What's new

I guess there is a free lunch (just not for me)

Keleynal

Jesus Freak
I didn't pack a lunch today. My wife and I will be going out to eat with my sisters and their husbands for Valentine's Day tonight, so I figured I could just starve all day and eat then.

That didn't work out. At 11 0'clock, I was really hungry, so I went to Chipotle for a super-awesome burrito (stick with me, I'm going somewhere with this). So I grab my awesome burrito and head back towards work when I get stopped by a homeless guy. Homeless guys are everywhere in Kansas City. I routinely brush off 2-3 any time I step outside and walk downtown during work hours. I never give homeless guys anything. Not that I don't have sympathy for them, but there are several charities, kitchens, shelters, ect in the city, so I really don't see the need to beg on the streets.

Anyway, the homeless guy asks me for help getting food. On an impulse, I handed over my lunch and said "Here you go. Enjoy." He seemed kind of startled, but he didn't stick around to see if I'd change my mind. Also on impulse, I doubled back around and followed him until he stopped at a bus stop and began unpacking the food. I turned a corner and walked away.

I have mixed feelings about what I did. On one hand, it was nice. On some level, it felt good to help someone that had no chance of ever returning the favor. On the other hand, I now had no lunch and I hadn't really solved any problem. The guy would probably be begging again in six hours when it was time for dinner. However, the problem of his continued existence is not really one that I am equipped to solve, but I did the small amount that I could.

My wife and I are by no means rich. We are on a VERY tight budget. In fact, she will kill me tonight when I tell her I used our money to buy lunch (she will double kill me when I tell her that afterwards I stopped and picked up a cheeseburger. I was still hungry!), but the fact of the matter is, I have it very good. I have a great job that keeps my family well afloat, reliable transportation, a good place to live, great family close by, and a pretty rockin' online community of friends. It's easy for me to focus on my family, my job, my career, and my stuff while completely ignoring everything else around me. I think I can do more.

I don't have the will or the means to buy lunch for random people all the time, but I will try to do a better job of engaging in problems rather than just watching from the sidelines. I think volunteering at aforementioned shelters and kitchens could be a good start. I'll have to think about it.

I normally don't carry cash anymore. When people ask for change when I am going into a place I will sometimes buy them lunch. One day it was really hot out here in Phoenix and I went out of my way to get a guy some groceries for lunch (pb&j fixins) and a gallon of water then took it back to him.

I figure that I feel better feeding them than giving them money. That way they can use the money they get on whatever they like.

Top Bottom