What's new

Overwatch Overwatch Map Callouts

Simpwn

Praise the Sun!
A friend of mine pointed me to this article which has a very nice breakdown of the Overwatch maps, the time bonuses for completing certain checkpoints, and different map callouts that can be used to help coordinate your team. I'd extract that info and put it here but it's really well presented on their site.

Updated by your friendly admin:

Map Callouts For Overwatch And Their Importance (Part I)

by spOh on February 24, 2016
map-callouts-part1-banner.jpg

CONTENTS
Editor's Pick

Naming locations on maps has a been a necessity for optimal team communication since the rise of competitive first person shooter games like Counter-Strike, Unreal Tournament, and Quake. Hearing callouts of enemy movements by “DD” on Dust2 or an awper in “banana” on Inferno in Counter-Strike is common place not only in competitive play, but also on public servers. Many map callouts like these originated from teams in the upper echelons of competitive play at their respective games and eventually spread to the community at large.
cs-inferno-banana.jpg

Bananaception.
Map callouts mainly serve as a common language when communicating with other players on the team. Not only are they useful to call the locations of the opposing team, but also to help coordinate pushes on your own team. Good intelligence can be relayed to the team quickly and in a method that everyone understands to ultimately increase the chances of winning the match. While knowing the names of locations on maps is important, knowing what information to relay and how to communicate efficiently is equally important.
Overwatch is still very much in its infancy and as such, it hasn’t had the proper amount of time to really develop universally accepted map callouts and other such elements to gameplay on its own. Elements like these will help competitive players, casual players, shoutcasters, and those who have yet to get their hands on the game by being able to learn the layout and callouts of the various maps currently in Overwatch. This week will focus on payload and hybrid maps, with control point and king of the hill (KOTH) maps coming soon in a separate article. A link to download all the map packs in Part I will be included at the end the post.
Here are some helpful tips to using the following overviews, but map callouts in general as well:
  • The shorter name or less syllables a map callout has, will make the communication on your team more efficient, reducing the amount needed to relay important information. A good example would be abbreviating “apartments” to “aps”.
  • Buildings/areas with more than one level can be referred to upper/lower (i.e. “lower aps”)
  • Some of the callouts use the same name, sometimes even in the same map, to reduce the amount of terminology players are required to memorize.
  • “Pass” as named on some of the overviews, can be either called out as overpass or underpass, depending on what a player is trying to call out.
  • Medpacks are also included on the map and the color of the arrow will indicate the area that is located in.
dorado-banner.png

Starting Time: 5:00
Checkpoint #1: +3:00
Checkpoint #2: +2:00
Total Time: 10:00

hollywood-banner.png

Starting Time: 5:00
Capture Point: +3:00
Checkpoint: +2:00
Total Time: 10:00

AllMap Callouts (Hollywood)

kings-row-banner.png