What's new

I got a mother F'ing gas range!

Cheese

For those of you who dont know I'm out in Japan and moved out here with only a couple suitcases.
Thus all household goods had to be purchased here, something I'm used to as I've been doing this for years now.

Only this time I could not for the life of me find a single burner gas range to hook up to the port in my apartment. Apparently years back they went with a standard two burner size and just about every apartment in the country has been renovated since then. Just about every one but mine.
It is still a kitchen conformed to the old single burner standard.

I've been cooking everything I eat in a rice cooker for almost a year now. I've made many discoveries on its use, but the limitations are there. So many limitations, so many foods I cant cook...

Well as of tonight I HAVE A REAL DAMN GAS BURNER!
62d5T4P.jpg

After searching everywhere I found a restaurant type gas range element that was built for heavy duty use and must have been tossed in someone's garage or closet for many years. Although its old, I think its never been used other than to test it, the primer is still fresh and there's not a spec of food on it.

Now I can finally cook real food.
First thing I did was make some really good MalaTofu with fried onions and beef... So good, I missed this taste so much.
Extra nice part is its a restaurant grade burner so it can handle much higher gas flow and heat than I can provide here.
Wonder how much it will be to ship back home?

I love my new pet~

Ooh that's a nice find. I never thought about how limited I would be without a gas range.

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only this time I could not for the life of me find a single burner gas range to hook up to the port in my apartment. Apparently years back they went with a standard two burner size and just about every apartment in the country has been renovated since then. Just about every one but mine.
It is still a kitchen conformed to the old single burner standard.

Grats on the find! I once had an Art History professor tell our class that we are only allowed a certain number of meals within our lifetime, so we should to do our best to make every the best we can. I forget what the context was, but it was stuck with me.

Anyway, I'm curious about the cultural implementation of the type/number of ranges that you mention above. When I lived in Northern CA, a 4-burner stove was common and gas stoves were a challenge to find in a new unit. In Southern CA, there seems to be a mix, though the 4 burner gas units still seem to be the most popular.

What could I expect if I was apartment hunting in Japan?

Interestingly true philosophy.
I'll have to kick up the cooking over this Christmas - New Year's break. Filled the apartment with good ingredients, but have been kinda sticking to the same basic formula.
Have to get a little crazy today.

It really depends on the city and the developer.
Most places that are a little older and closer to the center of town have gas ranges because its still the cheapest way to cook and heat (by a far margin).
However in the "smaller" municipalities they didn't have the money to put in the piping or were worried about ruptures from earthquakes so they use LP gas tanks.
That is considerably more expensive than city gas which I have here.

Even though its more expensive in the long run most people and newer or small apartments are going with electric and LP gas.
Still the overall cost of city gas is much better so some family apartments and many homes still use that.

Overall I think electric is the most popular now, but electricity is stupid expensive so I dont understand it.

I still cant say enough how much I love natural gas cooking. It's a lifechanger!~

That's very possible.
Most of my experience paying bills was in the U.S., Canada, Korea and China.
China was certainly higher per average income levels, but pretty usual per my household budget.

It probably is that Japan is just much more similar to European standards of cost.
The main issue was most likely how much I was tacked up for going over the "typical" usage bracket.
I had no idea just how inefficient that little machine was. (and I used it A LOT)

Top Bottom