What's new

I'm glad he said something out loud. #Minecraft

tr1age

Administrator
Staff member
14085_minecraft.jpg

It's the dream of many a startup founder: Make something people love and wind up wildly rich, selling the company for billions.

But after you do that, what comes next? It could be a sense of hopeless isolation.

So says Minecraft founder Markus Persson (aka "Notch") in a strangely revealing series of tweets.

Microsoft bought Minecraft for $2.5 billion almost a year ago, and the founder did not join Microsoft after the sale.

Persson certainly looked like he was having a blast, living the big life. He bought a $70 million mansion, complete with a massive wall of candy, and has been hosting wild parties ever since.

But he's really bored and deeply lonely, he revealed in a series of tweets.

"The problem with getting everything is you run out of reasons to keep trying, and human interaction becomes impossible due to imbalance," he tweeted.

"Hanging out in ibiza with a bunch of friends and partying with famous people, able to do whatever I want, and I've never felt more isolated."

Here's the whole tweet string:

----
My thoughts:

Although I do feel like with some guidance there is a lot more he could be doing with him money to keep him occupied. It isn't about buying it all it is about how you decide to live each day, and "hanging out in ibiza" is a very new money way to approach it, rightfully so, experience the parties, the crazy, the extravgent, but now compete in iron man with a team training you and donate money via a charity for it, or perhaps go and visit schools and help them learn coding, or go to a third world and experience that life.

There is a lot her can do for sure, but the most important thing here is finally someone with a shit ton of money, said "I am not happy".

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/minecraft-founder-feels-isolated-unhappy-2015-8#ixzz3kJG45lbw

Last edited:
This is why I posted in the "what would you do if you win the lottery"-thread that I would continue on working. That´s the thing that makes my world interesting. I suppose if you have a shitty job, this is not going to apply to you, but then you can search for a hobby or learn something new.
From what I can tell, Notch has mainly focused on programming and hedonism, where one can be interesting if you have to figure out stuff, the other just leaves you bored, or looking for the next kick.

He literally did what everyone does with their money and then goes broke doing when insta rich, but he made so much he did it all then stayed rich.

The difference between a million and a billion is vast. 1 million seconds is 11 1/2 days. 1 billion seconds is over 31 years. Most people win between 10 and 150 million, Notch got 2.5 billion. Granted not all the money went to him, but he has room to not go broke.

Relate that to second and you get: most people gain an extra 4 months to 4.8 years. Where notch got an extra 77 years (even if he only got half the money its still like 38 years). He has enough money to go super crazy then still have a lifetimes worth left over.

I've never been focused enough to devote my entire being to one thing, then taking that thing into a larger realm and then being dedicated to it enough to hold out and get what is reasonable. I can only imagine how limited my scope in life and how difficult it would be to have any kind of life after that thing was gone.

Another problem is you cant really just hang out with friends, or open up a carpet store in town because everyone on earth knows who you are and will be complete dicks about asking for money or expecting you to do everything for them.

He should start an education foundation for some tech he's interested in and while teaching other people anything, he can hopefully find the next idea for the tunnel vision to lock on to. I'd love to be a life coach for the newly successful and wealthy. I'd even spring for their first coffee. (
not at starbucks, that's too expensive)

I was able to help some of the execs and really wealthy people in Japan and China, but nothing like this guy's level. That would present some very interesting conditions.

He should start an education foundation for some tech he's interested in
He funds stuff on Kickstarter quite a lot, so that is something. But I do agree, making a foundation is a really good way to burn some money responsibly.

Top Bottom