What's new

Losing Weight

dainjre

Generously Compensated Establishment Provocateur
Hey everyone, it's me. Your good ol' buddy Dainjre. Some of you may know that I am overweight. It's actually something I've struggled with since elementary school. I first grew out, then up. I've actually been sitting around my same height (6'1" area) since the 7th grade, and my weight at that time was in the upper 200s. I avoided scales, a lot... but I know in January, I finally weighed myself to find I'd hit 320... at the time I thought that this was unacceptable. I never really LOOKED super heavy, or at least like what you'd imagine someone of that weight looking like, although I did, and still do, carry a lot of weight in my abdomen, which is a problem within itself, because it means you're at higher risk for diabetes and also heart disease... and I don't know about all of you, but I don't want to take insulin shots or have multi-bypass surgeries.

So I decided to start losing weight, even though I'm lazy. I asked Crystal for help, because she's lost 80 lbs in a year and a half. She set me up with some stuff... low and behold, with very little effort on my part, I've dropped down to 260 so far and with 220 as my goal, I don't feel far off! 10 lbs a month is no joke. I feel a lot better and more healthy as well. Here's some things I started to do to change my habits and it's been working really well for me, it may work for you too! The real key to losing weight is to find something you're comfortable doing. The real enemy here for me is sugar. I cut back on a lot of sugary foods, stuff you wouldn't even think of having a lot of sugar, besides soda. There's a great documentary on Netflix now, it's called Fed Up, check it out! It's about how people even eating diet foods can't lose weight because "low calorie" and "low fat" options are made actually worse for you, because they have increased sugar contents over the full fat versions. By the way, fat isn't really bad for you. :p

1. I stopped drinking Soda. I'm still a caffeine addict, I drink a lot of unsweetened tea... but cut out soda and cut back hard on the beer. They are both filled with sugar. Sugar is usually directly turned into belly fat for most people. Stop drinking soda.

2. Multivitamins and Probiotics. I was mad when Crystal told me to start taking these. Real mad. I felt it was a waste of money. I told her I would try it though, even though they were expensive. Turns out I feel a lot better on them and am getting sick a lot less, which is making me more active. Who'd have thought? (lol) I actually have a blood disease called Thallassemia and I can't have loads of Iron like most people, so I need special ones that don't have Iron in them. The probiotics not only help to keep me healthy and to help me digest food better, but it stops the yobagoya effect as well. These are the vitamins and probiotics I take...
Vitamins
Probiotic

3. Protein shakes. I started drinking a protein shake in the morning. I used to not eat breakfast... the reason why is because when I was younger, I used to eat cereal and milk in the morning... two things that are HIGH (very, very high) in iron and it would overload my body and I would feel really... really sick. So I stopped eating breakfast. This is very bad for you. You should always have something within 2 hours of waking up to start up your metabolism. It also happens that both cereal and milk are very high in sugars, so you should consider cutting those out for a while as well (lactaid is milk sugar, plus cows milk is meant for cows. :p) Anyway, I started drinking a protein shake with a fat burner... as well as some caffeine because I don't really drink coffee in the morning. 1 of these shakes has 2 cups of coffee worth of caffeine, plus the protein gets your metabolism going and because there are very little calories if you put it in water and drink it (think of milk and almond/soy milk if you want to GAIN) it basically becomes a net calorie burn for you! I drink one of these every morning on my way to work... DEFINITELY invest in a blender bottle for this stuff. Oh, and the cookies and cream tastes like ass, get chocolate. :p
Protein

4. Meal replacements/eating habits. Yo, so you just drank a lean shake at 8 am or so... 10 am rolls around, guess what, time to eat again!! Thats, right, you should eat 5 small meals a day. I usually eat like this... shake at 8, protein bar at 10, lunch inbetween 12 or 1, snack at 5 when I get home, dinner at 830 after raid (keep in mind, YOU should probably have your snack at 3 or so then dinner around 6 :p) The important thing here is to keep in mind what you're eating when, and what you're having. The first few days I started eating this much... I felt so full. It was a little gross... then a few days later, my stomach started growling like clockwork. I could always tell when it was time for my meals. For snacks I usually have beef jerky, which is high in protein and low in calories... but you can find something decent. Avocado is good, healthy fats there. Cheese and meat, like salami, etc. All good, all work. Just check the labels of what you're eating... when you look at the sugars per serving, you want something that's >10g or so... did you know that you're supposed to have approx 20g of sugars per day? That means one 8 oz soda (16g of sugar usually) is ALMOST all of your allotted sugars per day... drop the soda people. :p I usually have quest bars for protein bars, IMHO they taste the best. The cookie dough ones have the least amount of sugars in it, so eating that, with the protein and fiber in it is also a net burn for you. :)
Meal replacement

and that's basically all I've been doing coupled with walking around more, etc. No heavy work outs, no lifting, nothing. I even still eat fast food all the time, because that's what I have time for... hopefully I'll be able to cut that mostly out soon, since I just moved into my new place! If you really want to go HAM and drop a bunch of weight fast and you're a man and you don't want to just eat meat all the time, Crystal had a lot of success with a Ketosis diet, which means you can eat literally as much meat, cheese, and fat sources that you want, you just have to cut out the carbs... bread, pasta, fruits, etc. That's pretty much it! Just make sure you start eating more, small, high protein meals and cut out things high in sugars... like your diet sodas and your lite ranches and other dumb bullshit like that that actually makes you fatter!

Good read. Def need to be more active. My stomach is beginning to pop out again. Time to cut soda...again. and stop eating as much.

That's what I did. I basically cut carbs completely for a while a couple years back, and didn't even work out but went from 267 to 240.

Now I'm working out regularly, biking a lot. I have to switch out the workout because I'm on a plateau...my legs are solid but I still have a gut. Also trying to cut back with the girlfriend. Last 3 months have been a ton of eating out at restaurants. Now it's back to grilling things. Hopefully T1G replies here cause he just found a company that makes low carb bread of all things.

Anyway I'm actually looking to get into Kendo soon so that should be another good form of mental and physical conditioning to an extent.

Anyway good tips Turtlebro!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Now, did you notice a significant increase in your food budget by doing this? Between all the shakes / vitamins / jerky and meat increases, it seems like it'd add up pretty quick.

Now, did you notice a significant increase in your food budget by doing this? Between all the shakes / vitamins / jerky and meat increases, it seems like it'd add up pretty quick.
I spend about 125 a month on the stuff. I never ate breakfast before so that's how much extra it was for me. If you spend on breakfast items I'm sure it may be a wash

I spend about 125 a month on the stuff. I never ate breakfast before so that's how much extra it was for me. If you spend on breakfast items I'm sure it may be a wash

Hmm. Thanks! We try to follow a $50 a week combined food budget (which tends to go to about $60-65..), but if we are to start eating different meals it will probably surge a bit for us in needing to buy less "easy" meals and more meats.

Love this. Especially since your approach goes against what most consider common knowledge. Big grats on your success thus far and best wishes for your continued success!

You detailed the small meals a bit, but that's something I've had a hard time with. Is the snack bar really enough? I know you said you were full, but like, really? Really really?

My biggest problem is that I tend to overeat, which usually means finishing whatever I'm served. Portions in the US are just so huge. Regardless of whether or not I have breakfast, I tend to have a big sleep inducing lunch and then a small bite for dinner. I know that I know better, but big lunches have been the biggest issue for me to overcome. I don't realize I'm full until after I've stood up and walked around a bit.

Love this. Especially since your approach goes against what most consider common knowledge. Big grats on your success thus far and best wishes for your continued success!

You detailed the small meals a bit, but that's something I've had a hard time with. Is the snack bar really enough? I know you said you were full, but like, really? Really really?

My biggest problem is that I tend to overeat, which usually means finishing whatever I'm served. Portions in the US are just so huge. Regardless of whether or not I have breakfast, I tend to have a big sleep inducing lunch and then a small bite for dinner. I know that I know better, but big lunches have been the biggest issue for me to overcome. I don't realize I'm full until after I've stood up and walked around a bit.
I don't blame you for asking these questions! I had the same doubts, misgivings, and problems. Let me tell you man, the first day I started the shake, I put 2 scoops of the powder in 16 oz of water, because I prefer them thinner. I was full. I was so full I felt like I'd ate a gigantic meal, because essentially I had. When 10 rolled around, I contemplated not eating the bar... I ate the whole thing despite being completely stuffed after half of it. Lunch rolled around and I was so full I wanted to skip it. I ended up going to McDonald's or something and got a double cheeseburger and a small fry, I couldn't finish the fries. Then 5 rolled around, I had probably 3 oz of beef jerky, then by the time the raid over I was sorta hungry but not really. I went and got some chinese. The feeling of being full lasted probably 3 days or so... Then I was hungry. So hungry man. I made my shake and forgot to start drinking it. Half way to work I realized I felt starving. Like, stomach hurts I need food now. Then I was busy doing a ticket and my stomach started growling. I look at the clock and bam, 10 am like clockwork. Bar fills me up about 2~ hours then around 1230 or so, stomach is going off again, its definitely time to eat. It was so odd to me... But its this way all the time now.

So yeah, to answer your question, the bar makes me feel full for sure, have a bottle of water with it and you'll be stuffed.

Oh! Another addendum to the OP... Of you like fruit juice (my only weakness) stop drinking it. Its literally just as bad for you as soda. A bunch of sugar with no fiber from the actual fruits. I miss fruit juice every day :(

I used to struggle with this all the time growing up. I still do, but now that I am more aware I know how to deal with it.

The breakfast thing is huge, as it usually means I'm less hungry for lunch and can get by with eating less.

I usually always keep a protein bar in my backpack and bust it out when I'm hungry (for me, that is usually 2-3pm in the afternoon). That coincides nicely with my workout in the evening around 5pm since I tend to get hypoglycemic if I haven't eaten something before I workout.

Then I do a protein shake after my workout followed by a light dinner and I am all set! And people like Gyoin, dainjre, and Simpwn can attest to my petite figure <3

To comment on the large portion sizes: you can somewhat control this by going to places and ordering the right things, but if you're anything like me, I am often placed in situations where my meals are chosen for me (business dinners, continuing education seminars, etc).
  • You have to just stop eating when you are full; or
  • When you are done you need to render your food "un-eatable" if you know you will pick at it while it is sitting in front of you. As an example, I don't really care for condiments (a few exceptions), but when I am done with my food I will set it aside. If the waiter is taking awhile to clear it (like they usually do at large business dinners), I just put a bunch of ketchup, mustard, salt, or whatever I have available so I know I won't touch it anymore.

When you are done you need to render your food "un-eatable" if you know you will pick at it while it is sitting in front of you. As an example, I don't really care for condiments (a few exceptions), but when I am done with my food I will set it aside. If the waiter is taking awhile to clear it (like they usually do at large business dinners), I just put a bunch of ketchup, mustard, salt, or whatever I have available so I know I won't touch it anymore.

I don't think I could physically do that, especially when I 95% of the time eat with someone who barely eats a half portion of any food ordered. We joke a lot about how "I gain weight because I always eat a portion and a half", and that's quite true. The financial side of me goes "Hey, you paid $50 for all of these, damn if you don't eat it all", and that leads to me over eating. We also try our best to not "waste" any food in the house, which tends to lead to me eating an extra bit here or an extra bit there.

Caroline does everything she can to limit what I eat, and then some other days I just eat it all anyways.

I just struggle with the schedule and food. To start off with I work graveyards so I'm ass backwards from a lot of people. Throw in some involuntary overtime and you've effectively wiped out time for me to work out and almost guaranteed I am going to grab food from the diner or the deli.

Such but I tend to me better choices at the diner these days.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Oh! Another addendum to the OP... Of you like fruit juice (my only weakness) stop drinking it. Its literally just as bad for you as soda. A bunch of sugar with no fiber from the actual fruits. I miss fruit juice every day

Thx for the extra info! It's funny you mention the juice because we had a company picnic yesterday, volleyball and stuffs. But we ran out of water at one point so I had to choose between a Minute Maid lemonade or a Soda. The lemonade actually had more sugar and calories than the Coke. I ended not taking either because someone pointed out a nearby water fountain.

When you are done you need to render your food "un-eatable" if you know you will pick at it while it is sitting in front of you. As an example, I don't really care for condiments (a few exceptions), but when I am done with my food I will set it aside. If the waiter is taking awhile to clear it (like they usually do at large business dinners), I just put a bunch of ketchup, mustard, salt, or whatever I have available so I know I won't touch it anymore.

Such a good idea. Poison the waterhole!

The financial side of me goes "Hey, you paid $50 for all of these, damn if you don't eat it all", and that leads to me over eating.

I get this completely... growing up my parents made me finish my plate before leaving the dinner table and always talked about how my "cousins overseas wish they could eat like that." So I carried that guilt for 20 years and gained weight every year until I decided to make a change.

If I choose to go somewhere that is more expensive, then that's my fault, first of all. But I'm listening to my body and if it says "stop eating" then I stop. It's probably the hardest thing to do given how I was raised, but now that I'm more aware of it I can do something about it.[DOUBLEPOST=1430424077,1430423988][/DOUBLEPOST]
I don't think I could physically do that, especially when I 95% of the time eat with someone who barely eats a half portion of any food ordered.

You can plan for this though... when me and my brother go out to eat we often share a plate if we know the portions are large. Just ask for extra plates and silverware.

There's always the option to take leftovers. Plus, the cost of health issues related to being overweight will greatly outweigh the former.

We do leftovers too, don't get me wrong. It's not forced upon me, I just like eating it all.

Few Things I can add: Sometimes when you feel hungry, you are actually thirsty. So drink a cup of water before you start eating.
Best thing in my expierience to fill you up is a apple plus a glass of water.

Another thing, when you start dieting and feel like you have no Energy, you are either eating wrong or have problems with your hormons/thyroid gland. Get yourself checked if that happens.

Also protipp: Dont live with your parents who have a Restaurant...[DOUBLEPOST=1430424728,1430424685][/DOUBLEPOST]
We do leftovers too, don't get me wrong. It's not forced upon me, I just like eating it all.
I have the same Problem

Congrats Dainjre!

Here is my 2 cents:
2 rules for a more healthy diet
1. Do something that gets results. If what you are doing doesn't work trash it and pick something else
2. Pick something that you can live with. If its a true struggle to keep up with your diet you will never stick to it. Make a lifestyle change not go on a diet

As for me, I did a ton of research about 4 years ago and changed my diet because of it. In 10 months I lost about 65 pounds from diet alone. No exercise. When I went back to crap food I gained it all back. I am now back on the diet and in 6 weeks have lost 15 pounds.

What I believe (I have read the science to back this up) is that carbs turn into fat. Both carbs from grains or starches, and complex carbs like sugars. So count carbs not calories. The reason behind it is that carbs are broken down and introduced into your blood stream WAY faster than say fiber or protien. Your body is built to be able to process only so much energy out of food its needs in a given amount of time (more if you are active or exercising) and the rest is stored for later in the form of fat. This goes back to our evolution as feast or famine eaters. High sugar items like fruits were only seasonal and in short supply in the wild. You only ate when you could gather or hunt, etc. Once we became an industrialized race we started to farm and process previously inedible items like wheat into things we could eat. Genetically we are not built to efficiently process those so all the extra gets turned into fat stores.

Unlike what most people preach, eating fat does not make you fat. The only bad fat is trans fat because it is a man made thing that broken down from the structure of normal fats so that it will be easier to use in processed foods. We just don't digest it properly. That means eat all the bacon and butter you want.

As stated above, breakfast is SUPER important. It starts your body on the right metabolic track for the day, it postpones your hunger and need to make bad choices because of said hunger. I also do a protein shake. I have found the brand "Jay Rob" whey protien the best tasting. Whey comes from milk btw.

Here is my simple diet/lifestyle that should work for most humans.
For fat loss limit your carbs. If you stay within these ranges you can eat any quantity you want at any time to feel not hungry/full.
Under 50 grams of carbs per day = ketosis or rapid fat loss
50 to 100 grams of carbs per day = moderate to slow fat loss
100 to 150 grams of carbs per day = maintain weight levels
Over 150 grams of carbs per day = gain weight

These numbers are stereotypical for men. Many women I have talked to need to lower these numbers by about 1/3 so 30, 66, and 125.

The byproduct of this diet is you will eat more "home made" or natural foods and way less processed, premade, and fast foods. I too gave up all drinks like soda for water and unsweetened tea. And yes, fruit juice is just sugar water. The biggest issue with this is the time it takes to prep and make food. You will be making most of your food. some places have low carb options, but they are costly and not easy to find.

As for the cost it really is about the same or less than if you are eating junk or fast food most of the time. The only time you get greater costs is if you are buying groceries and fast food at the same time. Plus $10 in groceries can make a meal for 2 or 3 while at fast food it is enough for 1 maybe 2 if you are cheap.

Another thing to remember is that carbs that are bound up in things like fiber and sugar alcohols are processed by your body at the same speed or in the same way as things like fiber and protein so they actually don't "count" as carbs in your daily count. The reason for this is that since they take longer to process (they sort of trickle in instead of dumping all at once) the body can use the majority of the energy they impart for use efficiently.

So watch your carb intake. Read serving sizes along with the amount of carbs. 20g of carbs with 15g of carbs from fiber is really 5g of carbs. Go to dinner and eat everything on the plate, just make sure there is no or very little carbs.

And finally if you want some suggestions, check out:
mark's daily apple. A blog about the primal/paleo lifestyle with lots of great science and recipes and articles
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

Great low carb bread co. They sell bread and pizza crusts and muffins and pretzles and other stuff that has 1 to 3 net carbs. The stuff tastes goood too.
http://www.shop.greatlowcarb.com/main.sc

for your candy bar/ sweet snack cravings check out the atkins line of protien bars and snacks. They process the food so that most of the carbs are bound up in sugar alcohols so they don't count as carbs
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref...Atkins&keywords=atkins&ie=UTF8&qid=1430429093

Gary Taubes books on the science of fat. He goes back and researches the origins of the low fat health movement and all the science of diet knowledge. He then tells you what is good science and bad and lets you decide. Why we get fat is the easier to read book and good calories bad calories is the very heavy science one

http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fa...qid=1430428840&sr=8-1&keywords=why+we+get+fat

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories...qid=1430428840&sr=8-3&keywords=why+we+get+fat

Top Bottom