What's new

Meet YouTube Red, the ultimate YouTube experience

Milleuda

Mother Hen

There are mixed emotions right now about the newly announced YouTube Red, which involves a membership payment that removes ads and offers member-only perks, including offline access to media, syncing across multiple devices, and more.

One of the big questions out there is the implications to content creators. There are lots of unknowns right now, but people are talking.

Source: Meet YouTube Red, the ultimate YouTube experience
***​

For years, YouTube’s fans have been telling us they want more—more choice when watching their favorite content, more ways to support their favorite creators and, above all, the option to watch their favorite videos uninterrupted.

On October 28, we’re giving fans exactly what they want. Introducing YouTube Red -- a new membership designed to provide you with the ultimate YouTube experience.

YouTube Red lets you enjoy videos across all of YouTube without ads, while also letting you save videos to watch offline on your phone or tablet and play videos in the background, all for $9.99 a month. Your membership extends across devices and anywhere you sign into YouTube, including our recently launched Gaming app and a brand new YouTube Music app we’re announcing today that will be available soon.

YouTube Music is designed to make discovering, watching and listening to music easier than ever. Any song or artist you choose on YouTube Music will start you on a personal journey through one of the richest music catalogs; just sign in, tap a track you love, and see where your music takes you. And as a special bonus - YouTube Red works with Google Play Music, so subscribe to one and automatically get access to the other.

And starting early next year, YouTube Red will get even better with member-only access to new, original shows and movies from some of YouTube’s biggest creators. You can read all about Originals coming to YouTube Redhere.

We’re working to bring YouTube Red and our YouTube Music, Gaming and Kids apps to more countries soon. And don’t worry! The free, ad-supported version of YouTube we all know and love isn’t going anywhere. You’ll still be able to enjoy YouTube, along with the YouTube Kids, Gaming and Music apps free of charge. But with YouTube Red, you’ll be able to support the people who make your favorite videos while watching what you want, when you want, on any device you want, uninterrupted.

Viewers in the U.S. can try YouTube Red for free with a one month trial on October 28 and YouTube Music will be coming soon.​

At face value, it sounds goods to me (though, I do remember the days before the video ads). I'd assume there's no change in potential income for content creators since the subscription fee replaces ad revenue.

At face value, it sounds goods to me (though, I do remember the days before the video ads). I'd assume there's no change in potential income for content creators since the subscription fee replaces ad revenue.

Subs will always outweigh ads if the content is purchased. If it is random one off views then it will not. Looking interesting RED about this earlier today.

I haven't had Ads anywhere for a long time. Using ad blocking plug-ins for chrome is fucking awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I will probably get it, if content creators get something out of it. If not, I will stick with my adblock.

I will probably get it, if content creators get something out of it. If not, I will stick with my adblock.

This is my curiosity standpoint. How much of it goes to content creators and how much goes to YT/Google. I would assume that due to missing ads on channels that YT would still cover the revenue for said ad, but who knows. They may not.

According to the soundcloud I´ve posted 45 to content creator 55 youtube. The 45 is shared among all the videos watched by time.

Damn you Cynical Brit. I didn't have a chance to listen to it yet.

That's intriguing since the current Ad revenue for Youtube is 55 to creator and 45 to YT. But again, the amount of ad revenue one person creates from watching is most likely less than $10 a month, so it was probably still benefit the creators more than the click avenue. Plus, this makes the argument that you don't need to cut long videos into shorter ones to increase views/ads/clicks since it will be time based.

I'll post some of my recent YT stats. It's actually pretty interesting learning this stuff first hand on the backend. I've always wondered how it worked.

That said, I've made about 30 cents guys! XD

Boo :(
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1snn7r4
Got some new information on Youtube Red last night which makes the system worse than I'd hoped. So initially we assumed that the way the revenue split would work would be on a per Red user basis, so every month each Red users minutes watched would be calculated as a split of their subscription money and then paid out to each channel. Turns out that's not the case. There's actually a giant pool of revenue from ALL the Red subs. Your channel gets paid a percentage of the TOTAL pool, based on number of minutes watched by Red subs. So whatever the ratio of your minutes watched is vs the total minutes watched in the pool, multiplied by the total revenue would be your payout. So what's the difference between that and the other payout method? Well it's worse for smaller channels, simple as that. The idea that you could have a bunch of committed Red subs that watched you a lot and get a good chunk of their sub money every month even with a small audience is now not a viable one. The vast majority of channels will still be better off under Red than without Red but not by much. The channels that stand to benefit the most are the larger ones, with older demographics who tend to watch longer content, so channels like mine. What's annoying about this from a user standpoint is that it sees part of their sub money going to channels they dont even watch. What's annoying from a creator standpoint is that its not the equaliser for niche channels that I was hoping for. Will almost every channel still make more money than they do now? Yes. Will it be noticeable for many? Probably not, unless Red is super successful which I doubt. So conclusion? Red's not a great way to support the channels you like, if you wanna do that, you're better off buying merch, donating direct or subbing via Patreon or Twitch. Red is a good way to support the overall "Youtube Ecosystem" and it's better than having no legit ad-free option at all, but as it stands its only really going to make a big difference for the big guys and that's a real shame.

That sounds more like what I was expecting. I mean, I'm making literally pennies right now, so it doesn't really affect me at all other than I may lose out on a penny or two (unless for some weird reason a Red Subscriber only watched my content).

End of the day, YouTube will be winning on this deal, as I'm sure $10 a month will be higher revenue than basic ad revenue from an average viewer.

End of the day, YouTube will be winning on this deal, as I'm sure $10 a month will be higher revenue than basic ad revenue from an average viewer.
I agree, as long as YouTube Red takes off. At this point I guess it depends what that $10 gives you compared to other monthly, paid services.

I think it sucks that it's not better for the smaller channels. That is who needs it.

Top Bottom