What's new

It's a sad day for civil rights

Keleynal

Jesus Freak
I read today that Uganda has decided to criminalize homosexuality, making it punishable by life in prison. Even those who counsel homosexuals or support them in any way are criminalized by the statute. The statements by Uganda's president are outright homophobic and bring ethnic cleansing and other atrocities to mind. To make matters even worse, Ugandan tabloids have started publishing the names of known or suspected homosexuals, encouraging violence against them.

Those of you that know me are aware that I do regard homosexuality as sinful. However, you also know that I advocate loving everyone and treating everyone fairly, which can be a difficult balance to maintain.

The Ugandan laws are actually pretty similar to Biblical Old Testament law, which called for he execution of those caught in homosexual acts, among many other things now considered legal (adultery, disobeying parents, ect). I don't want to turn this into a theological discussion, but I do want to make clear that my position is the same as Christ's when He was confronted with a woman caught in adultery. He did not allow her to be stoned. He did not condone her sin. He forgave her and empowered her to go and sin no more.

Uganda's message is one of condemnation, fear, and hatred. Nothing could be more antithetical to the message of love, acceptance, and hope that should be sent to the LGBT community. I just know that there are going to be some so-called Christian, holier-than-thou types out there celebrating this law as a good thing. We aren't all like that.

I really hope this law does not stand, and in the meantime I hope those victimized by it find relief and safety.

Full story here: http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/25/world/africa/uganda-anti-gay-law/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

It is no wonder that a law like this was able to be passed in Uganda. There is a lot of Propaganda going on against homosexuals. One of the most famous ones is (mildly NSFW):

I can´t even try to imagine how it must be to live in a country where your sexuality is misrepresented in such a way.

It is no wonder that a law like this was able to be passed in Uganda. There is a lot of Propaganda going on against homosexuals.

That video is simultaneously disheartening and hilarious.

This is just disheartening:

ap433552585598_wide-0421411df4216b17cc73c27c8f69f830caf5d4d0-s40-c85.jpg

It's sad because all of this is just misinformation and ignorance. A lot of African nations seem to think these strange things of gay people, especially that they want to make more kids gay (Russia is in here too). I'm pretty sure gay people don't enjoy eating poo poo. And none of my LGBT friends have been getting flyers to this apparent recruitment drive.

That video is simultaneously disheartening and hilarious.

This is just disheartening:

ap433552585598_wide-0421411df4216b17cc73c27c8f69f830caf5d4d0-s40-c85.jpg

It's sad because all of this is just misinformation and ignorance. A lot of African nations seem to think these strange things of gay people, especially that they want to make more kids gay (Russia is in here too). I'm pretty sure gay people don't enjoy eating poo poo. And none of my LGBT friends have been getting flyers to this apparent recruitment drive.

Can those kids even read those signs? Not saying that they are ignorant, but it wouldn't be the first time foreign kids were taken advantage of for a meme.

I think the eating poo thing is pretty equal opportunity. I'd wager more heterosexuals have a poo eating fetish than homosexuals. Just the raw amount of numbers makes that likely.

I think the eating poo thing is pretty equal opportunity. I'd wager more heterosexuals have a poo eating fetish than homosexuals. Just the raw amount of numbers makes that likely.

I would argue that this is not true. I am listing to an adult podcast and the show host is gay. He said that since it is so easy to have sex when you are gay (if you find a hookup point for gay men) it becomes boring, so people start to experiment. So yeah, at least percentage wise the amount would be higher I guess.

Top Bottom