What's new

IE8 Forums Compatibility Issue

Corvos

I was speaking with Kismet in chat and she experienced an issue using IE8 on her work computer.

Basically when I click on FORUMS navigation at top, the screen gets all screwy and a pop up appears saying "Stop Running Script?" yes or no. I am using IE 8 and only noticed this happening today. I can't seem to go to that section that way, but if there is a post on the main NEWS page, I can click that link.

She's tried running in compatibility mode but the problem persists. Unfortunately I didn't get anymore details from her in regards to her system specs/OS but wanted to get the ball rolling for her as she was unable to post it herself.

I was speaking with Kismet in chat and she experienced an issue using IE8 on her work computer.

She's tried running in compatibility mode but the problem persists. Unfortunately I didn't get anymore details from her in regards to her system specs/OS but wanted to get the ball rolling for her as she was unable to post it herself.

I hate to say this but we are working on making a popup that will include the following:

We noticed you're using Internet Explorer.

That's...unfortunate.

Alttab's new layout and associated features have not been tested or debugged in IE8.
If you'd like to visit the site, why not install one of these free, cross-platform browsers?

We will continue to work on IE compatibility but right now we just don't have the bandwidth to essentially design a separate site for it.

The same still holds true here. IE is the least used browser and mosy incompatable of all of them at the moment and designing a site with it as a benchmark is almost like halting design.

So while we will try to address issues, we will not be prioritizing them. I do apologize.

Internet Explorer is the bane of any web designer's existence.

Is it possible for her to upgrade to IE9? That's the version when Microsoft realized that standards were a thing.

Thank you Corvos for posting this! :) Unfortunately in the corporate world, many places remain true to IE. I don't think I can convince my organization to change that but I can certainly try to switch at home.

Oh and as a freelance designer myself, I totally get the challenge of coding for multiple platforms. So as a recreational site (AltTabMe) you can certainly choose to optimize for whichever browser you prefer, but coding for business still requires QA testing with IE 8.0+. Sadly we still have to consider even 800x600 resolutions since a lot of people still haven't upgraded to widescreen formats. *le gasp*

Thank you Corvos for posting this! :) Unfortunately in the corporate world, many places remain true to IE. I don't think I can convince my organization to change that but I can certainly try to switch at home.

Oh and as a freelance designer myself, I totally get the challenge of coding for multiple platforms. So as a recreational site (AltTabMe) you can certainly choose to optimize for whichever browser you prefer, but coding for business still requires QA testing with IE 8.0+. Sadly we still have to consider even 800x600 resolutions since a lot of people still haven't upgraded to widescreen formats. *le gasp*

At least try to upgrade to IE9 as Red suggested.http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-9/worldwide-languages

Also I agree most businesses in the US use IE still. But thank GOD this is a recreational site haha. We don't ignore IE, trust me... but we also don't go nuts when we hear "IE is broken" :) Keep reporting the issues though. It will get fixed in time.

Kismet,

I got my department together and we've petitioned our manager to get IT it upgrade our systems to IE9. We are now on the agenda to get it "sometime this year". O well.

The site works flawlessly on IE9 and 10 (aka the ones Microsoft made when they started caring about IE). Outside of those two Firefox/Chrome/Safari/Opera/Netscape/Epiphany are all good alternatives. You could try installing one on a flashdrive for work.

I was able to convince them that I needed Firefox in order to test out some of website stuff, so I use that now

Top Bottom