What's new

LIVE Pen and Paper New TableTop Campaign: Pathfinder or DnD 5th?

ToxicAsF

Over Analystical Extreme Gambler
Alright folks, I'm thinking of revitalizing our (digital) tabletop again! As such, I will offer to DM through our usual channel of roll20.

That said, I want a show of hands of those interested. On top of that, I need these requirements to be filled.

1. Web Camera
2. Comfortable actually role playing via mic
3. Able to meet a CONSISTENT weekly session on Sundays (preferably 4PM EST for 3-4 hours).

If you can (and will) meet these requirements, we could even get this going by 8/3 (IE: this week). The problem in the past has always been 1 person has to cancel, and we postpone, typically after people wait all day and deny other plans to do things so they can be available to play. After a month of this, no one has the motivation to continue. I do not want that to happen this time.

I'm thinking 4 or 5 players. I know Mr.Boston (DangerMouse/TedMosby) is willing to play. I also know Typhor and Exittus are game. So I'm looking for 2 more players,

I would also like for people to discuss here their preferences. Pathfinder? DnD 5th? Advanced classes or base? Start at level 1, or auto advance to 3 or 5? Heavy combat? Heavy RP? Puzzles will be included, so some forethought will be nice (but if your character wants to bull rush a dumb character, that's fine, just be prepared for the consequences).

I am always more partial to medieval than futuristic, so I'd like to keep it in a traditional "Tolkien" environment, so base classes/races are preferred, but exceptions can be made case by case.

Anyways, for those that have already said "I want to play", let me know what you guys think and we can organize general character creation and a roll20 setup. I like to keep characters private via PM's until launch, so we will get those conversations going. I'll pose some questions for all of you and that will get the initial setting ready.

So who else is in?!

You know im always up for it. But if there are newer players i dont mind sitting out.

You know im always up for it. But if there are newer players i dont mind sitting out.

I'm 100% ok with you being in it, especially since I'm already adjusted for west coast because of Typhor and Exittus. :) We'll see who else is interested and go from there.

Ouch ... but at least that way youre really forced to roleplay your weaknesses.

Ouch ... but at least that way youre really forced to roleplay your weaknesses.

Yeah. I want to make this campaign a little less min-max-y stat wise, and make it a bit more intuitive and clever with puzzles and communication/roleplaying. I think it'll be a lot more fun with the personalities we have.

I also think for simplicity, we should stick with pathfinder for this session as well. I don't think any of us have the time to be ready for a session this sunday while learning an entire new system (especially myself as DM...)

But next campaign will be 5th edition!

Wow so many questions!

Stats: I LOVE rolling, but I totally agree point-buy is balanced. Personally I'd say, if we auto-advance to 3-5, I'd want a point buy. If we start at lvl 1, I'd like to roll and see what I can get from the getgo.

Level: I'm partial to starting at level 1, because it helps me build a relationship with my character as we go and I can RP better. If we start at 3-5, I feel like they've had this whole life without me, and now I have to know the details of their past, theirs likes, dislikes, dreams, if they like long walks on the beach. That kinda stuff. With lvl 1, I can make it up as I go and you'd never know the difference!
That being said, it's not a hard line. I'll play either way, just tossing in my vote.

Always a fan of medieval, so no worries there.

DnD 5 or PF: I have most experience with pathfinder, I love it, I own all the rule books and gear books. But DnD is a similar concept and theres lots of information on line to learn as well. So yeah, 1 point for PF, but I'll definitely still play with DnD.

RP or Combat: I love both. I think it's best for there to be a balance. So...I guess no vote either way? I want to RP AND fight big boss guys. XD

Advanced classes: I'm not as familiar with DnD classes and stuff, but I like the advanced classes in PF, so I think either way, I'd vote for us to use them. (new PF advanced classes guide coming out in a few weeks, so excited!)

Aaaannnddd.....that's my two cents. I can't remember if there were any other questions, but yeah. I am SO pumped, I can't wait.

yay.

I'm partial to starting at level 1, because it helps me build a relationship with my character as we go and I can RP better.

I was thinking the same thing. I also know sometimes people get "bored" by always starting these campaigns at level 1 and it ends up falling apart by level 4, so I wanted to give the option for debate.

So yeah, 1 point for PF, but I'll definitely still play with DnD.

I think so I can stay sane this week, we'll stick to Pathfinder.

I like the advanced classes in PF, so I think either way, I'd vote for us to use them.

I think right now, I'll say anything in this list (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/classes.html) is acceptable. Anything beyond these that are on the PRD will be up for discussion between me and the player. Easier to justify with a solid backstory!

I was thinking the same thing. I also know sometimes people get "bored" by always starting these campaigns at level 1 and it ends up falling apart by level 4, so I wanted to give the option for debate.

I think so I can stay sane this week, we'll stick to Pathfinder.

I think right now, I'll say anything in this list (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/classes.html) is acceptable. Anything beyond these that are on the PRD will be up for discussion between me and the player. Easier to justify with a solid backstory!

okay cool, that works for me!

Im so down. I'm for rolling, as long as we don't start at 5 lol. and I'm probably mid way between rp and combat in interests.

Im totally okay for sitting out for Zorph if you want to keep it to 4 characters. Plus I've been in almost all of the other tab campaigns, i can stand to give someone else a turn. Or if you wanted to run with 5 im cool too unless theres anyone else who wanted to play.

Well right now the list is

Typhor
Exittus
Mr.Boston
Dainjre
Sweetloaf
Zorph

I'll have a hard time squeezing 6 in. I can do 5. Yeah, let's do 5 and we can continue if 1 person needs to miss a session (although I really really really prefer to not have anyone miss a sessions).

Sweetloaf, what's your work schedule like? I just want to ask to prepare for scheduling conflicts before we iron down a group composition.

I would love to start with Pathfinders as Exittus and I have our foundation in that, also we have all of the books and could jump right into it.

Point-buy system is what I would love.

We will buy webcams ASAP.

Tolkein-style fantasy is the way to go.

Level 3 is my preference as it allows for more choice right out the gate. Level 5 may be too high as I still gotta learn my class, and level 1 starts a bit too slow for my taste.

Exittus and I are ABSOLUTELY GAME for every sunday barring the VERY RARE occurrence of obligations such as birthday or death. We can have characters ready by this sunday and WILL be roleplaying the entire time. I have a history roleplaying my character so I will ready to go.

I will let you all know what class i go, but I recommend a pre-game meeting to go over details. =).

I also put up a subscription on roll20 to give us some ad-free gameplay (and some added tools). Only 5 bucks a month, but lets make sure we play as much as possible :)

Alright, I need some emails to invite to the roll20 campaign. You can PM them directly to me.

Exittus
Typhor
Zorph

and Sweetloaf, reassure me that you can make Sundays consistently.

Top Bottom