What's new

Wildstar My thoughts on the first beta - also PsionicFox is awesome and I will be joining you for launch!

I tried out Wildstar for the first time this weekend past, mainly for the Alttabme competition and love of game-related toys to litter my desktop with, but also because they actually sent me a beta key.

I devoted a around 14h to playing the Spellslinger class, to get as much of an idea as possible about the game in case I didn't get another chance.

My first complaint occured as I messed around at character creation, "Why can't we be Dominion guild, Chua animations are soooo awesome." This complaint was only answered a little later "Well, ok, the Dominion are completely clueless about PvP."

Next, I very nearly quit the beta/the game entirely over questing. My picking the Aurin starting area was a bad choice apparently, as I found the questing banal and repetitive. The saving grace was the combat - something that was entirely unexpected for me.

While I briefly tried the Esper, the lack of a moving basic attack made me lose interest VERY quickly. I arrived at the conclusion that Spellslinger was the choice for me even before I'd downloaded the game, and it turned out to be the right one. Coming from GW2, I NEED dynamic combat to keep my interest, and the Spellslinger, with their narrow attack cones, snares, slows and movement skills, combined with the double-tab dodge and enemy telegraphing, not only made the class fun, but addressed much of what I hate about MMOs in general.

The ability to lose mobs quickly when running away is very important to me in an MMO - you only fight what you want to fight. In my limited WoW experience, as well as TSW, you had to run a half-marathon to get enemies to leave you alone. In Wildstar, you have the sprint button from the start, and the Gunslinger has Gate to GTFO and Void Slip to pretend you were never there.

Next, enemies actually die quickly. Woah...I expected them to be a massive time-sink. Even as a starter character I can grab a hoard of level-appropriate enemies and fry them in seconds. Colour me impressed.

After the banal levelling, the light at the end of the tunnel was PvP. It was seriously slick, fast and minimal, and I loved it. Also the opposition was shit every time I played, with 4+ enemies trying (and mostly failing) to kill me while my team stole all the objectives.

Housing. I want a house in space. I cannot afford a space-house. I cannot afford too many things. Knives are cheap. SPACE!

So what didn't I like? Lack of GW2 waypoints. Yeah, I was spoiled, but I'm not a fan of Taxis. I do like the transmat systems and Scientist group summons is both easy to obtain and really handy to use. The questing arrow was good to have, but a bit annoying that you couldn't keep it active...then I installed mods. I like mods.

So, at the end of the beta, I wanted to play more (more PvP specifically). I wasn't sure if I wanted to pay a subscription or not (that's always been a big hangup for me, subs + triple A game cost).
This morning I got a message from PsionicFox telling me to get online (for what I assumed was a new beta key). I now have THE FULL GAME without paying for it, thanks to Psionic's generous gift, which means I'm prepared to pay subscription for a few months.

So...I'm back, see you on the battlefield!

plz. stahp. shipping to aus will hurt me :(

But hey, if I have to ship to Aus, I'd rather it be a guildie. lol

I took a break from FFXIV this weekend since I got a beta key, too. I admit I was pleasantly surprised! I try not to ride the hype train because of past heartaches (GW2), so I went into it with low expectations.

I typically always play the healer archetype in MMOs, and they took a unique approach away from unit frame clicking with the telegraphed heals (I tried out the Medic this weekend). If I can get into the last beta I'm definitely going to try the other healer classes to see which one fits my playstyle.

So... I wasn't expecting it but I might be joining in the fight for the Nexus after all! I'll have to keep lurking around and accidentally end up on the same server so I can play with some of you *ponysmile:

For sure, algorac (human/granok) starting area is the place to be on the Exile side.

Glad to see we are going to have more bodies in W* welcome aboard. I'm going to need some leveling partners.....and I don't mess around. With all the healers I'm seeing coming out of the works I might be that guy that goes medic dps.........probes FTW.

Glad to see we are going to have more bodies in W* welcome aboard. I'm going to need some leveling partners.....and I don't mess around. With all the healers I'm seeing coming out of the works I might be that guy that goes medic dps.........probes FTW.

I'm loving all these healers. Makes me feel better rollin' tank.

Medic dps looks totes legit btw

I need more aussie players since I will be playing into the late night realm! Tell all your friends.

Weekends I can play all night if I want weekdays area different story.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I don't even know what my sleep schedule is right now. I might have to switch back to nights (4/7-7/10) soon anyways. But as of right now I definitely wake up at 3/4 AM CST every day for no reason. -.-

Awesome Dire, I was pretty disappointed in the limited movement based attacks by the Esper class as well. That was the class i wanted to roll for my main but will probably end up going Spellslinger/Stalker or warrior. Probably Stalker since we have so many tanks and healers.

I have heard espers have the best dps.. I feel like they will be sitting ducks with their crazy animations.

I have heard espers have the best dps.. I feel like they will be sitting ducks with their crazy animations.

Yeah totally agree. Their attacks are big, flashy and hurt while not moving. They are usually targeted first in PvP (first hand experience as an Esper)

Yeah totally agree. Their attacks are big, flashy and hurt while not moving. They are usually targeted first in PvP (first hand experience as an Esper)

You're also terrible in pvp, so I'm taking your words from pvp with a heavy dash of salt.

This coming weekend, I'm going to test that theory out with my level 6 Esper. We'll see how true it is when I start wrecking face.

They had to buff Esper so hard in CBT3. They did absolutely no damage at one point. Im glad they balanced it.

Well I play starting anywhere from 5PM to 12AM EST and I can go as late as 9AM.- so I guess that's 4-11 CST - 8AM

That is pretty late. Although I get the occasional bout of insomnia, so I'll play with you on those random nights /hug

Top Bottom