What's new

How much do you pay for food per week?

Jia

Edit: I managed to derail another thread with his post, so I decided to move it to a new thread. I'll follow up on this soon to prove that it is possible to live on 10 Euros a week in Germany.

$20 (which would end up being 20 Euros, I bet) would be a pretty hefty price to pay each month, though. When I'm on a really tight budget, I can buy nearly two weeks of food with that amount of cash. There is no way that I would be willing to pay for that high of a subscription fee.

Huh. two weeks on 20 bucks for food... Nope. I couldn't pull that off unless all I ate was rice or ramen. Even then, it's a stretch.

I mean, last night alone I paid about 40 bucks for me and Caroline to go out to dinner, on a cheap night. Paying 20 bucks for a game a month would actually be cheaper for me than my current lifestyle, as I wouldn't go out to eat nearly as often (because I'd want to play instead).

$20 (which would end up being 20 Euros, I bet) would be a pretty hefty price to pay each month, though. When I'm on a really tight budget, I can buy nearly two weeks of food with that amount of cash. There is no way that I would be willing to pay for that high of a subscription fee.
2 weeks of food for $20? Damn, Its more like $250 of food for 2 weeks lol but i also have 4 people to feed

Vegetables (potatoes are super cheap!), rice, eggs, fruit, soup... if you look in the right places, you can eat cheap here in Europe (unless you prefer not to cook for yourself).

But that's beside the point - if $20 is how much you tip a waiter on a regular night out at a good restaurant, then sure, it's not much of a sacrifice. If $20 (or 20 Euros) can buy you food for two weeks, you'll think differently.

But that's beside the point - if $20 is how much you tip a waiter on a regular night out at a good restaurant, then sure, it's not much of a sacrifice. If $20 (or 20 Euros) can buy you food for two weeks, you'll think differently.
And that's completely understandable. I'm definitely not fighting you in the sense of "omg you cheapskate!" It's more of a "Wow. That sucks. I'm sorry:"

Even by myself 20 bucks isnt going to take you anywhere.
It's kind of weird that the conversion rate of dollar - euro is 1:1, but food prices vary that heavily... Of course, being fat americans, we probably just eat more so it's a better market over here than there.

And that's completely understandable. I'm definitely not fighting you in the sense of "omg you cheapskate!" It's more of a "Wow. That sucks. I'm sorry:"
Like I said, that's when I'm on a really tight budget. During my student years I was well below the poverty line.
But I find it helpful thinking back to those times, it can help put things into the right perspective.[DOUBLEPOST=1368799780,1368799499][/DOUBLEPOST]Man, I'm sorry, I didn't want to throw this thread off-topic - the whole food-for-two-weeks thing was just to explain my reasoning regarding high subscription fees.
Maybe one of these days I'll go shopping for 20 Euros, take a picture of the food and post it in a new thread.

Like I said, that's when I'm on a really tight budget. During my student years I was well below the poverty line.
But I find it helpful thinking back to those times, it can help put things into the right perspective.
My (luckily) brief unemployment stint was really the only time I was "tight" on my budget. Of course, I've always been VERY good at money management. Even with sudden expenses (like my flat tire this weekend), I've always had enough to cover them. Bills always on time, credit card always clean... But again, that's just who I am. That's always been priority number 1 in my life, making sure I have money, and enough of it to cover anything I'd need. Barring any outrageous medical fee's, I'd be able to pull it off.

I've also been working since I was 14. I'm also pretty cheap when it comes to frivelous purchases (going out to dinner means going out during happy hour and ordering items that are discounted and such). I'm also very lucky that I didn't end up in the current cycle of "I need X before I can do Y, but I need Y in order to get X" scenario (x=job, Y=car for example).

I worked through college, paid for college ($140,000 degree), had some help from my folks but I was paying $300 a week to pay for it. I now only have about $17,000 in debt, paying for my own place, and thank god have some form of a future.

20 dollars a month is a drop in the bucket in comparison to my other bills lol.

Moved this conversation to a new thread - it was too off-topic, but still interesting enough to continue talking about!

I stated earlier that it is around $250 for food about every 2 weeks. It varies on what i want and if i want to splurge. I could easily drop $320 on food but that will last a little longer or i could drop $140 and not have as much goodies. depends on how gluttonous i am feeling that month. Wish i could drop to a steady $150 a month but its just not easy with 4 adults

I'd say I spend around 150 Euros a month for food if I'm not on a tight budget. But that also includes Fair Trade products, and I would definitely spend less if I wasn't on a gluten- and dairy-free diet. Meat (though I only eat poultry) and all the dairy substitutes are rather expensive around here.

Vegetables (potatoes are super cheap!), rice, eggs, fruit, soup... if you look in the right places, you can eat cheap here in Europe (unless you prefer not to cook for yourself).

YEAh BUT THEN WHO BUYS THE BEER?!?

Huh. two weeks on 20 bucks for food... Nope. I couldn't pull that off unless all I ate was rice or ramen. Even then, it's a stretch.

I mean, last night alone I paid about 40 bucks for me and Caroline to go out to dinner, on a cheap night. Paying 20 bucks for a game a month would actually be cheaper for me than my current lifestyle, as I wouldn't go out to eat nearly as often (because I'd want to play instead).

I do the food shopping. For Bruce and I, the weekly food budget is $50. (I could get it down to $30/week, but Bruce wouldn't be happy - less meat.) We eat pretty well: produce, meat, grains, I bake most of our desserts/baked goods, a small pantry. Very thankful for the new jobs we both have, living on ramen/rice is not fun (college).

I have a question about the college days for you guys (more about tuition etc and why you had to be so tight on food).

I feel like my tuition was maybe on average $1800/semester and we also had co-op available. I was never in a situation where I was scarce for food in any way and could do what I want (from working and from savings my dad started when I was born).

What was your average tuition for a semester?

We are on a pretty strict budget now. It has actually worked wonders for us. My wife is the expert on it, but if I remember right, it's about $200 a month for food. That's not including eating out, which probly gets $50 a month in the budget. We also get a little bit of state assistance still, which helps with buying milk, eggs, veggies, and other essentials. We feed 2 adults and 3 kids. The youngest is still being breastfed, but recently had to start supplementing some formula. Which is super expensive.

I bet our bill climbs to closer to 400 a month with inflation and teenagers.

I love alone, well sorta I have a cat. I spend on average about 50-70 a week on food. Now that is when I grocery shop. If I am both eating out or ordering in I'd say more like 110 a week. I've gotten pretty good at budgeting myself and portioning meals too.

I'd say I spend around 150 Euros a month for food if I'm not on a tight budget. But that also includes Fair Trade products, and I would definitely spend less if I wasn't on a gluten- and dairy-free diet. Meat (though I only eat poultry) and all the dairy substitutes are rather expensive around here.

I was gonna say you must not eat meat. I live in cattle country so my diet consists of meat and potatoes. I run a steakhouse so I have plenty of access to extremely good beef at extremely good prices (FREE!). I am trying to eat better now outside of the occasional meal I eat at work. But between me and the wife I would say we spend $125/week and that just covers grocery bills. We don't eat out a lot because we are rarely at home at the same time (she is a flight attendant - which is also helpful when I have a day off and want to play vids the whole day and have noone nagging me).

You are pretty lucky to be able to spend that little to eat, clearly food is a lot more expensive in Canada.

Top Bottom