What's new

If you are not using coupons, you are pissing money away!

REDACTED

I am going to get a little preachy for a moment guys. IF YOU ARE NOT USING COUPONS, YOU ARE PISSING MONEY AWAY!
It is really not hard to do, or that time consuming. Don't think of shows like extreme couponing, those people are ridiculous hoarders and shelf clearers. More power to them, but the average joe/jane doesn't have time or inclination for all of that.

Now that you can print most Sunday paper coupons online (see links below), you don't even have to spring for the Sunday paper if you don't want to.

I spend maybe an hour a week, looking (online) at my local grocery's weekly ad, CVS/Walgreens, etc.
The biggest key to savings is timing your coupons with a store sale. Most items in a store go on sale within a 12 week period. So chances are whatever you like eating or buying will be on sale soon.

Stacking is another key to big savings. That is when the store offers a discount, maybe their own coupon or a buy one, get one free deal AND they also allow for a manufacturer's coupon.

For example, my grocery store (PUBLIX) has lots of buy one, get one free items every week. That means, for example...

Quaker Oatmeal is BOGO this week ($2.82 each, normally)... SO, I have that deal, which without even using a coupon I'm only paying $1.41 each (50% off).​
BUT...​
I have (2) $1 off coupons for that product AND a third coupon for $1.00 off produce when I buy two Quaker products.​
So basically I paid .82 cents for two Quaker Oatmeal making them .41 each... AND my bananas were .69 cents a lb., I had 2.51 lbs. ($1.73) but after my $1.00 off, they were only .73 cents.​
Sometimes you will even get what they call a FREE FREE, where you buy something BOGO, and stack coupons on the items, and it comes out to a zero balance. I love those!

And places like Wal-Mart (if you shop there) will even let your overages apply to the rest of the items in your cart.

Anyway, here are my savings from today... and mind you, these shopping trips were for things I wanted and needed, not just saving for savings sake. THOUGH THAT'S NOT BAD EITHER... if you can get items for free, that you don't want, you can donate them to charity or needy families/organizations which really makes you feel good!!!

PUBLIX grocery:

Total Bill Was: $81.14
After my coupons, BOGOs, I paid: $40.84

CVS pharmacy:
Total Bill Was: $60.08
After my coupons, BOGOs, I paid: $19.08
Instead of $141.22 out of my wallet, I only spent $59.92. That means $81.30 stays put for other goodies & entertainment.

If anyone is interested in learning more about couponing, I am more than happy to share what knowledge I have. Save that cash money honey! $$$

Good Sites to get visit:
www.hip2save.com
www.coupons.com
www.redplum.com
www.smartsource.com
www.sundaycouponpreview.com
www.recyclebank.com
www.swagbucks.com[DOUBLEPOST=1366426435,1366426177][/DOUBLEPOST]

LOL... you whippersnappers! *shaking my cane*
YES... there are apps, digital coupons, etc. DO IT... save money NAO!

Unless it is a sale directly related to the club card I have scanned into my phone or enter my phone number when they say "do you have you advantage card" I am afraid the coupons get lost on me. Unless of course it is Bed Bath and Beyond.

It should get lost on me too because I suck at math, but somehow I manage to do it... that makes me a happy kizzy! *ponysmile:

It should get lost on me too because I suck at math, but somehow I manage to do it... that makes me a happy kizzy! *ponysmile:

Oh it isn't due to math it is due to not caring :) <3 to the third person.

I moved these posts to a new thread, let me know if it should be here (in the "Rants" section) or somewhere else!

Man, if I could hire someone to do this for me and work off a % of what I save by commission, that'd be awesome. Otherwise I'm not sure if my shopping habits are structured enough to prepare ahead of time (or prepare period).

(I need Katie clones!)

Do you like money? Time=Money in this case. A lot of people see it as tedious work for little pay off... I did at one time. But trust me, now whenever I see a coupon, it is like finding a $20 bill on the ground. I treat them like money, because they are paper tender.

When I started couponing I never thought I would be good at it, but -- especially for gamer mentalities -- if you treat it like a game, it can be really fun. You will start hunting for 'loot' (deals) everywhere.

And Baldo, believe it or not, a lot of guys help their wives with the prep work. It can actually be fun time together and you'll feel good because you're helping the family save money. OR, I think you said your mother-in-law is living with you? Get her and the kids to help your wife with it and that will give you more free time to hang with us! LOL

that will give you more free time to hang with us! LOL
Geez, i'm here 5 days a week from 8-5 eastern time Monday thru Friday. I try on the weekends but i am soooooo busy.

Lol i help every once in a while. I'm gonna start trying to cook...(This will be interesting) I already cook the breakfast for everyone but thats easy. i want to move on to dinner and such. so i will probably go out with her so we can spend time together and i can grab all the yummy things i want to make.

Sometimes when we go into food lion we get the dispensable coupon at the front door. the cashier doesn't even look and just scans everything and sometimes we save like $10.

But i like the coupon idea, i just bought a groupon with some guys at work since we are having our Work golf tournament next month and there was a deal for the course.

I use to subscribe to the paper because I felt the $1 a week it was costing me for the paper paid itself back multiple times in coupon savings. Problem was the papers would end up piling up. It felt like such a waste in paper. I would recycle but I still find unread newspapers all over the place.

Then I would need to find the time to sit and cut out the coupons. Fuck that. 80% of the coupons didn't apply to any items I would ever buy. 10% would end up expiring before I remember to use them and 5% would end up being products I really didn't need but only bought (read: wasted my money on) because I had a coupon. I'd say out of all the coupons I ended up collecting I'd use about 5% of them.

Yes you are right, coupons save money. I don't think the current distribution method of a newspaper is the best way to obtain them. I love online coupons though. I'll always do a quick google search for a company if I am ordering something offline. Well worth the 30sec.

I really wish I had the time to pursue this sort of thing b'c it sounds like something I'd get into. But alas, my time is constantly ferried away by other interests. Will have to keep this one on the books tho and revisit it as other interests die off.

Top Bottom