What's new

Let the consumer decide...

TIG

I like GOOOOOLLLLD!
Kevin Spacey gives a lecture in which he explains that the new business model for TV should be to let the consumer have control of how they consume TV.

I like Kevin Spacey. This reminds me to go watch more of House of Cards.

I wonder if his Netflix affiliation had anything to do with this?

He says in the speech how netflix was the only place that would let them do the show how they wanted. as in no pilot. They tried to shop it to all the networks first.

He says in the speech how netflix was the only place that would let them do the show how they wanted. as in no pilot. They tried to shop it to all the networks first.

Networks are mad :)

But it is also going to take a lot more than one show to chance every networks calculated risk quota for Makin money.

Netflix would also need to step up their latest and greatest shows to compete with cable.

Amazon has their new set of original shows coming out soon too.. I've very interested to see how long it takes for things to really get shaken up. Google is in talks with the NFL.. all being very hush-hush, but if Google is angling to take control of Sunday Ticket, I think that would be the thing to really push forward change sooner for US cable.

So I watched the abridged version of the speech and I gotta say, he's not wrong.

It's only a matter of time before we are able to pick the channels we want to pay for and have available. The "cable package" system is archaic and they know it. They are just going to delay as long as they can while they figure out how to make the most money with the system that replaces it. There's a ton of money and lots of jobs at stake here. In 10 years, I think the TV/cable landscape will look completely different.

I'm really hoping with the success of things like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc that we will get to a point where consumers only end up paying for what they want to watch. If I could pick a plan from my provider and have it be something like $10 for 25 channels of a specific variety I'd probably pick that over the current monstrosity that I pay now. I only watch about 25 channels as is probably the case for most people.

There will always be those extra expensive channels like HBO/Showtime, ESPN and any sports channel. But people should be able to have the choice whether or not they want to pay for those.

I'm guessing that by charging everyone a flat rate it really keeps the costs down across the board (but I have a funny feeling people might just be greedy). If television went a la cart I bet individual channels or smaller channel packs would end up ranging in the same amount as a full package does now.

I'm really hoping with the success of things like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc that we will get to a point where consumers only end up paying for what they want to watch. If I could pick a plan from my provider and have it be something like $10 for 25 channels of a specific variety I'd probably pick that over the current monstrosity that I pay now. I only watch about 25 channels as is probably the case for most people.

There will always be those extra expensive channels like HBO/Showtime, ESPN and any sports channel. But people should be able to have the choice whether or not they want to pay for those.

I'm guessing that by charging everyone a flat rate it really keeps the costs down across the board (but I have a funny feeling people might just be greedy). If television went a la cart I bet individual channels or smaller channel packs would end up ranging in the same amount as a full package does now.

The problem with that model is that it may become difficult for shows on less popular topics to get funded. For example, an eye opening documentary about worker conditions in inner cities could be passed over in favor of a reality TV competition about college cheerleaders. The documentary is more worthwhile from a societal standpoint, but people are more apt to buy the cheerleaders.

This is what's happening to the news. More and more news outlets are reporting stupid stuff (like Miley Cyrus) and spending less time on stuff that actually matters. Because Miley brings more clicks, which brings more ad revenue. Providers have the responsibility of giving consumers the quality products that they want. Consumers have the responsibility to value quality products and not ask for crap, because that's what we'll get.

Top Bottom