My Stream TECH SPECS!! How to Etc!

tr1age

Administrator
Staff member
What programs do you use?

Xsplit and Dxtory
http://xsplit.com
http://dxtory.com

I use Xsplit to control the screen aka input all the dxtory windows and extra webcams and overlays to.

I use DXtory to capture my OPENGL games.

Here is a GREAT tutorial to get both working:
Livestreaming using Dxtory and Xsplit

What are my settings?
This is where it gets complicated, your experience with these settings will vary depending on what computer you use as well as internet speeds. So here are a bunch of screenshots of each program to show you what MY bandwidth can handle.

Two different speedtests:
1894079547.png

MY NEW SETTINGS FOR 1080p Streaming.
IF YOU ARE STREAMING TO TWITCH.TV you will need to change the VBV Buffer to 4000 in order to not lag.

View attachment 154View attachment 155View attachment 156
dxtory2.png

dxtorysound.png

THIS WAS MY OLD SETTINGS FOR 720P Streaming.
Xsplit Settings
30FPS
1280 x 720 (yes, not 1080p... some will argue that the quality is better that way, I will argue that too many people lag when you try to do this, not on YOUR end but on the VIEWERS end, IE go to youtube and try loading a 1080p video vs a 720p. The difference is NOT WORTH IT either viewing quality or download speed needed)
View attachment 157

DXTORY Settings
dxtory.png

dxtory2.png

dxtorysound.png

dxtoryprocessors.png

What do you run your games at?

1080p
With my new computer and 1080p settings I run everything at max 2560 X 1600 on my end and shrink it down to 1920 X 1080 for the stream.

With 720P Settings:
I run most my games at 1600X900 or up I run as high as 1920 X 1080
It has to be some sort of number that is a 16:9 format so when Xsplit broadcasts it back as 720p you don't get a weird disconnect between your screen and Xsplit.

There are some bugs, such as full screen not working with some games, and some games running at higher settings than others. Gotta play around with that.

Hopefully this was helpful. For more info ask away!

Interesting that you use Dxtory. I just heard about this one too, so I will have to check it out further.

XSplit is a great program, though. I have been using it since it first came out into Beta. It's almost out of Beta and will cost money... what are your thoughts on that? I forget if it's a one-time payment or not.

I agree that xsplit looks great if you run your game at 720p too, but from my limited testing, it looked pretty awful converting 1080 > 720. FMLE seemed to handle the conversion better, but used more resources whilst doing it. I stream with FMLE 3.2 h.264 25fps at 1080p, 5.5mbps using 5 second keyframes and a 3 second cut off buffer. FME 2.5 with VP6 at 720p would arguably be a viable low-bandwidth alternative for xsplit once it becomes a pay to use program. VP6 handles motion very well without needing more than 1.5mbps upload @ 720p.

hdqq said:
I agree that xsplit looks great if you run your game at 720p too, but from my limited testing, it looked pretty awful converting 1080 > 720. FMLE seemed to handle the conversion better, but used more resources whilst doing it. I stream with FMLE 3.2 h.264 25fps at 1080p, 5.5mbps using 5 second keyframes and a 3 second cut off buffer. FME 2.5 with VP6 at 720p would arguably be a viable low-bandwidth alternative for xsplit once it becomes a pay to use program. VP6 handles motion very well without needing more than 1.5mbps upload @ 720p.

Correct it cannot handle 1080p

For those with slower up and lesser computer specs:

Use Xsplit and dial in these numbers:

Game resolution 1280 720
Broadcast resolution 1280 720
Quality 8
Max Bit 1200
Buffer 2400
Sound 22.050 16
Bitrate 96000

Select screen region of your windowed game and VUALA perfect stream :)

Hello
firstly i love you guide tr1age really helped me get my stream up in quality :) ..
but i have a question and i dont know if you know this but, how do you get that HQ tag on your stream ? ..
i mean if this is still the settings you use, and looking at your stream for comparison to mine, they look very similar, so how come mines not HQ and yours is ? :) ..

really try to get it as good as possible for the viewers so would love any help possible :)

Stream is: www.twitch.tv/swiftyxnap <-- dont know if we're allowed to post links but i take the chance :) ..

hope you can help me ..

Regards
Swifty :)

You are talking about transcoding. You are not a jtv "partner" and therefore do not get the service. You are not going to be able to do it. Sorry.

Oh this is really interesting - alot of people have been telling to look into these two software ( I didn't realize you can use them both in combination). I might need to look further into these, the prices don't seem too bad.

Also as a joke I thought I would try out the speedtest at work.......WOW I wish I could just set up my PC and game from here....it's INSANE!! :eek:

2045563691.png

Top Bottom