What's new

Organic VS Non Organic

How about your descendants in 100 years time, who get the choice of meat substitutes or pay say $100 for a burger? This is an important early milestone - the quality of the fake-meat will improve.[DOUBLEPOST=1375757575,1375757523][/DOUBLEPOST]
last i heard it still tastes like the bottom of a shoe.
Last *I* heard, it wasn't safe to be tested by humans - that's why this is exciting :)

The link you provided was the first real tasting of vat grown meat. They were vague about the taste only saying it was the most inconsistent part of the experience. The mouth feel and bite were very close to real cow grown burger.

Thanks, and apologies for the hijacking. We clearly all feel passionate about this.

No, not really. Who needs produce when we can live off of McDonald's and Taco Bell? JK, I guess I should be quiet to not get Tribune any more stirred up. Loving the passion though! =)
I used to be really passionate about health and nutrition too, damn I don't know what happened. lol

I guess I should be quiet to not get Tribune any more stirred up.

Sadly Tribune (and Belial) left the site during the middle of the initial discussion, so you don't have to worry about exacerbating things. I'm not particularly passionate about food and nutrition in general, but certain unsupported statements triggered my professional scientific outrage, and I felt the need to engage in discussion (I AM passionate about science)!

Sadly Tribune (and Belial) left the site during the middle of the initial discussion, so you don't have to worry about exacerbating things. I'm not particularly passionate about food and nutrition in general, but certain unsupported statements triggered my professional scientific outrage, and I felt the need to engage in discussion (I AM passionate about science)!

As in left the community all together? Man I don't even see how anyone could leave this place. It's so friggin awesome! =) Crazy talk!

edited to add... ahh, their last posts were in the faction discussion and wanting to roll Draken so assuming they left over disagreement there? That's sad to leave a community over something like that. Man roll an alt if you want to play a Draken that bad. So not worth it.

I thought about posting this, but decided not to in case it was distracting from Tristan's endeavour.
(EDIT:Thread has been moved.)

But since we're already here, organic doesn't mean pesticide free. It means using inferior pesticides that may well be MORE harmful than conventional ones (ALWAYS wash organic produce before eating, more so than regular produce, it may have had manure on it), as organic agriculture is based on bad science and a 100+ year old farming paradigm. They grow different varieties to cope with the lack of certain pesticides/fungicides, which may taste different. Organic production is typically much less efficient than regular production, but commands a higher market price.

I really feel like the title for this should be Organic or not to Organic, That is the Question! Anyone else feel the same about this?

I like meat and if it is healthy (good macronutrient profile) and not full of words that aren't <COW> or <LAMB> etc then I will eat it. I much prefer the -cheap- pricetag. Would be great if I could control the macronutrient profile, would make life so much easier

*inputs macros outputs food*

I really feel like the title for this should be Organic or not to Organic, That is the Question! Anyone else feel the same about this?
Well, the thread arose as a tangent originally, and has since evolved from a straight back-and-forth argument to a more open forum on the subject. Yes, the title is better, but we don't typically do retcons on forum topics either XD

I like meat and if it is healthy (good macronutrient profile) and not full of words that aren't <COW> or <LAMB> etc then I will eat it. I much prefer the -cheap- pricetag. Would be great if I could control the macronutrient profile, would make life so much easier

*inputs macros outputs food*

I have to wonder if this sort of lab-grown meat will lead to what are effectively 3D food printers. Add your cell stock to the mix and you can already print kidneys and bladders using a glorified inkjet printer. We EAT non-human kidneys. Might we soon be printing burgers, steaks, bacon, complete with adjustable layers of fat, nutrients, and anything else? There's some technological hurdles that may or may not be surpassed, but this is getting close to real-world Star Trek replicators.

I have to wonder if this sort of lab-grown meat will lead to what are effectively 3D food printers. Add your cell stock to the mix and you can already print kidneys and bladders using a glorified inkjet printer. We EAT non-human kidneys. Might we soon be printing burgers, steaks, bacon, complete with adjustable layers of fat, nutrients, and anything else? There's some technological hurdles that may or may not be surpassed, but this is getting close to real-world Star Trek replicators.

no thanks, I'm going to puke just thinking about it. It's bad enough just imagining what's in a McDonold's hamburger pattie or chicken nugget. I'd prefer real food as it naturally occurs. /gag

no thanks, I'm going to puke just thinking about it. It's bad enough just imagining what's in a McDonold's hamburger pattie or chicken nugget. I'd prefer real food as it naturally occurs. /gag
It's very lucky that we're alive now, when meat will be cheaply available for the vast majority of our lives then! Give it 50 years and things might start looking a little different...

It's very lucky that we're alive now, when meat will be cheaply available for the vast majority of our lives then! Give it 50 years and things might start looking a little different...

Oh yeah, I remember hearing a few years back that Nigeria's and a few others but especially their population is growing at such an alarming rate that they are on track to be the 2nd highest population in the world in the next 20-30 years and experts predict we could very well be in a world wide food shortage. Just comes down to not enough farm land to produce enough food. I wanna say the prediction was something around 2050 or so. I guess all we can try to do is work hard and try to setup up our kids to be in good shape. It'll make you sick if you start thinking too much about the crap their generation is going to have to face.

Top Bottom