDR2 really were bottlenecking the machine (ha!).

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Top Bottom