What's new

I'm getting restless again.

TIG

I like GOOOOOLLLLD!
So I have this thing where every once in a while I need a new hobby. I say its about every 6 to 12 months, but my friend says its every three days. When I get on a kick and find something interesting I research the shit out of it and then if its easy enough to get into (meaning I can throw money at it and get a good way into it) I will start it up and go for it. Usually that means after about 2 thousand dollars and a new basket of specialized tools. Then I make or do the thing for about 3 months and get bored with it then drop it.

Here are some examples of what I have done: (every example comes with tons of bookmarked websites and possibly hard copy books and/or videos)

Airbrush painting. I have a compressor, and 2 1/2 paint guns. Tons of paints in various states of drying out.
Sculpting. Mostly with clays and such. I love the idea of making miniatures from scratch and/or action figures. sometimes when I read a comic I want to make a statue of the scene in the book. You may remember the pendants I made for ARX fooxwoods meetup.
Papercraft. You all should have seen the ALTTABME papercraft I made from scratch HERE. I have also done some models ripped from WoW, and various generic papercraft models you can find around the internet.
Origami. This predates the papercraft, but I was big into dollar bill origami when I was in my early 20s and would always give tips to waitresses/bartenders folded into things like animals, or rings, or playboy bunny emblems. I also did traditional origami where you make animals and roses and stuff. In fact I made my girlfriend a dozen blue roses for Christmas about 3 years ago stems and all in a glass vase that made her cry. We still have it sitting in the bedroom.
World of Warcraft. I know its not the same, but it was a hobby that I stuck with for 7ish years that kept me going and entertained. It actually kept me from having to switch out to other things as often and I kept being challenged. I have only ever finished 1 game in my life and it was a game-boy game, but WoW kept me going for-ev-er.
Electronics. I picked up an arduino (small scale circuit board and chips to program into about anything you want) and wires and circuit boards and l.e.d.'s and all kinds of tools so I could make stuff that lit up and stuff that moved and crap like that. I also have one of those radio shack playsets that teach you about transistors and motors and stuff you can wire up and power up.
Websites and S.E.O. Everythreedays.com and Server5th.blogspot.com were my forays into online blogging and website optimization. I studdied for a bit but lost interest after I found out it was more work than fun. Notice the name of the first site is based on this very subject of this rant.
Re-learning French. I took 2 years of french in high school and then 20 years later decided to try to brush up on it with rosetta stone. That stupid thing pissed me off and I gave up on it.
Leatherworking. I have a whole set of tools which I also used on the ARX foxwoods pendants. I also have a few bookmarks (for real books not websites) and wallets I made that are crap.
Warhammer Miniatures. I have painted, played, modified, and sculpted various bits and pieces in the warhammer fantasy game.

Some things I would like to get into:

Blacksmithing. Actual forging and hammering of metal to make armor and weapons.
Phone app / video game making. I kinda think I would like to do the creative designing behind it more than the actual down in the trenches code work. I put down some ideas for an mmo HERE.
Flying a plane. I would love to learn to pilot a plane.
Making cosplay type costumes. Like an ironman or voltron suit. Or steampunk. Or leather replica of my character's order of whispers leather outfit.
Building things with resins and plastics. gadgets and housings for electronics and generaly learning how to work next generation building materials for everyday stuff. I would SOOO love a 3d printer.
Write a book. I have starting ideas for about 3 different fantasy type world settings that I can write a whole series in if I ever sat down and/or was motivated enough to follow through with writing a book. I have read tons of books and know I could write better than some of the crappier ones I have read and they got published.
Write a movie and/or TV review blog. I watch a ton of tv and movies right now and am very opinionated about them. I could so be one of those guys on the internet.

Now this also bleeds over to my professional life. From age 18 to 28 I worked at 16 different places. I intentionally moved on from all but one (got fired) because I would learn to do the job and get bored then go looking for a completely different field of work.
I have waited tables, bar-tended, built computers, hung drywall, done roadside assistance (flat tires, battery jumps, car locksmithing), worked at a reptile pet store doing both sales and working in the breeding facility on both the reptile side and the feeder rodent side, tech help call center for ups, and security guard. Probably some more I forgot.

That was just the first 10 years of my working life. after that I decided I would find a job that I would stick with until it cost me money to work there; Meaning I would still do things I wanted to on the side and if I could monetize them to the point where spending time at work took away from making more money at them I would quit my day job. I found a great job as an airline mechanic. Even doing that I have something different to work on every day and its not the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and blow my brains out over again.

So now I'm getting restless again. More and more I am feeling like I want to just drop everything that I am doing and go pick up something else. I have this craving for learning new stuff. I always have and the joy of that is part of what drives me. I have this urge to lock up my computer in a drawer for a month and see what I end up occupying my time with. Having this entertainment box available to me 24/7 really gives me an easy outlet to procrastinate and be lazy. I think I get a lot of this from my grandfathers. Both of them were tinkerers. My father's father had a shed that was wall to wall tools and boxes of parts. If anything broke he could fix it or make a part to fix it.

I have some adult responsibilities coming up soon so I may not have the chance to really throw myself into anything for about a 2 year period. I am getting my credit back in shape and hope to be able to look at buying a house in the summer. I am going to A&P school which is a 18 month program so I can be more secure in my job in case the shit hits the fan with this AA / US Air merger. The A&P will mean about 1500 people below me in seniority instead of about 300 in case there is layoffs.
I think the prospect of a 2 year block of free time being planned out is kinda freaking me out and making me want to procrastinate or do something different. Kinda like the kid in me screaming "I don't want to eat my vegetables, I want ICE CREAM!". I know its not the rational thing and I am adult enough (barely) to make the right decision.

What I would love more than anything in the world is to be rich enough so I don't have to work a regular job and could pick up hobbies all the time. Its not that I don't like to work, its that I want to fill my time with learning and doing new things all the time. I only have a job because the alternative is worse. I wish there was a job where I could come up with cool ideas for stuff and then have a team of people who turn it into a product or service. Then I would get a portion of the profits off all my ideas turned businesses.

So ya, I'm getting restless again.

Been skydiving, almost spent money to keep going and get my solo license but thought better of it. 5k is a lot to spend for something I will probably drop. Although I live about 1:30 from one of the best skydive places in America: Skydive Arizona. They have about 300 days a year of jump-able weather.

Been rock climbing, bought gear and shoes and had fun with it.

Haven't been wake-boarding, but I have been slalom and regular water skiing. Not gonna buy a boat so I can do it more.

Also been snow skiing, would like to learn to snowboard.

So I have this thing where every once in a while I need a new hobby. I say its about every 6 to 12 months, but my friend says its every three days. When I get on a kick and find something interesting I research the shit out of it and then if its easy enough to get into (meaning I can throw money at it and get a good way into it) I will start it up and go for it. Usually that means after about 2 thousand dollars and a new basket of specialized tools. Then I make or do the thing for about 3 months and get bored with it then drop it.

Here are some examples of what I have done: (every example comes with tons of bookmarked websites and possibly hard copy books and/or videos)

Airbrush painting. I have a compressor, and 2 1/2 paint guns. Tons of paints in various states of drying out.
Sculpting. Mostly with clays and such. I love the idea of making miniatures from scratch and/or action figures. sometimes when I read a comic I want to make a statue of the scene in the book. You may remember the pendants I made for ARX fooxwoods meetup.
Papercraft. You all should have seen the ALTTABME papercraft I made from scratch HERE. I have also done some models ripped from WoW, and various generic papercraft models you can find around the internet.
Origami. This predates the papercraft, but I was big into dollar bill origami when I was in my early 20s and would always give tips to waitresses/bartenders folded into things like animals, or rings, or playboy bunny emblems. I also did traditional origami where you make animals and roses and stuff. In fact I made my girlfriend a dozen blue roses for Christmas about 3 years ago stems and all in a glass vase that made her cry. We still have it sitting in the bedroom.
World of Warcraft. I know its not the same, but it was a hobby that I stuck with for 7ish years that kept me going and entertained. It actually kept me from having to switch out to other things as often and I kept being challenged. I have only ever finished 1 game in my life and it was a game-boy game, but WoW kept me going for-ev-er.
Electronics. I picked up an arduino (small scale circuit board and chips to program into about anything you want) and wires and circuit boards and l.e.d.'s and all kinds of tools so I could make stuff that lit up and stuff that moved and crap like that. I also have one of those radio shack playsets that teach you about transistors and motors and stuff you can wire up and power up.
Websites and S.E.O. Everythreedays.com and Server5th.blogspot.com were my forays into online blogging and website optimization. I studdied for a bit but lost interest after I found out it was more work than fun. Notice the name of the first site is based on this very subject of this rant.
Re-learning French. I took 2 years of french in high school and then 20 years later decided to try to brush up on it with rosetta stone. That stupid thing pissed me off and I gave up on it.
Leatherworking. I have a whole set of tools which I also used on the ARX foxwoods pendants. I also have a few bookmarks (for real books not websites) and wallets I made that are crap.
Warhammer Miniatures. I have painted, played, modified, and sculpted various bits and pieces in the warhammer fantasy game.

Some things I would like to get into:

Blacksmithing. Actual forging and hammering of metal to make armor and weapons.
Phone app / video game making. I kinda think I would like to do the creative designing behind it more than the actual down in the trenches code work. I put down some ideas for an mmo HERE.
Flying a plane. I would love to learn to pilot a plane.
Making cosplay type costumes. Like an ironman or voltron suit. Or steampunk. Or leather replica of my character's order of whispers leather outfit.
Building things with resins and plastics. gadgets and housings for electronics and generaly learning how to work next generation building materials for everyday stuff. I would SOOO love a 3d printer.
Write a book. I have starting ideas for about 3 different fantasy type world settings that I can write a whole series in if I ever sat down and/or was motivated enough to follow through with writing a book. I have read tons of books and know I could write better than some of the crappier ones I have read and they got published.
Write a movie and/or TV review blog. I watch a ton of tv and movies right now and am very opinionated about them. I could so be one of those guys on the internet.

Now this also bleeds over to my professional life. From age 18 to 28 I worked at 16 different places. I intentionally moved on from all but one (got fired) because I would learn to do the job and get bored then go looking for a completely different field of work.
I have waited tables, bar-tended, built computers, hung drywall, done roadside assistance (flat tires, battery jumps, car locksmithing), worked at a reptile pet store doing both sales and working in the breeding facility on both the reptile side and the feeder rodent side, tech help call center for ups, and security guard. Probably some more I forgot.

That was just the first 10 years of my working life. after that I decided I would find a job that I would stick with until it cost me money to work there; Meaning I would still do things I wanted to on the side and if I could monetize them to the point where spending time at work took away from making more money at them I would quit my day job. I found a great job as an airline mechanic. Even doing that I have something different to work on every day and its not the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and blow my brains out over again.

So now I'm getting restless again. More and more I am feeling like I want to just drop everything that I am doing and go pick up something else. I have this craving for learning new stuff. I always have and the joy of that is part of what drives me. I have this urge to lock up my computer in a drawer for a month and see what I end up occupying my time with. Having this entertainment box available to me 24/7 really gives me an easy outlet to procrastinate and be lazy. I think I get a lot of this from my grandfathers. Both of them were tinkerers. My father's father had a shed that was wall to wall tools and boxes of parts. If anything broke he could fix it or make a part to fix it.

I have some adult responsibilities coming up soon so I may not have the chance to really throw myself into anything for about a 2 year period. I am getting my credit back in shape and hope to be able to look at buying a house in the summer. I am going to A&P school which is a 18 month program so I can be more secure in my job in case the shit hits the fan with this AA / US Air merger. The A&P will mean about 1500 people below me in seniority instead of about 300 in case there is layoffs.
I think the prospect of a 2 year block of free time being planned out is kinda freaking me out and making me want to procrastinate or do something different. Kinda like the kid in me screaming "I don't want to eat my vegetables, I want ICE CREAM!". I know its not the rational thing and I am adult enough (barely) to make the right decision.

What I would love more than anything in the world is to be rich enough so I don't have to work a regular job and could pick up hobbies all the time. Its not that I don't like to work, its that I want to fill my time with learning and doing new things all the time. I only have a job because the alternative is worse. I wish there was a job where I could come up with cool ideas for stuff and then have a team of people who turn it into a product or service. Then I would get a portion of the profits off all my ideas turned businesses.

So ya, I'm getting restless again.

Man T1G its a shame I dont live closer as I tend to be the same way but I dont begin anything in most cases. Ill sit down one day and go damn I wanna take up this, read up on it all day and then never get involved in it. It would be nice to have someone to take up hobbies with, especially on the same schedule as I am. Work tends to turn me off to doing anything as well, since I get forced to work extra shifts alot and like to just vege out on my days off.

As for cosplay I have always said that I will only get into it if I start with Star Wars. I even went so far a few years back to start talkign with the local detachment of the 501st Legion and grab extras for an Imperial Officer costume. Anyway if you ever want to bounce ideas for things off me, you can PM/text/email whatever.

Been skydiving, almost spent money to keep going and get my solo license but thought better of it. 5k is a lot to spend for something I will probably drop. Although I live about 1:30 from one of the best skydive places in America: Skydive Arizona. They have about 300 days a year of jump-able weather.

Been rock climbing, bought gear and shoes and had fun with it.

Haven't been wake-boarding, but I have been slalom and regular water skiing. Not gonna buy a boat so I can do it more.

Also been snow skiing, would like to learn to snowboard.
Understandable. Most of the really fun things are expensive.

I was gonna go pro with wakeboarding but had a lot of things just happen at the wrong time that kinda put the under. I always went to Lake Gaston and was training with Adam Fields. You also don't need a boat, there are cable parks. I don't know any out your way but there is a really nice one in Florida.

Hmm.Try and make an phone app. That would be pretty interesting. I wanted to make tetris but i am still way to noobish to make a game. make a game and charge $0.99.

Snorkling, Urban exploration, learn to play an instrument, learn how to cook, "Thrift Shopping"
Yoga?

I googled and this was an option, 40. Sex: Fairly important for the survival of the human race, free and enjoyable! What’s not to like?

I started to learn guitar a few times.

I know how to cook, love it, and do it all the time.

I love thrift shops, but keep wanting to buy all kinds of junk I don't need.

Looking back on this I am kind of an interesting person. I've done more crap in my life than I realized.

Look into pen & paper role playing. As an added bonus, it'll give you an abundance of ideas for your MMO.
Considering some of the things you've already done and would like to do, you could put a lot of that to good use in LARPing as well.

Look into pen & paper role playing. As an added bonus, it'll give you an abundance of ideas for your MMO.
Considering some of the things you've already done and would like to do, you could put a lot of that to good use in LARPing as well.

That is not a bad idea in general Jia. Actually we should do some pen and paper stuff over Mumble. Corvus Rex used to do some stuff like that with another group of our friends. I didnt participate but I used to listen in while gaming. It sounded fun.

T1G I feel like you are living my life! :) Aside from the number of jobs we've both had, I am the exact same way when it comes to hobbies and learning. In fact, I am the Queen of Unfinished Business!

My hobbies have ranged from:

Billiards: I wanted to go pro at one point and was spending 8 hours a day on weekends practicing. I invested money in gear, cues, tables and table time, entering tournaments. But eventually gave it up. Now I only play recreationally, but still love the game.

Crochet/Knitting: I have made a fair share of finished projects, but still have tons of scraps and half completed blankets, sweaters, baby stuff... you name it.

Jewelry Making: So many beads!!!!

Sewing: So many fabrics & notions!!!

Acrylic/Oil Painting: So many dried out paints and brushes!!!

Sculpey: I went a bit crazy with this for a while and made lots of miniatures and ornaments. Fun stuff to work with!

Writing/Calligraphy: So many unfinished best-sellers!!!

Website/Graphic Design: I did a lot of freelance work while I was up in NY, but got tired of being paid (if that makes sense). It turned it from something FUN, into WORK... and I have a need for the CREATIVE/FUN part without the pressure of deadlines, demands, and designing something ugly (aka -- making the customer happy).

French: I studied in high school for four years. Then I left it until I married a french-speaking man, and then I had full immersion whenever I visited his family in Quebec. However he refused to speak with me at home because he did not have the patience to teach or correct. I have tried things like Rosetta Stone and they piss me off too. Who needs to know how to say, "Je suis la reine d'Angloterre!" in everyday conversation. Really?!? So if you ever want to practice some conversational french, I will be more than happy to do that with you. It is still a goal of mine to become fluent. I also would love to learn: Spanish, Italian, German, Japanese, Manadarin, Swahili, Arabic, Hebrew, and pretty much any other language on the planet.

As an aside, when I was a kid, I used to love making up 'secret code languages'. I would spend hours writing in journals in my code... and then years later go back and think, what the hell did I write about?

Papercraft/Scrapbooking: I also love cardmaking, origami, etc. I hate wasting anything and would even save the holes that I punched out of paper in case I could combine them in to another design or embellishment.

I could go on an on... but as you can see, I am a kindred spirit. I get restless too, and frustrated that there aren't enough hours in the day for me to indulge in all of the things I would love to do. I used to have a dream of having enough money to buy a lot of land, somewhere with mountains and lakes, and build cozy log cabins and zen gardens and rose mazes with greco-roman style wading pools for reflection... a retreat where people could go and just relax and participate in hobbies... the arts.

Some things I would still love to try:

• Sailing
  • Horseback Riding
  • Ballroom Dancing
  • Pottery
  • Weaving/Spinning (Fiber)
I think it is wonderful to keep learning. It is something that can never be taken away from you... aside from Alzheimers or Amnesia.
I just wish I had the time and ability to follow-through to the end of what I set out to learn, do, experience. Sometimes I finish, but more often than not I lose interest after immersing myself in whatever for however long.
And finally, I think the pen & paper RP sounds fun. I have never done it, but if it is something we can do on mumble, that would be an interesting thing to try. I assume it is like the forum RP that is going on?

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone (except gyoin-bruceno- ). There are some cool things here.

Can I just say how fun it is to reply to gyoin with himself? Its Amazing.

So pen and paper RPG? That's like old school dungeon and dragons right? I haven't played that for almost 30 years. It would be an awesome mumble guild event thingy. We would need a GM though. Everything else I could organize. If I got a game or two under my belt I have an awesome idea for running a game myself. I think I'll go make a thread to see if there is interest.

You could always learn Tae Kwon Do. This will be one of my next projects as soon as we settle down.

You could always learn Tae Kwon Do. This will be one of my next projects as soon as we settle down.

I want to learn Tai Kwon D'OH!
HomerSimpsonDoh.gif

Top Bottom