What's new

Just want to say thank you..

greeneguy

Hey everybody.

So I'm not quite sure where else I would post this, so I figured ranting would be the best place to! As some of you read in my application, I am gay. Now this may also sound contradictory for the fact that I also mentioned I don't like to flaunt it around or talk about it much, and I promise that's true.. I think it's just a coincidence that I feel like I need to talk about it again one more time!

Last night, I finally came out to my dad. I have been keeping it a secret from my family for about 4 years now, and it feels so good to let it out. I'm sure most of us have had to go through with admitting something to our family at one time or another..whether it was getting a tattoo, asking for money, getting a ride home from a party for being too drunk, or even coming out of the closet..so I'm sure most of you can understand how hard it is to tell your parents something embarrassing or secretive. Well, it was probably the hardest thing I have ever had to do..in my life.

The worst part was not knowing how he was going to react..whether our almost perfect relationship would shatter forever and become awkward, or if he would still accept me the way I was and not care. I had a feeling it would be the latter...and thank god I was right. We had a long talk, and it was so great to finally put it all on the table and for him to completely accept me the way I am. I am so lucky to have such a loving father who will love me no matter what. I still have yet to tell my mom (because it is almost certain she will not be okay with it), but that is not the point of this "rant".

It just reminded me of how lucky I am to also have an amazing support system in my life, and how it just grew not only to my dad, but to you guys as well. I know I'm new and stuff, but this moment just reminded me how fortunate I am to have run into this website and how accepting you guys have been. I just want to say thank you for accepting me into the fold, and thanks in advance for the fun times I am sure to have with you all! I hope everyone has a great night. That is all. :)

-Ryan/Jenpez/Greeneguy

I am so glad it went well for you. I am also glad that we have been able to be a small part in helping you come to the point of being able to open up with your dad. We try pretty hard here to make sure people are willing to at least live and let live even with differing opinions. Again, welcome and glad to have you aboard!

How brave of you to finally make that decision man! I know we haven't spoken an awefull lot yet, but I kinda am proud of you haha.

Your father is supportive and your mother would disapprove? Huh. That scenario is completely foreign to me haha. But congrats on not being secretive about your life ^_^ It'll definitely drop your stress levels and be able to continue living happily!

Thanks for sharing that with us. It takes a lot of courage do what you did, not to mention that you shared that former-secret with us almost-complete strangers. I'm glad it worked out well for you and look forward to seeing more of you in our community!

Thank you for sharing that experience! I hope that your mom will understand (or at least come around to the idea). I'm fairly certain even if she doesn't react favorably right off the bat she will eventually just want you to be happy being you. Glad your dad was so awesome about it though. Perhaps he can help ease the info to your mom when you sit down to talk to her?

Women need more time to process than men. This is a fact haha. :) So hopefully she just needs to figure it all out "upstairs" then she will get back to you.

Either way, you did it! You can live life one less weight on your shoulders. And your parents raised you to do this, and you did. So even if they don't see it, you know you made them proud.

(Mod hat on)Also OF course this forum is for this kinda rant! Rants aren't always about shit we hate or love, it is also about getting it off our chest!

Congratulations Ryan, so happy it went well! That is a huge step you took, for so often the fear of rejection or the unknown can silence us forever. Now you can LIVE your life. Be Yourself, and Be Happy. Look forward to meeting you in game or on mumble.

Wow, Ryan. I totally understand the feeling and I am so very glad that your dad was not only accepting, but loving towards you. It feels so good to get it out there, and when the most important people in our lives accept us, gay or straight, black or white, that's something that will strengthen your trust with your dad. My mom didn't react very well initially, but my step father (but he's really my dad, for all intensive purposes) reacted better than I could have hoped for. My mother eventually came around and we had many long talks about the impact it would have (and ultimately did have) on my life.

My mother is now the most supportive and loving person I literally have ever met. She's a cornerstone and a rock for me.

I sincerely hope that your mother does "come around" and realizes that even though the gay "lifestyle" may be more difficult for you in some ways, overall, you will be much happier being who you are and finding someone that deserves you rather than living up to someone else's expectations.

We don't know each other yet, but we will. Please let me know if you ever would like to or need an ear. I have been through it and I know how important the support system is.

Very proud of you and your father! Can't wait to meet you! :)

While I can't join my colleagues in complete congratulations and affirmations, I totally respect your courage and thank you for your confidence. I hope you continue to find, here and everywhere, people who love you unconditionally.

Top Bottom