What's new

Here is an open challenge to anyone who wants it.

tr1age

Administrator
Staff member
This Sunday I went to a Memorial Day event. It was kinda chilly that day, not winter coat style, but a light jacket was almost too much but in the shade it was amazing.

So, I like this jacket I got in California. It is fake leather, with a hood attached, no actual sweatshirt in the center, so it stays cool but works great on days just like Saturday was. Plus it is stylish and I figured meeting my friends friends, BBQ, not completely casual but comfy nice.

Anyway, with that stage set and the mindset I was in, I get there and BAM insult after insult:

"What are you cold?"
"Why the fuck are you wearing a leather jacket, it is hot out?!"
"Really? A leather jacket?"

If I took it off:

"I think you should get your jacket, getting a little cold"
"If you had your jacket you would have made that(playing a game)"
"Finally took the jacket off? Isn't that better?"

I could go on, but it wasn't just teasing, it was literally a barrage of insults, flying from their mouths with smiles on their faces. And I couldn't believe it really. I was taken aback. And like a fucking idiot I am sitting there defending myself through:

"Well it is light, feel it! Seriously!"
"Look I have my jacket on, deal with it!"
"Look I took it off, happy now?"
"Are you cold now?(when I saw someone shiver when it actually got cold so I was getting my revenge)"

Because I went to another BBQ with a Russian family a few weeks back, and I wore the exact same jacket. And it was even hotter. They either complimented the jacket, or said JACK SHIT, and worried about the BBQ, fun, and lively conversation.

So I know this is a human condition thing more than an American vs European thing, but at the same time it is exactly what it is MMMERIICA.

So here is what I am challenging you to: How can you actively go through the day without popping off some smirky, snarky, or "sarcastic" joke at someone else's expense? Sarcastic these days seems to imply, I can insult you with no repercussions. I am a huge proponent of the sarcastic comments and the small quips here and there at your toes. I do it as much as anyone. And I guess for some reason this one time it REALLY stood out to me. So why not, instead of taking up so much air with shit that is meaningless and potentially hurtful, you think of one nice thing you can say to someone.

I bet you get weirder looks when you do that as well. So do me a favor, share you experiences here if you do it. How do people react to you turning the tables on their remarks and being nice in return? Do they apologize, loose eye contact, attack harder, shut up, or think you are trying to be clever?

Good luck! This message will not self destruct, it will actually help to build relationships and personal interactions with those around you.

Hmm. I usually tend to go the other route of "Poor me, you hurt my feelings" and get a more awkward reaction. Or in your case, you just keep piling it on to make it worse. </3

But this is just one of those great examples of human interaction that seems to have gone extinct. Fighting vinegar with honey. I'd love to hear some of the reactions people actually get.

One of my favorite things to do is compliment strangers out in the wild! The reactions vary though.. like.. A LOT. Eye contact is pretty important here so the person doesn't assume you're being sarcastic/mean. It's a great feeling though when someone knows you actually mean it and you see them walking away with a smile!
As for being polite towards someone else's sarcastic comments, most of the time they just look bored with me S:

I don't know the people in the first scenario or anything, so I can't really judge them, but they seem like douchebags.

That would be hard for me at my job. Half of my interactions with my co-workers is sarcastic and or mean. you know, its dudes saying crap cause they cant deal with the feels yo.

That would be hard for me at my job. Half of my interactions with my co-workers is sarcastic and or mean. you know, its dudes saying crap cause they cant deal with the feels yo.

Which is exactly why I feel like if we all made more of an effort NOT to, it would be good.

Boo, at our work its back and forth, but in a fun way. Like earlier, a guy is asking about some dimensions on this tower and we are in a group of 4 talking. He tried to call his supervisor and he didn't answer. "[Insert name] didn't pick up and i need login for this site" my witty comment was "He saw you were calling"

But i will take the challenge and try it tomorrow

Which is exactly why I feel like if we all made more of an effort NOT to, it would be good.

That will never happen. You need titanium armor at my job, between co-workers taking constant jabs at each other and then dealing with the scumbags. That will never ever stop. Could you theoretically cut out some of that between COs? Yes, but you would have to completely improve the working atmosphere and pull our morale out of the eighth level of hell that its currently in. We jab at each other, joke, talk dirty, etc to keep from not going insane working the job we do.

That will never happen. You need titanium armor at my job, between co-workers taking constant jabs at each other and then dealing with the scumbags. That will never ever stop. Could you theoretically cut out some of that between COs? Yes, but you would have to completely improve the working atmosphere and pull our morale out of the eighth level of hell that its currently in. We jab at each other, joke, talk dirty, etc to keep from not going insane working the job we do.

It isn't like that in every culture.

It is considered extremely rude to quip or insult strangers in England, but not in certain parts of Australia. I feel rather uncomfortable when someone does this. It's fine between friends when you get to know someone, but how well you know someone before you throw 'casual' insults their way is very different between the UK and Aus.

When I first arrived, I would stare at people and frown in stoney silence, having very little idea what to say back and no desire to reciprocate an insult. It was uncomfortable for everyone involved. If you ever made me pause on mumble, you'd know exactly what this is. I guess I've got more used to it in the last year or so, but I still don't like it.

I try to keep my quippy side with my close friends and family. Mostly cuz I don't want to get punched in the face.

But seriously, if you don't want to get made fun off, don't wear a stupid jacket.:alien13:

My problem is when someone has no filter; I can stand my ground just fine in this kind of situation, but when they turn on people that aren't interested in their crap it really pisses me off. I think I watched a documentary on what causes this in American culture more so then others, wish I could remember what it was called.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

My problem is when someone has no filter; I can stand my ground just fine in this kind of situation, but when they turn on people that aren't interested in their crap it really pisses me off. I think I watched a documentary on what causes this in American culture more so then others, wish I could remember what it was called.

American History X? *shivers* watched that in my high school auto class

Haha, no it was an actual documentary

Looking over this again, I would have to say that I would just throw it back in their face. Some people need to know they crossed a line and most of the time they have to hear it in a way they understand.

I would have said something along the lines of "you are just jealous of my style" and if they kept going, "that was funny the first 2 times, but don't you have any new material?" Turn it on them to say they are the ones being socially awkward and not you. It also shows they don't bother you. If you show it does it's kinda a blood in the water situation and they will keep digging in the knife. Some people just don't get the hint and you have to shove it in their face for them to understand.

Looking over this again, I would have to say that I would just throw it back in their face. Some people need to know they crossed a line and most of the time they have to hear it in a way they understand.

I would have said something along the lines of "you are just jealous of my style" and if they kept going, "that was funny the first 2 times, but don't you have any new material?" Turn it on them to say they are the ones being socially awkward and not you. It also shows they don't bother you. If you show it does it's kinda a blood in the water situation and they will keep digging in the knife. Some people just don't get the hint and you have to shove it in their face for them to understand.

Thats how i am pretty much everyday. Just throw it right back at them. But i think Tristan was getting at was we need to challenge ourselves to not be whitty or sarcastic back and see if we can do it or not. I tried the challenge today and it is harder than it sounds. I'm gonna try again tomorrow.

Top Bottom