What's new

People who don't listen

Keleynal

Jesus Freak
Why don't people listen instead of just waiting for their turn to talk? Especially people who supposedly make a living by listening to people and doing what they are asked to do. The drivethru attendant that puts onions on the sandwich you specifically requested onion-less. The "friend" that dumps all their problems on you, but refuses to listen to yours. The coworker doesn't pay attention to their work, giving you and everyone else twice as much crap to get through. The guy who is given 3 simple steps to fix his problem, then calls back 5 minutes later because doing the opposite of what you just said didn't work.

Are people just too self-absorbed? Do they think that their internal dialogue or what they have to say next is obviously more important than anything anyone happens to be saying at the time? Maybe it's laziness and listening just takes too much energy. Maybe if I beat them over the head with their own worthless attitudes it will perk them up a bit.

Stop the violence, people. Start listening.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Annyyyywaaayy...
The "friend" that dumps all their problems on you, but refuses to listen to yours..
Back on topic, this one particularly strikes a chord with me.. I seem to be the person that all my friends call to "vent" or whatnot. I guess I'm sort of a rage sponge, QQ absorber, etc.. I've been told that I'm a good listener, which I guess is why my friends call me or come over to get things off their chest, ask for advice, and so on.. to be fair, I guess this was more back in the college and just-out-of-college times.. but, I digress.. I was always more than happy to listen, console where necessary, maybe even attempt to offer some advice where appropriate. However, time and time again, when I went to that person with something to vent, something to get off my chest, they would almost immediately interject THEIR QQ, and that bothered me to no end.. I guess because I was honestly "being there for them" and was invested in trying to help them with whatever they needed to get through, or talk out, so it would drive me mad to have my personal attempt at the inverse of this process be shut down in a matter of seconds. Blargh! People need to listen more, cry less. Or, if you'll allow me to use a bumper-sticker example.... wag more, bark less. /end rant

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Annyyyywaaayy...

Back on topic, this one particularly strikes a chord with me.. I seem to be the person that all my friends call to "vent" or whatnot. I guess I'm sort of a rage sponge, QQ absorber, etc.. I've been told that I'm a good listener, which I guess is why my friends call me or come over to get things off their chest, ask for advice, and so on.. to be fair, I guess this was more back in the college and just-out-of-college times.. but, I digress.. I was always more than happy to listen, console where necessary, maybe even attempt to offer some advice where appropriate. However, time and time again, when I went to that person with something to vent, something to get off my chest, they would almost immediately interject THEIR QQ, and that bothered me to no end.. I guess because I was honestly "being there for them" and was invested in trying to help them with whatever they needed to get through, or talk out, so it would drive me mad to have my personal attempt at the inverse of this process be shut down in a matter of seconds. Blargh! People need to listen more, cry less. Or, if you'll allow me to use a bumper-sticker example.... wag more, bark less. /end rant

This has happened to me so many times that I finally just started shutting people out of my life. It constantly weighed me down trying to sort through others' problems- giving advice that they never take and then coming back to me for more advice when their own ideas fail. They would get mad at me when I'd run out of ideas, even though they wouldn't follow what I had told them in the first place! I finally decided that I had enough problems of my own and that I couldn't handle more. I tried to be friends with them without us going back to discuss the same problems, but it never worked. I mostly just screen my calls and texts now and ignore what I can't deal with. I know it makes me sound like a shitty person, but I've gone through this for years all the while dealing with an abusive relationship (which has been over for a while now, thankfully), my own illnesses, and my mother having two kinds of cancer.
I miss my old friends that were much more easy-going. :(

My original career choice was to be a therapist, since I was always considered a good listener and I really wanted to help people. But I've given that up now.. I don't think I'd be able to leave my work at work- I'd just worry all the time about my patients.

I just assume most people haven't learned how to control their own thoughts. Get out of themselves enough to really listen to others.

It's sort of a part of American culture to be self-absorbed.

Is there something in particular that set you off about this Kele?

Theres a book I have that goes into this in depth, its really great. Listening is part of good communication, and there are many different barriers to communication. I would suggest address them next time they do this and explain in a kind way that they are not being good communicators if they dont actually listen to whats being said even if they dont agree, instead of just thinking of their next remark after your done talking.

Theres a book I have that goes into this in depth, its really great. Listening is part of good communication, and there are many different barriers to communication. I would suggest address them next time they do this and explain in a kind way that they are not being good communicators if they dont actually listen to whats being said even if they dont agree, instead of just thinking of their next remark after your done talking.

ITS A TRAP!

I just assume most people haven't learned how to control their own thoughts. Get out of themselves enough to really listen to others.

It's sort of a part of American culture to be self-absorbed.

Is there something in particular that set you off about this Kele?

I don't think it's just American culture. I think it's part of human nature that we want to feel important, be doted on, made to feel special, etc.

When someone pours out their feelings or asks for advice they want the spot light to be on them. And in some instances it should be and there are legit reasons for wanting to talk to someone and get advice, vent, whatever. I've had plenty of good and bad experiences with this. Thankfully most of my friends are about as easy going as I am so we don't get a lot of the one sided "complaining" without allowing for the other person to reciprocate; however, I've definitely seen it happen where all someone wants to do is have the focus be on them and screw what you have to say about it.

It sucks when someone "comes to you for help" but all they really want is for you to make them feel like the world revolves around them. Those people don't actually want your help. They're like...an emotional vampire. Sucking all the good out of things and making everyone around them miserable!

It sucks when someone "comes to you for help" but all they really want is for you to make them feel like the world revolves around them. Those people don't actually want your help. They're like...an emotional vampire. Sucking all the good out of things and making everyone around them miserable!

Ahh yes women are annoying :)

Top Bottom