What's new

Personality Tests! Myers-Briggs Type Indicator

Milleuda

Mother Hen
mbti-picture.jpg

Somehow in the chat box today we got into personality types. I had to take these in business school in order to learn how to interact with different types of people. Aside from the practical application, I think it's just fun to learn more about yourself and others! Let's take the quiz and post the reply here!

Here is a link to the quiz, which gives you your 4-letter personality type at the end: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

Once you learn your type, you can go here to learn more about yourself: https://www.personalitypage.com/html/portraits.html

WARNING: The test is 64 questions long, but at the end you will find out what personality type you are! I have found that someone's mood may affect the results, so answer the questions as you would usually act (not how you would act today, for example, if you were in a bad mood).

Text source: http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/

***​
The purpose of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®) personality inventory is to make the theory of psychological types described by C. G. Jung understandable and useful in people's lives. The essence of the theory is that much seemingly random variation in the behavior is actually quite orderly and consistent, being due to basic differences in the ways individuals prefer to use their perception and judgment.
"Perception involves all the ways of becoming aware of things, people, happenings, or ideas. Judgment involves all the ways of coming to conclusions about what has been perceived. If people differ systematically in what they perceive and in how they reach conclusions, then it is only reasonable for them to differ correspondingly in their interests, reactions, values, motivations, and skills."
In developing the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator [instrument], the aim of Isabel Briggs Myers, and her mother, Katharine Briggs, was to make the insights of type theory accessible to individuals and groups. They addressed the two related goals in the developments and application of the MBTI instrument:
The identification of basic preferences of each of the four dichotomies specified or implicit in Jung's theory.
The identification and description of the 16 distinctive personality types that result from the interactions among the preferences."
Excerpted with permission from the MBTI® Manual: A Guide to the Development and Use of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator®
Favorite world: Do you prefer to focus on the outer world or on your own inner world? This is called Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I).
Information: Do you prefer to focus on the basic information you take in or do you prefer to interpret and add meaning? This is called Sensing (S) or Intuition (N).
Decisions: When making decisions, do you prefer to first look at logic and consistency or first look at the people and special circumstances? This is called Thinking (T) or Feeling (F).
Structure: In dealing with the outside world, do you prefer to get things decided or do you prefer to stay open to new information and options? This is called Judging (J) or Perceiving (P).
Your Personality Type: When you decide on your preference in each category, you have your own personality type, which can be expressed as a code with four letters.
The 16 personality types of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® instrument are listed here as they are often shown in what is called a "type table."
For a description of your MBTI type, place your cursor over the box containing your four-letter type code. You may also wish to browse through all of the 16 type descriptions.
If you do not know your MBTI type, you may wish to take the instrument.
Type tables can also be used to gather and facilitate analysis of information about teams or specific groups of people.
All types are equal: The goal of knowing about personality type is to understand and appreciate differences between people. As all types are equal, there is no best type.
The MBTI instrument sorts for preferences and does not measure trait, ability, or character. The MBTI tool is different from many other psychological instruments and also different from other personality tests.
The best reason to choose the MBTI instrument to discover your personality type is that hundreds of studies over the past 40 years have proven the instrument to be both valid and reliable. In other words, it measures what it says it does (validity) and produces the same results when given more than once (reliability). When you want an accurate profile of your personality type, ask if the instrument you plan to use has been validated.
The theory of psychological type was introduced in the 1920s by Carl G. Jung. The MBTI tool was developed in the 1940s by Isabel Briggs Myers and theoriginal research was done in the 1940s and '50s. This research is ongoing, providing users with updated and new information about psychological type and its applications. Millions of people worldwide have taken the Indicator each year since its first publication in 1962.

INFJ: Introvert(66%) iNtuitive(34%) Feeling(44%) Judging(56%)
  • You have distinct preference of Introversion over Extraversion (66%)
  • You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (34%)
  • You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (44%)
  • You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (56%)
Seek meaning and connection in ideas, relationships, and material possessions. Want to understand what motivates people and are insightful about others. Conscientious and committed to their firm values. Develop a clear vision about how best to serve the common good. Organized and decisive in implementing their vision.

Introvert(41%) iNtuitive(12%) Thinking(6%) Perceiving(7%)
  • You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (41%)
  • You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (12%)
  • You have slight preference of Thinking over Feeling (6%)
  • You have slight preference of Perceiving over Judging (7%)
INTPs are pensive, analytical folks. They may venture so deeply into thought as to seem detached, and often actually are oblivious to the world around them.

Precise about their descriptions, INTPs will often correct others (or be sorely tempted to) if the shade of meaning is a bit off. While annoying to the less concise, this fine discrimination ability gives INTPs so inclined a natural advantage as, for example, grammarians and linguists.

INTPs are relatively easy-going and amenable to almost anything until their principles are violated, about which they may become outspoken and inflexible. They prefer to return, however, to a reserved albeit benign ambiance, not wishing to make spectacles of themselves.

The Cheese Marshall is:

Extravert(47%) iNtuitive(41%) Thinking(16%) Judging(22%)
  • You have moderate preference of Extraversion over Introversion (47%)
  • You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (41%)
  • You have slight preference of Thinking over Feeling (16%)
  • You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%)
I have to say, the "Trademark" part of the description did make me chuckle:

TRADEMARK: -- "I'm really sorry you have to die." (I realize this is an overstatement. However, most Fs and other gentle souls usually chuckle knowingly at this description.)

INTJ
Introvert(12%) iNtuitive(28%) Thinking(41%) Judging(12%)
  • You have slight preference of Introversion over Extraversion (12%)
  • You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (28%)
  • You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (41%)
  • You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (12%)

Why are there so many duplicate questions?
Your actions are frequently influenced by your emotions & When making a decision, you rely more on your feelings than on analysis of the situation
are basically the same.
Anyway, here are my results:

Introvert(3%) iNtuitive(28%) Thinking(38%) Judging(9%)
  • You have marginal or no preference of Introversion over Extraversion (3%)
  • You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (28%)
  • You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (38%)
  • You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (9%)
Woah I've read through my type and especially:
INTJs know what they know, and perhaps still more importantly, they know what they don't know.
Anyone considered to be "slacking," including superiors, will lose their respect <-- this is why I left my old job.

Is a perfect description for me.

INFJ
Introvert(6%) iNtuitive(6%) Feeling(9%) Judging(1%)
  • You have slight preference of Introversion over Extraversion (6%)
  • You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (6%)
  • You have slight preference of Feeling over Thinking (9%)
  • You have marginal or no preference of Judging over Perceiving (1%)

I figured I'd be around there, or ISTJ.

INFJ
Introvert(6%) iNtuitive(6%) Feeling(9%) Judging(1%)
  • You have slight preference of Introversion over Extraversion (6%)
  • You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (6%)
  • You have slight preference of Feeling over Thinking (9%)

I figured I'd be around there, or ISTJ.
**gasp** a fellow INFJ!

We're the rarest personality type that makes up less than 1% of the population. We're special :)

**gasp** a fellow INFJ!

We're the rarest personality type that makes up less than 1% of the population. We're special :)

Whaaaaat! I've done little to no reading on it, but that's a somewhat neat statistic. But my %'s are so low, I'm sure with a couple different variations of scale my rating could land just about anywhere.

Whaaaaat! I've done little to no reading on it, but that's a somewhat neat statistic. But my %'s are so low, I'm sure with a couple different variations of scale my rating could land just about anywhere.
Yea I actually had to study each of these back in grad school. It was fun to learn each of the types and how to deal with them.

And yes, you are on the border for all dimensions, which means you are more of a mix than a strong INFJ. If you compare our percentages for each of the dimensions, mine are much more pronounced.

Extravert(44%) Sensing(6%) Feeling(34%) Judging(1%)
  • You have moderate preference of Extraversion over Introversion (44%)
  • You have slight preference of Sensing over Intuition (6%)
  • You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (34%)

Guardians of birthdays, holidays and celebrations, ESFJs are generous entertainers. They enjoy and joyfully observe traditions and are liberal in giving, especially where custom prescribes.
All else being equal, ESFJs enjoy being in charge. They see problems clearly and delegate easily, work hard and play with zest. ESFJs, as do most SJs, bear strong allegiance to rights of seniority. They willingly provide service (which embodies life's meaning) and expect the same from others.

ESFJs are easily wounded. And when wounded, their emotions will not be contained. They by nature "wear their hearts on their sleeves," often exuding warmth and bonhomie, but not infrequently boiling over with the vexation of their souls. Some ESFJs channel these vibrant emotions into moving dramatic performances on stage and screen.

Strong, contradictory forces consume the ESFJ. Their sense of right and wrong wrestles with an overwhelming rescuing, 'mothering' drive. This sometimes results in swift, immediate action taken upon a transgressor, followed by stern reprimand; ultimately, however, the prodigal is wrested from the gallows of their folly, just as the noose tightens and all hope is lost, by the very executioner!

An ESFJ at odds with self is a remarkable sight. When a decision must be made, especially one involving the risk of conflict (abhorrent to ESFJs), there ensues an in-house wrestling match between the aforementioned black-and-white Values and the Nemesis of Discord. The contender pits self against self, once firmly deciding with the Right, then switching to Prudence to forestall hostilities, countered by unswerving Values, ad exhaustium, winner take all.

As caretakers, ESFJs sense danger all around--germs within, the elements without, unscrupulous malefactors, insidious character flaws. The world is a dangerous place, not to be trusted. Not that the ESFJ is paranoid; 'hyper-vigilant' would be more precise. And thus they serve excellently as protectors, outstanding in fields such as medical care and elementary education.

Apparently this is what came up for me lol.

Yea I actually had to study each of these back in grad school. It was fun to learn each of the types and how to deal with them.

And yes, you are on the border for all dimensions, which means you are more of a mix than a strong INFJ. If you compare our percentages for each of the dimensions, mine are much more pronounced.

So what you're saying is, you're more special than I am?! HOW DARE YOU.

But yeah, I had to do this for my Psych classes, and again for my business classes. It's kinda funny how I've done it so many times and can never really remember where I land. It's probably changed over the years and keeps me in the borderline areas, only to really be swayed by current moods.

INTJ
Introvert(44%) iNtuitive(12%) Thinking(9%) Judging(9%)
You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (44%)
You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (12%)
You have slight preference of Thinking over Feeling (9%)
You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (9%)

I almost always get INTJ on these. I always get the I and the T, but sometimes the N or (very rarely) the J changes. My T is very low on this particular test, its usually way higher.

To outsiders, INTJs may appear to project an aura of "definiteness", of self-confidence. This self-confidence, sometimes mistaken for simple arrogance by the less decisive, is actually of a very specific rather than a general nature; its source lies in the specialized knowledge systems that most INTJs start building at an early age.

This has actually happened to me more than once. People have thought I was arrogant, then later realized I was just expressing that I absolutely knew what I was talking about in that specific area.

INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "Does it work?" to everything from their own research efforts to the prevailing social norms.

this is me 100%

INTJs are known as the "Systems Builders" of the types, perhaps in part because they possess the unusual trait combination of imagination and reliability. Whatever system an INTJ happens to be working on is for them the equivalent of a moral cause to an INFJ; both perfectionism and disregard for authority may come into play, as INTJs can be unsparing of both themselves and the others on the project. Anyone considered to be "slacking," including superiors, will lose their respect -- and will generally be made aware of this; INTJs have also been known to take it upon themselves to implement critical decisions without consulting their supervisors or co-workers. On the other hand, they do tend to be scrupulous and even-handed about recognizing the individual contributions that have gone into a project, and have a gift for seizing opportunities which others might not even notice.

Yep.

Personal relationships, particularly romantic ones, can be the INTJ's Achilles heel. While they are capable of caring deeply for others (usually a select few), and are willing to spend a great deal of time and effort on a relationship, the knowledge and self-confidence that make them so successful in other areas can suddenly abandon or mislead them in interpersonal situations.

This happens in part because many INTJs do not readily grasp the social rituals; for instance, they tend to have little patience and less understanding of such things as small talk and flirtation (which most types consider half the fun of a relationship). To complicate matters, INTJs are usually extremely private people, and can often be naturally impassive as well, which makes them easy to misread and misunderstand. Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense. :) This sometimes results in a peculiar naivete', paralleling that of many Fs -- only instead of expecting inexhaustible affection and empathy from a romantic relationship, the INTJ will expect inexhaustible reasonability and directness.

This is pretty close to the mark with me.

I almost always get INTJ on these. I always get the I and the T, but sometimes the N or (very rarely) the J changes. My T is very low on this particular test, its usually way higher.

I was thinking that myself that I'm typically skewed the other way a bit more.

Ooh, this is a loaded question. Reminds me of the AMA's <3

I'm no expert, but in grad school we did spend a few weeks just looking at personality typing from a business/management perspective. Thus, the main application for me relies on my ability to use this information in order to influence and work with different people. Once you understand the different personality types, you start to notice how others are similar or different from you, and then it helps to improve how you communicate and work with others.

The 16 personality types are just a framework to describe patterns of behavior, but there is duality in everything. The four letters correspond to four different areas: where someone draws their energy (extroversion or introversion), how they gather information (sensing or intuition), how they make decisions (thinking or feeling), and how people structure their "outer" world (judging or perceiving). The goal of finding your "personality type" is to figure out your preferences in each of these, but recognizing there is duality. Here's a nice table:

MBTIPreferences.gif
Let's take the first dimension: the energy source. If you know that you are talking to a person who draws energy from "extroversion", these people enjoy interacting with others, fast-paced environments, and develop ideas from discussion. Someone who draws energy from "introversion," on the other hand, prefers quiet environments to concentrate, develops ideas internally, and likes to work alone with minimal interruption. For me, a real life application of this would be a staff meeting: there are parts of the meeting where I may hand out information for people to read and process (for my introverts), and then there are times when we role play scenarios as a group and discuss outcomes for process improvement (for my extroverts). Everyone has duality in that "introverts" can participate in the group exercises and still learn information, and my "extroverts" can still read and process the information. It's like writing with your dominant hand vs. your non-dominant hand. You can write with both, but one way comes easier than the other.​
This can be applied to other things in business/management/life:​
  • Understanding yourself and others. Knowing that I am an INFJ has helped me to better manage my personal strengths and potential weaknesses​
  • Adapt communication to your audience. I may structure meetings or presentations differently depending on my audience​
  • Understand how to lead people through change. People who are "sensing" rely on information and data, whereas people who have "intuition" are able to form abstract ideas. If I want to implement a change, I have to provide concrete data for my sensing types and then paint the picture of what the future looks like for my intuitive types​
  • Helps teams work together: knowing the strengths and weaknesses of everyone helps me figure out where to place people on projects to excel.​
There is probably a lot more to it than this, but since I don't have a psychology background, everything I know comes from what I learned in grad school, whatever I researched on my own, and my experiences on the job. Most people know this stuff already in some shape or form, but the MBTI kind of packages it all together in a systematic way to help you organize your thoughts around the different personalities that exist in the world.

I briefly dated a girl who made me take this test. I assume it's accurate because I received the same thing both times.

INTP
Introvert(72%) iNtuitive(47%) Thinking(62%) Perceiving(43%)
You have distinct preference of Introversion over Extraversion (72%)
You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (47%)
You have distinct preference of Thinking over Feeling (62%)
You have moderate preference of Perceiving over Judging (43%)

INTPs value knowledge above all else.
Hey, vindication for my Pythagoras tattoo! Knowledge is power!

If the INTP doesn't realize the value of attending to other people's feelings, he or she may become overly critical and sarcastic with others. If the INTP is not able to find a place for themself which supports the use of their strongest abilities, they may become generally negative and cynical.

Jeeze, I didn't look into this before because I thought it was bogus but this is the exact criticism my ex left me with. Oops.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I'm ENFP, but not too far from the center on anything:

Your Type Preferences

Extravert(38%) iNtuitive(19%) Feeling(19%) Perceiving(16%)

Am I the only extrovert here?

Top Bottom