What's new

GW2 On 5 Signet Warriors

Curtech

You were indicted
What it is:
A 5 signet warrior build is one that fills the healing slot, the 3 utility slots, and the elite slot with signet skills.
JqNwIes.jpg

You combine that with the Major Trait from 10 points in Arms, "Deep Strike" to gain 200 precision.

ja0DMjH.jpg

What it is good for:
Leveling. A 5-signet build gives you some lazy passives so you don't have to worry about utilities. The precision at lower levels will give you absurd amounts of crit % which combined with Warriors' natural ease in leveling and soloing Open World PvE content makes for the easiest leveling experience in the game. You'll want to phase it out around level 60-70 as this is where the build starts to fall flat on its face, as we'll see.

What it is not good for:
Dungeons. And probably pretty bad for sPvP. And WvW. In other words, non-leveling/endgame stuff.

Why it is garbage at higher levels:
Plain and simply, you're sacrificing your healing skill and your 3 utility skills for something that is, ultimately, worthless. (I exclude the elite here since you'll want to have Signet of Rage slotted in the elite slot anyway. You just want to be constantly using it whenever it's off cooldown.)

Assuming a signet build will use Signet of Might and Signet of Precision, a signet build gives, in terms of damage output, 290 precision and 90 power. Since at level 80, 21 precision = 1% of crit chance, this gives us 13.8% crit chance at 90 extra power. That's, really...nothing compared to what other skills could be on your bars.
ZCXezsh.jpg

6bIiFPl.jpg

Why any other build is better:
Quick! Replace that signet of might and precision with For Great Justice!.

Right, so combined with Signet of Rage (which we should be using whenever it's off cooldown), FGJ! gives you what may as well be permanent fury (+20% crit chance)(this IS permafury with 10 points into Tactics) and a hefty sum of might stacks (between 3 and 11 depending on your traits and boon duration).

Edit: I realize now that it is only Permanent Fury if you're using the Signet Cooldown Reduction like I do. Even without it, and without 10 points in tactics for the boon duration, you still have an impressive uptime on fury.
Wpu3A8L.jpg

Even with just 10 points into Tactics (10% boon duration), FGJ! has a cooldown of 25 seconds and 3 stacks of Might under a duration of 27.5 seconds.
PPzg9Q1.jpg

Okay, so maybe you're not totally sold on that alone. But you also get your utilities to play around with (shouts? banners? swap in stability? or maybe signet of stamina or, if you're best race charr, hidden pistol for those tough fights?), allows you to choose your healing skill should you desire one of the other two, and frees up that major trait for something else. It lets you swap in the elite banner, should the situation demand it (though I suppose you could do that anyway.)

In fact the elite banner is a great thing to have on your bar for certain fights. Examples of this include: most fractal bosses, but especially Jade Maw (eh, why not?) and The Legendary Grawl Shaman (you definitely want it here, dead people here mean bad things), Giganticus Lupicus, and some others where a couple of deaths can snowball into trouble and it is hard to revive people. This is doubly important now that res-rushing has been removed.

Oh and also the fact that signets are an entirely selfish build and provide nothing for your team should you be doing say, a dungeon. "But my DPS is higher, that's providing something!" Yeah, well, banners and shouts can make your whole team's DPS higher across the board. Signet builds lack stun breakers and effective condition removal, as well.

So, if anyone out there happens to be using 5 signets, I encourage you to switch off. It's terribly easy to do. It doesn't require you to largely change the way you play, or even the weapon you use. At the very least you can just throw FGJ!, On My Mark!, and Shake it Off! on your bars. Just do it!

I agree 100% on the five signet build. It's aweful at endgame. If I was in a judgemental mood I'd saying something about noob signet warriors and their runes of divinity, but I'm not :p

I wouldn't dismiss the precision signet in a crit build, where every 'normal' hit is effectively a -50% damage debuff (min). Also Warbanner is often a superior choice to signet of rage - especially in hard boss battles in the fractals. Warbanner can save the group from wiping.

Hidden pistol is a Charr racial, not a warrior skill. I don't find it a very inspiring skill except on engineers (where the toolbelt skill makes it worth it).

Nice post BTW. I'd love to see more of these!

I agree 100% on the five signet build. It's aweful at endgame. If I was in a judgemental mood I'd saying something about noob signet warriors and their runes of divinity, but I'm not :p

I wouldn't dismiss the precision signet in a crit build, where every 'normal' hit is effectively a -50% damage debuff (min). Also Warbanner is often a superior choice to signet of rage - especially in hard boss battles in the fractals. Warbanner can save the group from wiping.

Hidden pistol is a Charr racial, not a warrior skill. I don't find it a very inspiring skill except on engineers (where the toolbelt skill makes it worth it).

Nice post BTW. I'd love to see more of these!
Agree 101%, btw the toolbelt for hidden pistol ROCKS!! /unload

To build on this, you guys should check out this spec. Its a shout/boon build so uses the exact skill set mentioned above.

Been using it for the last week or so (PvE exclusively, will be trying in WvW this weekend). Lots of utility and survivability with a moderate-high dps output. It's a basic knight/beserker shout-build, but has a decent ammount of support (great reviving speed which is crucial in PvE with the waypoint change now).

Click for Link

The author, Brand, has done a few in depth warrior builds. The above link will contain the build as well as a gear spreadsheet that are updated progressively.

Minor updates to the first post.

To supplement Drac's post, here are the two builds I've taken and adapted to my own playstyle in my history of warriorness:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/70934-supportive-warrior-builds-think-tank/

This covered, back when I found it, just shout healing and banner regeneration. It seems to have grown since then. These builds, I found, have generally low DPS but high survivability and allow for more error, allowing you to learn the fights instead of being down all the time. I recommend at least giving it a shot but you don't want to stick with it forever.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/75020-my-final-axemace-dps-dungeon-build/

This is a more advanced build, and I don't recommend it if you're just looking for something to switch to off of signets. It requires knowledge of most fights in the game, and for you to change your utilities around a lot for specific fights/encounters/etc. It is also a pure dungeon build. Shouts you can bring into WvW or adapt to use in sPvP, but this build is for pure PvE content. Note that although the topic says speed running, it doesn't necessarily have to be that. It combines the higher skill level of the player (you really have to know what/when to dodge/block, etc) with insane DPS and groupwide damage support. This build is pretty hard to switch to and off of, especially since it ultimately requires you to use lifesteal food and almost full berserker's gear to be effective (in most cases; I had a conversation about this with Dire last night. In places like Fractals, where you end up ranging a lot and most attacks just have to be avoided, MF food is superior for just money-making purposes.)

To build on this, you guys should check out this spec. Its a shout/boon build so uses the exact skill set mentioned above.

Been using it for the last week or so (PvE exclusively, will be trying in WvW this weekend). Lots of utility and survivability with a moderate-high dps output. It's a basic knight/beserker shout-build, but has a decent ammount of support (great reviving speed which is crucial in PvE with the waypoint change now).

Click for Link

The author, Brand, has done a few in depth warrior builds. The above link will contain the build as well as a gear spreadsheet that are updated progressively.
Sonic Boon!! that's the spec I'm leaning towards not that I'm about to hit 70

New poster here--thanks for the good read.

After hitting 40 on my warrior i've been doing a lot of dungeon runs to stave off boredom.I realized pretty quickly that my signet build wasn't helping much, so switched out might for FSJ, and the Adrenaline signet for the Precision Banner. I kept signet of rage, and doylak, for the stability during runs. Glad to know my thinking was headed in the right direction.

New poster here--thanks for the good read.

After hitting 40 on my warrior i've been doing a lot of dungeon runs to stave off boredom.I realized pretty quickly that my signet build wasn't helping much, so switched out might for FSJ, and the Adrenaline signet for the Precision Banner. I kept signet of rage, and doylak, for the stability during runs. Glad to know my thinking was headed in the right direction.
5 signets can be pretty functional to about 50. Have you thought about using Balanced Stance instead of the Dolyak Signet?

Both grant 6 stability, but Balanced is on a 40s cooldown (instead of 60s). The flipside is you lose the passive dmg reduction bonus. Depending on your spec though, it might be worthwhile (if your spec gets a bonus from having active/passive signets, then keep dolyak).

I guess I don't use stability that much during bosses (maybe a noob move?) so I should probably swap out to Balanced Stance for running through trash, and replace it altogether for fights. More research is required!

The only place I use stability (Balanced Stance) is in fractals. What drac said is pretty much spot-on. I don't think the passive damage reduction from dolyak is very useful but I haven't done any testing to see how much it reduces damage by.
Whether you use the stance or the signet, the duration is too short for the cooldown for it to be anything but reactionary.
I can tell you you won't need it against any boss in the following dungeons:

AC
CoF
CoE
Arah
Fractals

The problem with using it against bosses is that if they have a move that knocks you down/knocks you back (there aren't many of them, btw) you'd be better off learning the attack signal and dodging. Take for example Lupicus' shadow walk in phase 2. Why would you pop stability on it if he's going for you when you can just dodge? I prefer having Shake it Off! on my bar because it is on a much shorter cooldown (about half of the others), also removes a condition, and is a stun breaker. So if you get knocked down, it'll get you back up.

Experience is key. I change my utility slots very frequently and FGJ/Disc Banner/SIO is only what I run in the generic situation i.e. overworld PvE or something like CoF 1. To know when and what to change them to comes only from a lot of dungeon runs, which most people don't have time for. Really you can get away with leaving it all the same in like 90% of cases. I just prefer to be optimal per-encounter.

More reading: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/79162-warrior-utility-skill-guide-for-dungeons-and-fractals/

Just wondering for those reading this thread, is there anything warrior-specific you'd like to know more about? It's a very easy and popular class to play which means you really need to know your class and the content to stand out.

Keeping in mind that everything is situational, how often are you running with something like GS/Rifle or SB, and how/when are you switching those out?

I know I'm still low level, but I end up in some groups with bad tanking and find myself forced to switch to rifle and kite in certain groups.

I relied on myself to kite bosses almost 100% of the time in sub-80 dungeons. I found that it made me really appreciate the strengths and drawbacks (lol JK we don't have drawbacks) of the class. Throughout my playtime, I've switched between GS and Axe/Axe or Axe/Sword as my melee weapon set. and then a rifle/longbow as my ranged.

Generally speaking, I find my rifle to be much more useful. I love the cripple and knockback and the single target dps (ie, bosses since that's when you generally NEED to use ranged) was more important. At 80, I keep an exotic longbow on me as well, but this is more situational and mostly used for PVE farming (as it has lots of aoe).

Keep in mind that because GW2 lacks the "trinity" (tank/healer/dps) most groups won't have a proper tank and will rely on whoever is in heavy armor. Again, I'd say embrace that. Grab yourself a sword and board and don't be afraid to settle down and tank out a boss if you need to. Most of the time, as you mention, you can just kite/tank with a rifle, but it is fun to plant yourself in front of a baddie from time to time.

I have two axes, a mace, a shield, a warhorn, a longbow, and a rifle on me at all times. I wanna pick up a GS for completion's sake but I don't like the weapon much. Weapons are largely a personal preference. There's optimals, sure, but whatever. It's not like other classes where making the wrong weapon choice will screw you over.

I most frequently use Axe/Mace+Rifle. As with utilities, switching is feasible only with experience with the specific dungeon path. A melee DPS set + Ranged Weapon will get you basically everywhere you need to go. Also, when I DO switch out things, it tends to be in higher-endiergame content like Fractals or Arah. So don't worry about it too much.

With a LOT of practice you can even figure out which bosses or even entire paths can be done with two melee sets. Not recommended for new players :p

Just don't go MH Mace with OH Sword. No amount of anything can make that work out well.

Nope. Well, maybe...Weapons are easy enough. You shouldn't have to quickly swap out armor sets. Why do you ask?
I'm totally okay with this topic adapting to general new-questions for warriors, by the way. Though on a specific build the point was really to help improve. At least in PvE content. I'm a nub in pvp.

Well, once again my laziness is thwarted by having to do things...

I was asking about armor sets because as far as I understand it +toughness can generate aggro to some degree, and was thinking it might be good to switch from glass canon armor to something with more +toughness on it when swapping to sword and board. I definitely am having trouble not ascribing holy trinity terms to this game, which is amazing and frustrating all at once =D

Well, once again my laziness is thwarted by having to do things...

I was asking about armor sets because as far as I understand it +toughness can generate aggro to some degree, and was thinking it might be good to switch from glass canon armor to something with more +toughness on it when swapping to sword and board. I definitely am having trouble not ascribing holy trinity terms to this game, which is amazing and frustrating all at once =D

I thought toughness generated aggro too..

It does, that's what he's saying. When he switches weapon sets, he wants to switch to gear with a lot of toughness on it to a) obviously help reducing damage and b) generate more aggro.

Unfortunately this isn't possible. The only equipment you can switch in combat is the two weapon sets you have set up. There's no way to swap in other weapons, armor, trinkets, utilities, or even traits. You could supposedly switch out an armor set before fights but this is far different from, say, WoW, where for a tank an entire specialized set for specific fights could be needed.

A simple google search could've cleared that up for me I guess! Just spitballin a little. I imagine at some point I'll be rolling up a tanky guardian anyway.

Top Bottom