What's new

Loadout

Claark

So I was about to play SC and I accidently hit the twitch shortcut on my desktop. Firefox launched, and on the main page is this stream of these guys playing a 3rd Person Shooter with some 80s looking beefed up MrT looking twinks with big guns...so I watched a bit.

It's a game called Loadout. It's being independently developed and its essentially a F2P 3PS with some Microtrans customizations. Here's their write-up:

Loadout is an outrageus new multiplayer shooter that’s all about the guns, Baby! Build a massive variety of absolutely insane weaponry — over 50 million combinations — totally customized, totally unique, totally deadly.

You want a launcher that shoots ground-skimming rockets that explode into destructive clouds of flak? You got it!

How about a gun that shoots syringes filled with healing green glowing goo that bounces off walls? It’s done Son!

What about a remote controlled missile that sticks to enemies before destroying them in a massive blue ball of electric destruction? We got you covered.

Loadout is about total and uninhibited player expression. Craft your own guns, design your own loadout, dress your character to the nines, and play your way. Best of all? It’s absolutely free to play!
And of course, a couple screenies:
long-view_dm.jpg

screenshot_fissure_night_02.jpg

And the trailer:

It's kinda like Looney Tunes meets Gears of War. I just got into the closed beta today and have a couple keys if anyone's interested. And from what I gather, its going to be in beta for a bit longer so you'll have plenty of time to check it out. You can sign up on the site: http://www.loadout.com/beta/register.php If you want to try to get in the old fasion way as well.
I'm going to try to hit them up for a few more keys if there's some interest.

This looks hilariously awesome. Gonna sign up as soon as I get home since it requires system info. Don't want to claim a key since I'm not a guildy yet :)

So I got a beta invite and am installing now, I'll post some impressions after I've played for a little while :)

It felt weird to me. Characters take up too much real estate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea the characters really are enormous. I like the art style, but I'd like to see other models besides a giant buff guys.

Once I finally figured out how to properly build custom weapons the game was a lot of fun. The game really doesn't do a good job of explaining how to go about making new weapons, but the system itself is pretty awesome. Being able to test the weapon before building it is an awesome feature.

The gameplay is pretty fast, and the controls are pretty finicky. I found myself dodging inadvertently quite a lot. There were also a good number of times where I was getting hit and had absolutely no idea where it was coming from.

It's a good game to play to kill some time, but I doubt it'd ever be something I played in a serious fashion.

Top Bottom