What's new

Star Citizen Is It Too Late For Me?

Okay, that puts a little more info out on the table. I'm glad there is a PVP slider so I don;t have to worry about bullies haha

As for people who have bought a ship, or multiple ships: Why did you buy a ship? Why did you choose that one specifically? What do you hope to do in the game/get out of the game?

I started with a Cutlass because I planned on it being my only ship at the time. It's a great multi-purpose ship to start out with that should be capable of mining and scavenging as well as holding its own it a fight. My second and "last" ship was the Avenger mostly due to its aesthetics. After that I started theorycrafting and thinking of all the things I want to do in the game. The problem is the amount of depth they are putting into what you can do makes me want to try everything... I set a limit to how much I want to donate and went from there. I'm still debating about which ships I want to start with but I can always melt (turn in for store credit) ships I no longer want for something else.

What I'm hoping to get from the game is years of entertainment. I'm hoping it will be that game that I want to keep logging into for more than a couple weeks or months. Personally I think the most fun will be having a full crew of people out working together to explore or mine or whatever. I think that's why I have the larger ships I have. My brother and I are fans of Star Trek and other sci-fi shows, so the thought of hopping into a Carrack together and just going out into the universe to explore is really appealing to me.

I, too, am really really interested in just the open-world galaxy feeling of this game. I have a passion and deep-seated love/fear/awe for space, and being put into it freely is just so intriguing to me. I'm definitely interested in the working together to mine, explore, create aspects too. (Not sure if crafting is in but I would love to be able to craft stuff).

With all that being said, I feel a little bit like how I did with Eve...it's just a bit (and by a bit, I mean alot) overwhelming. There's...well, there's alot to it. I don't know where to start, not sure how to even begin "research," and honestly, I can't even decide my own dinner how am I going to decide what to do in a game like this??

So, after all that. Do people have any suggestions? I am not sure if I am committed to getting a ship and getting into the game, but I think it deserves at least a little bit of my time and research to find out more about it.

Just be ready, cause I plan on becoming the biggest pirate in the game. I'll let you be a swabbie on my ship.

I went with the Cutlass Black pack. For me it was a combination of a ship I liked the look of, and what I could afford. It comes with 6 months insurance. I also got the Mustang for free as a Backer 2014 reward.

There is an insane amount of information available right now and a lot of it is outdated. It definitely makes it hard to jump in and get up to speed with where the game is at. Now that we have a Star Citizen section I'll probably start posting the bigger information releases pertaining to the persistent universe. Squadron 42 is the name of the single player/co-op campaign portion of the game. If you back the game you will get to play it as it comes out in an episodic fashion. The first chapter will be out by the end of the year. The total campaign will be 40+ hours with 10+ chapters. It should be a great way of getting used to the controls as well as an introduction to the lore.

If you end up backing but don't know what you want to do then I'd suggest sticking to the jack of all trades ships. You can always melt later as more info becomes available and you decide what you want to do. The aurora, cutlass, and the constellation would fit into this category. Just be sure to get a game package rather than a standalone ship. They ended free alpha access with pledges over a year ago so that is also another $5 if you want access to alpha.

Here is a huge pdf with a ton of info collected in one place. The hardpoint info is now outdated but the rest should be good.
The BIG Star Citizen Admirer's Manual

What makes Star Citizen different.

Wow, that is awesome, thanks alot for the info remainz. When I get home I'll probably start doing some reading.

Like I said, I've only been barely following this on and off. ANd mostly what I've heard is people spending hundreds and thousands of dollars. Is that because the ships cost a lot of money?

The prices of the ships are relative to their in game cost so yes the medium to large ships can be pretty expensive. There are people that spent a ton of money but we only make up a very small portion of the entire community. I forget the exact statistic but out of the 800k backers I think something like 80+% only have an aurora game package. The average pledge is about $100 and that includes people that have spent insane amounts of money. There are always going to be people looking to buy and advantage but for the most part we just want the game to be as good as it can be. One guy on the forums has already pledged $25k and plans on hitting $40k before the game is released. He also plans on starting the game with only a starter ship. Actually there are a lot of big money backers that are doing this just because they want to donate without ruining their initial game experience.

That's interesting, but also a little disheartening. If ships are already valued pretty highly in in-game currency, it's only bound to get more expensive when we are actually going to be in and playing the game. Meaning I'm going to need to put hundreds of hours in to get enough money for the nicer stuff. Unless the quickness you accrue currency is going to be faster than most video games.

They're still hard at work on the in game economy but they mentioned that a Constellation ($225) could be attained in two weeks of play. That doesn't seem too bad at all but it's really early so that might not be accurate. It's also been mentioned many times that the game will not be a grindfest so hopefully that's the case.[DOUBLEPOST=1426539631,1426539526][/DOUBLEPOST]
Just be ready, cause I plan on becoming the biggest pirate in the game. I'll let you be a swabbie on my ship.

Yeah I think it would totally kill what little interest I have if it was a grindfest.

My desire is slowly being piqued, so when I get home I'll watch that vid and stuff. And who knows, I got money to spend, maybe I'll get a ship!

I think one thing to keep in mind is, you can probably get along fine generally avoiding space combat initially if you want. Accrue some money through other means, practice your flying, etc. Maybe hop on a multicrew ship. We still don't know how, in practice, much of these systems will work. I've backed a good amount and I'm terrible at flight combat haha.

I got money to spend, maybe I'll get a ship!
I didn´t preorder this game for one simple reason: It will under deliver.
They´ve promised so much that I feel confident to say that they can´t keep all their promises. The game will be good, I don´t doubt it. But I highly doubt it will become the "perfect" space sim. I might pre-order it a month before it comes out, but everything before that doesn´t sound right to me.

Also, before people come and say "but I´ve played it and it worked!". Yes the single parts do work, but putting all the parts together will be the hardest part. If this doesn´t work properly they will have to cut content.

Top Bottom