What's new

People working, or not working.

Otakebi

I have been in a really bad mood lately, due to my work. Peoples attitude in work has really been grinding at me. I slog my ass off to make sure I get everything done to the best of my ability. Then all I hear from some workers is "I can't be bothered" and "why you rushing?". In work I get stressed very easily, unless the job is complete I am not happy. I have been known to only be paid for 4 hours work, but work for 8. Then so many people in my job just walk round with a can't be bothered attitude, and take their time doing the task at hand. Then mug here has to not only do my part, but pick up the slack for them, and sometimes stay late. Why can't people understand it is not called work for no reason! You are there to earn money, even if you don't care for the place you work. You should always care about the money you earn, and they should realise their job is never safe. Also lately a senior has been trying to tell me how to do my job, whilst not saying anything to the slackers. I think this is what has made me mad the most.

Why do people believe they can do little, and still keep their job?..........

Why do people believe they can do little, and still keep their job?..........
Until actions have been done to prevent that way of thinking, I can not blame anyone for thinking that way. People always have, and always will do the least amount possible, if it is allowed for them to do so.

Today's world is lazy and unappreciative. It's as simple as that. Best thing you can do is keep plugging away and, hopefully, be rewarded for it at some time in the future. And you're a better person for it. That's a lot more special than you think.

Usually people do what they do because they have been getting away with it for so long. It really amazes me what incompetency is tolerated in the work force. Each job is different but it really seems like there are always a small portion of people that are your coworkers, make more than you, and are able to very little actual work.

I stopped worrying about other people's ineptitude and laziness a long time ago. Do I notice it? Yes. Do I care? No. Will I assist them if they're struggling? Only if they're putting forth a concerted effort to get their work done. In the meantime I just handle my shit and move onto the next thing. If something doesn't get done it's easy to track it back to the people that aren't doing what they're supposed to be doing. In the end it'll all come out in the wash, so the less amount of energy you put towards getting huffed up about what other people are doing and the more you're able to stay focused on your tasks, the happier you'll be. :)

You can't control other people, just your actions and attitude. If you don't feel your time and effort is paying off where you are spending it, then put it elsewhere. Whether that's another job, a 2nd job, or a hobby. I'm all for a good work ethic, but put your good work into stuff that actually pays you. If you are good at something, you deserve proper compensation, so go where you can get it.

As far as people telling you how to do your job, try to take any little nugget of truth from it you can and use it constructively. Some people are just really bad a giving positive, constructive criticism and more are even worse at taking it. Often, such criticism can reveal things about ourselves that we were unaware of. For example, I had a coworker that was always very sarcastic to me. I talked to them and found out that I sounded very stuck up and condescending to them, and that was their way of dealing with it. I was able to adjust my tone and communicate better. Others who found me condescending but didn't say anything hopefully noticed an improvement as well.

I agree with Sas, I wouldn't be pulling their deadweight along if that's what it was. I don't understand that mentality - if someone is struggling but are trying etc then definitely help out, but if they don't want to for being lazy or whatever then let their ship sink. My step mom is the same way and it pisses me off to no end when she complains about how much extra work she has to do because other people aren't doing theirs.

I agree with Sas, I wouldn't be pulling their deadweight along if that's what it was. I don't understand that mentality - if someone is struggling but are trying etc then definitely help out, but if they don't want to for being lazy or whatever then let their ship sink. My step mom is the same way and it pisses me off to no end when she complains about how much extra work she has to do because other people aren't doing theirs.

There's sometimes a fine line between just letting their ship sink and letting the whole company sink with them. Good supervisors can tell when stuff isn't happening as it should and make corrections, but bad ones can let the whole company implode. If a coworker's misbehavior is threatening your job by putting the whole company in jeopardy, it's not snitching to bring to a manager's attention.

Top Bottom