What's new

Movie Theaters. I don't do that.

ToxicAsF

Over Analystical Extreme Gambler
Alright, some of you may know that I don't really do movies. Occasionally I'll watch a movie when Caroline wants to see one, but for the most part I'm not a big movie guy. I'd much rather marathon a TV series with a continuing life than a 90 minute stint. I personally don't see the value in a lot of movies. I prefer to do other things.

That said, I really have no need for movie theaters. Once a year, if that, I go to the movie theaters (usually because I was given gift cards). I hate the places. Tickets will be 20 bucks for me and Caroline for a matinee (because I don't want to go during a prime time with some shmuck sitting behind me kicking my chair, some tall shmuck in front of me blocking my view, or sitting in a cloth chair that, literally, is THE most disgusting place to sit in the world. Seriously, Movie Theater chairs have more bacteria and fecal matter on them than the toilets there will. True story.

Not only that, the food prices are outrageous. I won't pay for that shit. I'll go to the store right before, buy my soda and candy and popcorn (all smuggled in via a massive purse that Caroline shall hold and my deep pockets) for cheaper than the smallest of concessions at the theater. Fuck that noise. I know, they don't make much money off of the movie itself, but fuck that. I'm not wasting my hard earned money on convenience. I'm not that kinda guy.

Alright, now this is the part the really gets me. I actually have pretty sensitive hearing and eye sight. I get headaches easily. That's why I love my chair, TV, in my environment. I have it all set perfectly for my comfort. When I go into a theater, I have to prepare for eye blistering lights in a dark room and deafening sounds that pierce my ear drums, ruining my experience. It's not like I can request they turn it down. That's also why me and Caroline tend to prefer bars and restaurants at like 5PM instead of 8 or later. Too loud. Uncomfortable and not enjoyable. All we have to deal with at that time is elderly people, and they are the sweetest and nicest and QUIETEST people around. Hells yeah!

"BUT BRUCE, 3D! IMAX! IT'S SO AWESOME!"

No. Go fuck yourself. Watching a movie is the exact same between watching it on a TV or even a fucking phone. Is a book going to be any better if you read it in large text versus small text? No, it's still the same book. It doesn't change your experience in some magical form because you sat in a pile of someone else's shit surrounded by people that are getting jerked off by some strange chick that's on a second date with while some knucklehead yells some stupid shit in front of you.

"OMG THAT EXPLOSION! IT'S SO MUCH BETTER BECAUSE IT WAS BIGGER AND LOUDER!"

No. It wasn't. It's the same fucking explosion. You want to watch a cool explosion? Go buy some fucking fireworks. Drink first into oblivion and blow off your hand in the process. That'll be a real experience that you'll never forget. Dickwad.

"I GOT TO SEE IT AT MIDNIGHT RELEASE BEFORE ANYONE ELSE! OMG I'M SO COOL! LET ME TELL EVERYONE EVERYWHERE WHAT HAPPENED SO THAT I CAN SPOIL THE EXPERIENCE FOR EVERYONE ELSE!!!!"

Yeah. I'm glad I didn't care about it, or I would be really pissed off about it. I'm sure you've all had something ruined by these assholes. But hey, you're the one on the internet.

And you know what? I'm not here to promote piracy, but if I REALLY want to see any of the movies, I could probably find it online somewhere. And you know what? It'll be in terrible quality. But it's the same exact thing I would've seen in theaters. Some guy's head in front of me, blurry vision from my poor eyes, and sound blasting through that I can't even tell what the fuck is going on anyways. So I'll just save my money, tell the movie industry to go fuck itself, and let all you people pay your 50 dollars to have the same experience I'll have for free.

"BUT DUUUDE YOU'RE MISSING OUT!"

Nope. Again, go fuck yourself. Seriously, take that cucumber out of the fridge and shove it up your ass. I'll stay in my clean apartment, eat my inexpensive food, and watch my tv/anime/sports and play my games while you all pay money out the wazoo so you can sit in shit (seriously, go look it up), eat overpriced crap, and watch something that is, chances are, going to leave you disappointed.

20 bucks for two durning matinee prices?

What?

We have like 8.50 normal prices and 5 matinee prices. ):

Mind is so blown right now.

In NYC there is only 1 theatre I go to. Fucking 25 dollars for a ticket. No Imax, no 3D bullshit, but a sound system that will make your ears vibrate with joy. IRON MAN 6453 HERE I COME!

Btw I am so fucking proud of this rant. Finally a rant with some bit, curses, name calling, and balls. You made me proud tonight. (Tear drop)

I agree with this rant. Movies have gotten uber expensive. I tend to go very rarely these days to stuff that I know I will enjoy. Besides, I got Netflix anyway.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

While I can agree that for you movie theaters are probably the worst experience, for me I enjoy them.

I watch a lot of tv and movies and read a lot of books. The reason is that if done well they can pull me into the story and I forget about the rest of the world.

Alright, now this is the part the really gets me. I actually have pretty sensitive hearing and eye sight.
This is the only argument in your whole rant that would make me side with you. Having this issue in a theater where the lights and sounds are over the top would ruin the experience and the movie for me.

sitting in a cloth chair that, literally, is THE most disgusting place to sit in the world
no worse than any restaurant or other public place with cloth seating. No one cleans that shit like they are supposed to.

Not only that, the food prices are outrageous. I won't pay for that shit
You made my counterpoint for me in that same paragraph. Eat beforehand, don't consume at their prices, smuggle snacks in. Paying those prices is a choice.

Watching a movie is the exact same between watching it on a TV or even a fucking phone
Here is where you go way off the tracks. Watching in the different formats are in no way the same. The size of the screen and volume of the sound does matter. On a phone or tv you have much more life interjecting itself into your consciousness. Sounds from outside, someone walking into the room, the knowledge you can change the channel and wondering what the game score is right now. It all pulls you out of the experience.

Now in a theater you have so many less distractions. You know you can't change the channel, you can't hear much past 3 seats away in any direction except for the blaring movie, its dark so you can't see much besides the movie.

And biggest of all is that it fills your peripherals. The fact that the screen fills most of your vision is the biggest reason you can suspend disbelief and let yourself fall into a well made movie. IMAX is even better. That shit is so big people get motion sickness because their only frame of reference is the movie screen. When they do flying shots in a IMAX you feel like you are flying sometimes. Go watch the Grand Canyon one and tell me your stomach doesn't drop when they fly over the lip of the canyon and drop in.

That immersion can't be reached on a phone or tv.

I GOT TO SEE IT AT MIDNIGHT RELEASE BEFORE ANYONE ELSE!
I make a point of going to see midnight releases and/or first weekend runs of movies I really want to see. Partially to not get blindsided by dicks on the internet or in my life spoiling it for me. Partially so I can vote with my wallet for things I want to see and see more like them made. Joss Wheadon, Kevin Spacy, Marvel Studios and many others make things that I want to see. If people stop paying for them they will stop making them.
So while you may be missing out because of sensitive eyes and ears the rest of us aren't. It's like saying you can't taste chocolate so fuck all the chocolate lovers. If you could experience movies like I do I think you would have a different opinion.

Sometimes movies aren't that straightforward. In Texas, we have the Alamo Drafthouse. Not only will they show obscure movies like the recently-restored Metropolis (the 1927 Fritz Lang sci-fi film that inspired Blade Runner, Brazil, and pretty much everything), they'll serve you pizza and beer while you watch. They also used to do Weird Wednesdays - bad, crazy, and/or stupid movies for free so you can make fun of them - which is where I was introduced to the glory that is Turkish Star Wars.

But regular, corporate movie theaters? Yeah, not so much.

This rant makes me glad I don't live in an expensive town. The theater closest to me, for some reason, charges matinee prices during the week and only ups the prices during the weekend. Which means, I got to see the midnight release of Skyfall for $10 for 2 people (I get off work at midnight, so this was especially convenient).

That being said, I find it impossible to match the movie experience of a theater at home.

Also, I have bad hearing, so theater sound is especially convenient for me. I watch everything at home with subtitles. Everything.

I agree with Bruce to some extent, I hate movie theaters and HARDLY EVER go to the movies if at all... its been... years actually since last I went, lemme give you an idea my last movie at a movie theater was Transformers... yeah the first one.

BUT!! when I really want to watch a good movie or something I really like (Harry Potter series come to mind) I reserve 2 seats at a VIP room with reclinable leather chairs and where I can order sushi, beer, etc. Each ticket is $10 TOTALLY FUKIN WORTH IT!!! you cant reproduce the cinema experience at home unles... no, you just can't no matter how much you spent on your system, the magnitude of it can't be reproduced at home. Unless you spend thousands and thousands of dollars making a room fit for it, etc etc etc... and still it's not the same, figure buying a beer and drinking it at home, nice right? well it's not the same as going and having a beer at a nice pub. If you think so you're just being delusional, both can be nice but not the same and you might like one better than the other sure! but again... not the same.

wanted to add another mayor inconvenience I have with movie theaters, I'm a big guy, you know.... FAT!, the little chairs... uncomfortable as fuck.
TLDR: Fuck movie theaters. and their chairs.

For me its all about getting out of the house and spending time with my wife and having a date night. Its all about the experience for us. Our theater near our house is $7.25 matinee and $10 after But we also get leather seats and some really good customer service.

It was cold in the theater i was in so i went and let them know, bam 5 minutes later heat kicked on

Top Bottom