What's new

Star Citizen Is It Too Late For Me?

Exittus

Fairy Princess
So, I have been on and off following star citizen for, I dunno, a while. It seems interesting, and I would be actually willing to play when it comes out, if not for one thing:

It seems like those who have been following it more closely, who have backed it and bought/gotten starships, are already ahead of the curve. I feel like I can't even compete or catch up, nor do I want to put down lots of money for all those ships either. It just seems so off-putting. I haven't even started and I feel like I am already behind.

So the question is, is it too late to me? Does everyone who has been following and buying ships already have an advantage? Is there any point coming into the hype this late in the game?

So the question is, is it too late to me? Does everyone who has been following and buying ships already have an advantage? Is there any point coming into the hype this late in the game?

Short answer: You can still enjoy the game without spending money before it comes out. You will start with a small ship, but people here are probably willing to assist you and you can work yourself up. The only advantage that they will have is life-long insurance for their ship (not their equipment) which means they have a slight monetary advantage in the game.

The long answer you will get from one of those 100+$ spending nuts of our guild :)

But don't the ships do different things/are better at certain stuff?

So that means that on day one I will be competing against people that can literally do things better than me, since my ship will just be starter. That just puts me off I guess.

But don't the ships do different things/are better at certain stuff?

So that means that on day one I will be competing against people that can literally do things better than me, since my ship will just be starter. That just puts me off I guess.

Your tasks will be different. While I have no experience with Star Citizen, in Eve Online if you have a small ship you will be a scout in front of the big fleet. So you still can be as functional as anybody else, your task is just different. And you should be able to get better ships quite fast. Because you can also lose them quite fast.

So does that mean that Star Citizen can't really be played alone? Like, what if I just want to go around by myself mining out in the galaxy.

That´s why I stopped with Eve, since I didn´t want to commit to a fleet. You can still mine, but it will be super boring.

Okay, then I MIGHT give it a shot. I just don't want to feel useless or shuffled aside because I don't have the biggest, fastest, most efficient ship :(

Here is another worry I have:

Someone has bought a ship. It's better, faster, and more powerful. And this person kills me. I get a few hits off but he doesn't care, he has lifetime insurance. Then I am going to lose, every single time, to someone who bought a ship. Because I can't keep up with the better ship.

Yeah I am in a fleet and have people to have my back, but that won't mean a whole lot when the inevitable happens and my ship is destroyed. Having a certain role in a fleet isn't going to mean anything when I am destroyed because I didn't buy other ships.

That is a literal example of disadvantage, right? Or am I missing something?

There is more to a ship than the ship. You don´t get your equipment back from the lifetime insurance. Ask somebody who plays it, but this will probably be:
-The power core
-All the weapons
-Your engines
-any mods installed on your ship.

So the ships you buy, without all the components like powercores and mods and stuff, are exactly the same as the starter ship? Same speed, power, defense/health, etc?

Also, when you guy a ship, does it come with certain mods and engines and things already?

There will be three types of insurance. Ship insurance covers the base ship and gear it came with, component insurance covers the individual aftermarket items you buy for your ship, and cargo insurance which will cover loss of cargo. (LTI only covers the cheap ship insurance) Ship insurance is something you can get for any ship bought in the game. It is not going to be a big deal as far as cost goes and it only covers the base gear the ship comes with plus the ship itself. Once you start upgrading your ship whether you have LTI or not you're going to have to buy insurance for those upgraded components. That insurance will most likely be much more expensive than the actual ship insurance. Using Elite Dangerous as an example the light fighter costs 40k to buy in game but buying the best components for your ship will put the overall cost well over a million credits.

As far as people having an advantage goes that really isn't something to worry about starting out. The universe will be 90% NPC and the NPCs also control 90% of the economy. You will also have a PVP slider that you can use to match yourself with NPCs and other PVE players. You won't really have to worry about PVP and competition until you decide you're ready to go out in the lawless fringe systems where the PVP slider doesn't work.

Even though the Aurora is called a starter ship the goal is for every ship to have a purpose. Using mining as an example, there will be places where the huge mining laser wouldn't be able to get to the minerals without hitting a gas pocket and blowing everything up. Having smaller ships as part of a mining operation will most likely be a necessity. You could also crew one of our ships or even take the ship yourself to go out and make some quick money. There will be a way to lend ships out to people in your organization but they haven't really detailed how it will work yet.

Top Bottom