What's new

Mortal Kombat X Debuts First Gay Character in Series

Milleuda

Mother Hen
The gaymer community is buzzing right now as news articles are popping up about Mortal Kombat X's first gay character in the series! Kung Jin, one of the new Shaolin monks, reveals he is gay during a cutscene with with Raiden (conversation starts at 12:35):​

I've watched this scene a couple of times now, and one of the things that has impressed me is how the dialogue is very subtle. Someone who isn't paying attention to the context would miss it completely:​
Kung Jin: "You wanted me to attack you. Why?"​
Raiden: "To release your anger. Make you amenable to reason."​
Kung Jin: "And make me feel like $h!t."​
Raiden: "Self-loathing has always been an unfortunate part of your makeup. There lies ahead a brighter path. One that will truly honor your ancestors. One that is worthy of you. Go to the Wu Shi Academy. Join the Shaolin. Like Kung Lao before you."​
Kung Jin: "I can't... They won't... accept --"​
Raiden: "They care only about what is in your heart. Not whom your heart desires."
It isn't explicitly stated, but Kung Jin's sexuality was confirmed in a tweet by Mortal Kombat X's cinematic director Dominic Cianciolo. While there is a minority upset that Kung Jin's sexuality is not explicitly stated, I'm actually happy they introduced it this way. The focal point of Kung Jin's character is not his sexuality, but it's rather a part of who he is. He is also a reformed thief, an archer, a monk, and a member of the Special Forces Unit. His sexual preference is a part of his character, but it’s not the only thing that defines him. I feel that gaymers will relate to him in that way since many of us spend a portion of our lives either in the closet or implicitly referencing our heart's desires.​
YAY for diversity in games!!!​

Subtlety is the best way to make a strong point.
Anyone can shout, few can speak.

Still, that's extremely subtle.
Very happy to see they confirmed the suspicion and implication.
Let's hope there's more to come and another well thought comment in the series to come out with.

In a way this could be a great introduction to a that side of a character who comes out in a very real way.
I've never met a person who came out in a very public or even vibrant way. Even the student who came out to me was pretty subtle about it.
The feeling of openness may have been very vibrant and the fear of reaction too, but it has always been subtle in stories I heard or witnessed.
May the next line of confirmation come from the character themself to inspire more who are conflicted about confirming suspicions (or obvious truths) too.

Now after that first time, it usually grew in potency and openness.

Kinda like sex, the first time was usually pretty weak even if you are a god now.

This just in: MKX advocates the dismemberment of gays...

...and straights, and "undecideds" (lookin at you, D'Vorah). It's pretty much equal opportunity dismemberment now. I join the others in congratulating those of nontraditional lifestyles as they finally take part in the slaughterfest.

/remove tongue from cheek.

I watched a YouTube walkthru of the MKX sotryline. The above dialogue confused me a little because Kung Jin never implied any types of feelings towards others. There's obviously something going on between Takada and Jacqui Briggs (score one for interracial relationships?), but Kung Jin.... never even implied except that one line. I think they should have done more if they really wanted to tout his predilictions, but I guess it's something.

There's obviously something going on between Takada and Jacqui Briggs (score one for interracial relationships?), but Kung Jin.... never even implied except that one line. I think they should have done more if they really wanted to tout his predilictions, but I guess it's something.

Gaymers are actually divided on this one. Some wanted him to be more explicit, and others like it implicit. There are merits to each argument, but at the end of the day I'm just happy we were represented in a main stream fighting game from my childhood.

I still want a gay main character in a high profile game.
Curse you Ballad of Gay Tony. Let me play Tony :(

If I gift you Ballad of gay tony, will you play it?

Depends.

1. Does it require the base game to play? It looks like a DLC/expansion.
2. If I don't play it right away, will you be upset? Right now my only free night of gaming is Tuesday night when I stream, so it would have to wait until I finish Mass Effect (series) to even try it out.

My answer will depend on the information I receive from above <3

Depends.

1. Does it require the base game to play? It looks like a DLC/expansion.
2. If I don't play it right away, will you be upset? Right now my only free night of gaming is Tuesday night when I stream, so it would have to wait until I finish Mass Effect (series) to even try it out.

My answer will depend on the information I receive from above <3

1. nope
2. no problem, if you promise to write about it on the site here

Top Bottom