What's new

Wrap Up I need five people for an experimental forum game!

Jia

pic791146_md.jpg

I’m looking for five people to play a game of “The Resistance” via the forums (it’s similar to the Mafia or Werewolf games, but without player elimination).
Don’t worry if you’ve never heard of it before, I’ll explain everything you’ll need to know in this post (and once again step by step while we’re playing the game).

What’s "The Resistance" about?

In “The Resistance” each player is secretly assigned a role, either as part of the “Resistance” that aims to overthrow a corrupt government, or as part of the “Spies”, who've infiltrated the Resistance and try to sabotage their plans. The Spies know who they are, but the members of the Resistance have no idea whom they can trust.

A preselected number of players is sent on a mission, and each person taking part secretly votes for the mission to succeed or fail. If a total of three missions fail, the Spies win. If three missions are a success, the Resistance wins. This means that the game is over after three to five missions.

The game can be played with 5 to 10 people. I’d like to limit it to five people for now, just to see how well this game works as a forum game.

How does it work?

As the Game Master, I will privately assign the roles of Resistance members and Spies to the players via PM.
I will then assign the first mission leader (usually the first person who signs up for the game).

• The mission leader picks a team of x people to go on his mission (whether he includes himself or not is up to him).
  • After he’s decided on who will be taking part in the mission, all players (including the mission leader) vote on whether they agree with his team setup or not.
  • After everyone has sent me their vote via PM, I will reveal the results (including the information on who voted what).
The majority wins: if, say, 4 people vote “no” and 2 vote “yes”, the team setup is denied. If it’s a tie, the team is rejected. If the team setup is denied, the mission leadership is transferred to the next player, who then picks a (new) team. If a team setup is denied five times in a row, the spies automatically win.
  • If the team setup is approved, the mission takes place: Everyone on the team secretly votes on whether the mission is a success or a failure. Members of the Resistance have to vote “success” - they have no other choice. Members of the Spies can choose whether to pick “success” or “failure”.
  • The mission outcome is revealed (but each team member’s individual vote is kept a secret): If all team members voted “success”, the mission is a success. If one or more of the team members voted “failure”, the mission fails.
  • The mission leadership is transferred to the next player.
This is important: All votes are sent to the GM (me) via PM. A vote will neverbe cast out on the open on a forum thread! Once I have every player’s input, I will post the results on the game thread.

Winning conditions

If three missions succeed, the Resistance wins – if three missions fail, the Spies win.

Details for a game of five players
  • Three players will be part of the Resistance, two players will be Spies.
  • Number of team members for each mission:
Mission #1: 2 people​
Mission #2: 3 people​
Mission #3: 2 people​
Mission #4: 3 people​
Mission #5: 3 people​

Confused?

Don’t worry, it’s a lot to take in if you have no idea how this game works. I’ll guide you through the game step by step, so even if you didn’t understand the instructions above, you’ll get the hang of it.

Do keep in mind that this is an experiment! I’m not sure how well this game translates to a forum game, so we may bump into unforeseen problems (or maybe even a game-stopper) if something goes wrong.

So, who’s up for a game? I need five volunteers, :)

TL: DR: I'm looking for five volunteers for a Mafia-like forum game. I'll explain how to play it step by step as we play the game. It's much easier than it looks.

It's in a beta-phase, so to speak, so things can go wrong.

Here's a video that explains the game and shows a few scenes of gameplay:

Players:

#1: Keleynal
#2: Kismet
#3: Diremongoose
#4: ThatOneGuy
#5: Tristan

I'd be willing to give it a go.

The only possible downside I see is that there isn't much interaction. In Mafia, and other party games, there's a lot of accusations, name-calling, finger pointing, and bald-faced lying that really make the game enjoyable, but I do think there is potential here.

The only possible downside I see is that there isn't much interaction. In Mafia, and other party games, there's a lot of accusations, name-calling, finger pointing, and bald-faced lying that really make the game enjoyable, but I do think there is potential here.
There should be plenty of interaction, in theory. As soon as a mission fails, you'll know that a Spy was on the team. That's where you start mistrusting people. Spies will want to be on the team to sabotage the mission and blame the failure on somebody else. It can get pretty wild, at least in face-to-face games!

Can players PM each other or does all interaction have to be in the open?
Anyone can PM another player, but nobody will know for sure who's part of the Resistance, and who's a Spy (except for the Spies of course - they will certainly be strategizing via PMs the entire time).
As the GM I'd like to be included in all game-related PM conversations though - simply to observe and prevent potential problems.

I think it would be more fun if the spies didn't know who the other spies were. That would put all the players on the same footing and make it more challenging for the spies. It would be impossible to deceive the spies if they knew for sure who each other were.

I think we should try it your way first. We could always switch it up if it proved too easy for the spies.

I think it would be more fun if the spies didn't know who the other spies were. That would put all the players on the same footing and make it more challenging for the spies.
If the Spies didn't know who the other Spies were, there's a chance that it would break the game by ending it prematurely.

Let me explain:
The votes that dictate a mission's outcome will be posted in public. For example:
Three people go on a mission. One (a Spy) PMs me that he wants the mission to fail, the other two PM me that they want it to succeed.
With this information I post the mission result in public, but without letting the players know who voted for what.
I would post: "Success, success, failure" and everyone will know that two people in the team wanted the mission to succeed, but (at least) one of the three was a Spy and managed to sabotage it.

In a five-player scenario there will be two Spies. The problem with that is that we have two missions (mission #1 and mission #3) with two-man teams. If both Spies end up in a two-man team (without knowing that the other is a Spy as well), there's a chance that they'd both vote for the mission to fail. The result would be "failure, failure" and the Resistance would immediately win by dumb luck, because they now know who to exclude from future missions.

Ahh. I didn't know that we would get that level of detail in the results. That being the case and with only 5 people going 5 rounds, I can't see a scenario where the resistance wouldn't win, as long as they applied basic logic to the results.

Edit: double posted, I"m getting a weird error.
Yea, I had the same error.

Actually, in my experience it's pretty hard for the Resistance to win in face-to-face games, but I do expect it to be easier via forums because votes will be documented. In a face-to-face game, you can easily forget who voted what, especially when it comes to remembering who approved and who denied a team leader's team pick.

But we'll see! I don't think it'll be as easy as you think, I still give the Spies the upper hand, ;)

It sounds great! I'm really not trying to be difficult. I really like games like this, so my mind is spinning with possibilities. I need to just back off and let it ride. *ponysmile:

It sounds great! I'm really not trying to be difficult. I really like games like this, so my mind is spinning with possibilities. I need to just back off and let it ride. *ponysmile:
Don't worry about it!
It's hard to explain the game in all details without turning it into a huge block of text - I just hope more people sign up so we can give it a spin (before we end up dissecting it completely, haha). It'll all make more sense when it's in action! ^^

I wanna give people a chance to join I always feel bad when I take a spot from others in fun games. Plus this one is a bit over my head haha. But I do wanna do one eventually to learn.

Sign me up Jia! I've played this game offline and it can be such fun :). I'm really curious about how it will work in a forum format, as offline I know body language, facial expressions, trash talk etc. are part of the excitement and 'giveaways' as to who the spies/resistance are.

Sign me up Jia! I've played this game offline and it can be such fun :). I'm really curious about how it will work in a forum format, as offline I know body language, facial expressions, trash talk etc. are part of the excitement and 'giveaways' as to who the spies/resistance are.
Indeed! I'm curious to see how it works out as a forum game as well. I figure the advantage that the Spies have by not giving away their identity with their body language should be evened out by the "documentation" of the votes.
If it's too easy for the Spies, I'll try adding the "plot cards" from the "The Plot Thickens" expansion - that might balance it out.

I like the aspect that we will be documenting the missions here and voting privately, because in the past when I've played this with 10 people it was madness, and my old brain had trouble remembering who picked who for which missions.

So, question... Let's say I was mission Leader and I post here in this thread I want:

Myself
Kel
Triage

For a mission.

We send you the votes via PM... and let's say we all vote YES privately, you let us know mission is going down.

We then send you our "pass" or "fail" privately and you post results as:

"Yes, No, Yes"

So, we know you will mix up the results so they don't necessarily follow the order of the team I picked, right? THEN... would we possibly trash talk in this thread... maybe I would say:

"Who the hell failed that?! It must be Tristan, he totally is a spy!"

(Even though I don't know for sure, and I might be the spy bluffing... right?)

Let me know if that is how you envision it happening and if we are allowed to goad each other throughout the game. :)

I like the aspect that we will be documenting the missions here and voting privately, because in the past when I've played this with 10 people it was madness, and my old brain had trouble remembering who picked who for which missions.

So, question... Let's say I was mission Leader and I post here in this thread I want:

Myself
Kel
Triage

For a mission.

We send you the votes via PM... and let's say we all vote YES privately, you let us know mission is going down.

We then send you our "pass" or "fail" privately and you post results as:

"Yes, No, Yes"

So, we know you will mix up the results so they don't necessarily follow the order of the team I picked, right? THEN... would we possibly trash talk in this thread... maybe I would say:

"Who the hell failed that?! It must be Tristan, he totally is a spy!"

(Even though I don't know for sure, and I might be the spy bluffing... right?)

Let me know if that is how you envision it happening and if we are allowed to goad each other throughout the game. :)

Just a general clarification for anyone not familiar with the game: The yay or nay votes on the team constellations will be made public after I've received everyone's vote. It's an important part of the game to know who approves and who disapproves certain constellations of players for a mission. The face-to-face game makes everyone reveal their vote at the same time, preventing people from taking another player's vote into consideration before they make their own decision. By having people's votes sent to me in private, I'll be able to keep that game mechanic intact.

So after receiving the private votes I'll post a message like this:

Future Jia said:
Kismet: Yes
Kel: No
Triage: Yes
Waldemar: Yes
Razulian: No

Kismet's team has been approved!
So now I want Kismet, Kel and Tristan to send me a PM with their desired mission outcomes.

The only votes that will remain anonymous after the reveal are the success/failure votes for the actual missions - and yea, I'll mix them up!
I'll leave everyone enough time in between missions to start throwing accusations, bluffing, deducing, etc. I'd like there to be as much goading as possible, I highly approve of the goad!

So yea, I think we both have the same idea how this game could play out on the forums, Kismet, ^^

By the way, Kel: I posted a Youtube video in the second post of this thread; I found some gameplay footage that should make the game much easier to understand than my lengthy and complicated explanation in the original post, ^^

Top Bottom