What's new

Pity Party for the Homeless

Ultra CHEZ

It's better with cheddar!
Warning: The following contains a wall of text, the subject of which is very personal and a bit melodramatic.

For those of you who do not know, I'm one of the only sub-18 members of Arcanix. As such, I still rely on my parents for shelter. They've done a good job of providing various structures that protect me from the elements, but not such a good job of creating a sense of home. My parents have been divorced since I was five years old, and I've split my time 50/50 with each. The two have very different viewpoints on dependence, which has led to some interesting living arrangements. Let me explain a bit.

My dad is very independent. He will avoid having to rely on anyone if at all possible. That is why after the divorce, he found living with his mom so difficult. Also, my grandma is a bit of a hoarder, so the room we stayed in was a bit packed. Still, I was young and when my dad finally got his own apartment things seemed pretty good. Around 2006 though, things started to sour. My dad, a carpenter, was one of the first to feel the effects of the recession. We moved into a smaller apartment, but by 2007 we couldn't even afford that. The first few months were the worst. Before giving back the key to the apartment, my dad made a copy so we could sneak in and out late at night and early in the morning. We basically squatted in our own apartment for two weeks, sleeping on the barren floor with sleeping bags at night and living out of a storage unit during the day. Realizing we couldn't illegally spend the nights in our old apartment forever, my dad made other arrangements. This is why my dad, my little sister, and I soon found ourselves sleeping at a local campground every night. After the first few nights, the novelty wore off. My dad got enough work and earned us enough money to start staying in cheap motels every night when my sister and I were with him. We started out in some real sleazy places, with some... interesting people in the rooms next to ours. Eventually we found a decent Motel 6 where the rooms were fairly clean and relatively cheap. We sometimes could only afford to eat off the dollar menus of fast food joints, but it beat sleeping in a tent every night. From the end of 6th grade to the beginning of High School I spent my time with my dad in that motel. Around the start of my freshmen year, my dad moved back in with his mom, and I and my sister with him (for half the time at least). Unfortunately, my grandma had in this time accumulated more stuff, so we no longer had a room to stay in (I've slept on the couch ever since). Making matters worse, tensions grew between my dad and grandma, then my dad and sister. As of now my sister lives with my mom and my dad and grandma don't exist. It's gotten so bad that it's essentially sent a schism down the middle of my family, with myself left as (and I'm not exaggerating this) the only person to have positive relationships with everyone else in the family. Oh yeah, I don't have internet at my grandma's either, and the tension won't allow me to get any anytime soon. So that's great.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, my mom has always been dependent on someone else. Following the divorce she moved in with a couple she was friends with. One of them became increasingly addicted to meth which eventually led to a termination of that friend's marriage, and her friendship with my mom. After that, my mom moved to El Paso, Texas where her parents lived. Since my mom worked for an airline, my sister and I could fly back and forth between there and San Jose, sometimes on school nights. A year later, after a falling out with my grandparents, she moved back to an apartment in San Jose. It was in a crummy neighborhood, but overall not too bad. The next 8 years involved us moving around, usually to wherever her boyfriend at the time lived. Sometimes it was just down the street, sometimes it was as far away as across the state. One particular boyfriend, who lived in Minnesota, got my mom pregnant with my now 10 year old half sister (whom was probably the best thing to come out of the situation). Ironically, that boyfriend was one of the only ones my mom never moved to be with, which created another custody front to be fought by my mom. Anyhow, my mom's current boyfriend is probably the best of any of them. She's been with him the longest (5 years), at least. He's hard working, despite being an alcoholic, and he and my mom are buying a house together in a town 30 minutes away from our current one. The thing is though, my mom is blinded by the fact that she's finally going to own a home. The place she purchasing is a bit of a shit hole, and is going to cost quite a bit to renovate. It's also only a 3 bedroom (1 less than the current house we rent), so she's basically disregarding me because both my sister's get their own rooms. But fine, I'm going off to college in less than a year, I get it.

So what triggered this way too long and way too personal rant? A rather small thing, actually. You see, for the past month my grandparents (my mom's parents, that is), came to stay with us for the holidays. They also stayed to help my mom purchase the new house. They, like anyone who stays with my mom, got my room while they were here. I love my grandparents, and am happy to give up my room for them, but I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't excited when they left this morning and I knew I could come back from my dad's and enjoy my room. But that's just it, I din't get to enjoy it. I got home this evening from a long day of school, and extracurriculars, and general shit, looking forward to one, just ONE, night of relaxation before we move, only to find my mom's house half packed already. My room, my sanctuary, was no exception. Half of the furniture was gone, with the belongings that were on that furniture scattered about. The only thing left alone was my computer and desk, because I had specifically ordered no one to touch it, as I would handle it myself (I worked all summer to save up the $2,000 I spent on my rig, I want SOME control over what happens to it).

So that was the last straw so to speak. My parents wonder why I always refer to their respective houses or places of residence or whatever to "your house;" why I always let my friends know if I'm going to be at my "mom's house" or "dad's house" so that they know what I can or cannot do (no computer games at dad's, for instance); and why I feel more comfortable sleeping on a couch or on a floor than in a bed. I've never had a home. I've never had a place where I know things are safe and stable. The only way I'm ever going to get that is myself, through my own hard work. If my parents offer help, such as managing to find some way to help me pay for college, I'll take it. I love them and hold nothing against them, but when it comes down to it I'm going to have to gain a home in the same way I've gained anything else important in my life: on my own.

Well, I suppose that isn't true. Not completely. I feel a little ashamed for sharing all this with you guys, but I think the fact that I am shows just how much Arcanix and AltTabMe mean to me. Video games, books, and other forms of escape are the only places where I've felt at home, and this community is the first place where I truly feel accepted for that. I have to reel in the nerdiness at school, with certain groups of friends, etc., but here I can openly discuss the things I care about. I can make silly parodies of Christmas stories or discuss the newest MMO on the market without feeling embarrassed because I'm not out playing sports, or getting perfect grades, or dressing stylishly (not that I have anything against those 3, they're just low priority for me).

I want to finish high school close to my campus. As such I'll be living with my dad almost all the time. I don't know much time I'll have over the coming months to play games and hang out with you guys, but I'll be able to lurk around the forums. No matter what, I really appreciate you guys and the sense of home you create for a kid like me. Thanks.

Pretty damn amazing man. The fact that you came through this with your head held high speaks volumes for what you will be able to do with your life. Just stick it out and get to college and you will be in a whole different world. Taking care of yourself is amazingly hard, but so worth it. Incredible man, just incredible.

Chez, your disposition, despite what you have experienced, is amazing. You have a great heart to still love your parents despite all the (excuse my french) bull shit. I am frustrated for you only because you deserve your own room! Everyone needs a sanctuary. But I really admire your tenacity and drive to make it on your own as well. You most certainly will!

This community is wonderful, accepting, supportive, a real online family. You are right... we can all feel at home here, and that connection is a great comfort when it seems the rest of the world is just, well, not so great.

Focus on what you need to be happy & safe. Sometimes it is just helpful to vent about our situations, not really expecting any type of response other than a caring ear.

Hugs, and hang in there. :)

I don't know what to say and I don't know you all that well, but I wanted to let you know I took the time to read. I really hope things work out for you, I've had hard times myself and even though it's a completely different situation I can feel for you. Life can really suck, but if you stick it out and do what you can to help yourself, you'll make it through to better times!

Thank you for sharing this with us. It is amazing what a group of good people can do for us, as a whole.
I am very sorry to hear of the instability in your life, but I will say I am very proud of you for not following down the same path. It seems as though you've got a great head on your shoulders and understand the dynamics of this life you have been dealt and are going to do the best you can do. And that says a lot.
If it's any consolation, my GF had a really hard time growing up, too (sort of like you, but different) and turned out to be probably the best person I have ever met. She is successful, hard working, intelligent and a very caring and understanding person. So, there is light and you see it.
Keep your head up. We will be here when you come back.

*big e-hugs* It's really hard feeling like you can't rely on anyone but yourself and having nowhere to just relax for a while. I hope things turn around for you- I truly think you deserve it.

Your thread is mistitled- that wasn't a pity party at all. It was a very mature and honest look at your past and current situation. It's unfortunate that you've had to go through hardships to gain your maturity, but in hindsight, I think it will be to your benefit.

It's also to your credit that you are able to deal with all these pressures without going completely off the deep end. Many in these types of situations turn to alcohol, drugs, sex, and other destructive habits. I'm sure you've made your share of mistakes, but the fact is that you haven't fallen into despair and self-pity. You are surviving and doing the best you can with what you have. If everyone did that, it would be more than enough.

My parents got divorced when I was in first grade. My dad had an affair with a woman he worked with and moved out. I'd never felt so abandoned and confused as the night he told me he was going away. I didn't blame myself, and I didn't get angry with him. I was just... sad I guess. At first he was close and I saw him every weekend. Then he moved 2 states away and I started seeing him only a couple times a year. Luckily for me and my sisters, there was no long, bloody custody battle. Or at least, none that played out in front of us. But this also added to my insecurity- didn't my dad want me? Why didn't he fight for me?

Now it's about 20 years later, and I have a family of my own. I've promised myself, my wife, and my kids that I will never make the mistakes of my father, but there is always an insecurity, irrational as it may be, in the back of my mind that I am somehow doomed to repeat. I fight that every day by being the best father and husband that I possibly can. My dad may not have been the best role model in the world, but he still showed me what it takes to be a father, albeit through vacuum.

Anyway, I'm not trying to make this about me. I just want you to know that you aren't alone. Broken families may never heal completely, but you have an opportunity to take control of your own life and do amazing, wonderful things with it. If you ever feel like you're trapped in a bad situation or stage of life, just remember what the wise man who swallowed the golf ball said: "This too shall pass."

A "Kid like me" I think would be the understatement of the current decade.

You my friend are such a strong individual. I would have NEVER guessed this in a million years as your current situation.

I too have the broken family via divorce and different worldy views. Mind you mine has not been one of need, which from my point of view, makes me question the choices made at times. We often lived and were treated as goodwill by our parents, when we knew good and well that the money that was there was being spent on bad investments and choices. My parents and I get a long but sometimes not for extended periods of time.

What I am trying to say is that I totally get you, in a weird disconnected way. One house is white and the other is black in terms of what can be said, how it makes you feel, and what you walk away from it with. While one could say both are comfortable, normal suburban life models, I often wonder WHY when you take away the "Need" the drama occurs from the mental. The mental games, the disapproval of things that just don't need to be an issue, and trivial matters being enhanced.

I am so happy you have found a comfortable place here. It makes my heart warm. I cannot offer more than just myself and my means, as I have been very much independent from my parents and their "households" since I left for college. I always need to unpack and decorate an apartment within minutes of moving into it, because in the back of my head, I always picture me having to move again. I always picture myself with a suitcase. Traveling is hard because putting my life into a bag is a constant reminder of the movement between "Mom's and Dad's" house.

Holding onto a lamp pulling it from the wall when I was supposed to go to Dad's because Mom said he was bad, then getting to Dad's and being scared and upset about him leaving her but knowing if I came out from under the table I could play a video game he got me to pacify the anger.

Mind you all my experiences have led to me being me and I have patched up my relationships with my parents and love them dearly. But the mental games are still there, the differences in households are still there, the feeling of being a helpless 12 year old is still there. I rebelled so hard at 14 I moved out of my mothers and into my dads. They destroyed my computer, gave me a list of rules 25 pages think I had to sign as a contract, and still I didn't care. I pushed them so hard, I am surprised that they are still there for me as well. Add that to the constant need for popularity in school and NOT HAVING IT, being called named, gay, fag, dork, geek, hated... I had very little places to run, until I finally found new people and then they would eventually catch on that I was not Ghetto or fitting in and I actually was a loving person who had life ambition. I didn't want to sit in a parking lot and fight and get drunk.

And the rambling must end now...

Anyway my trivial shit while being a child growing up aside...

You are an amazing person. This story makes me want to be able to come there and hug you, give you a billion dollars, and then just let you become one of the next great minds of this country. You are strong and aware. And never let anyone take that from you. You really can achieve what you want in this world with passion like yours, as trite as that might sound.

You guys are the best. I had some reservations about sharing this as soon as I clicked the "Create Thread" button, but they weren't justified in the least. I was feeling very emotional at the time and felt that I needed somewhere, anywhere to let that out or else it would consume me from the inside. I definitely made the correct decision in posting it here. You guys are the most selfless, supportive group of people and I feel really privileged for being part of such a great community. If there's anything I can ever do for you guys (within my limited power), don't hesitate to ask.

Chez, I think you're doing lots for us. By just being you, sharing yourself, it makes all of us feel safer here in this community. You are helping to re-imagine a gaming community. We aren't just a bunch of fat slobs living in our parent's basements and listening to Britney Spears while watching South Park and Star Trek.

We are full blown people from all walks of life, learning and living each day. And we are learning from and about each other. The more this type of thing is shared (as an organic thing, of course, not just because) the more we work at building up this community that will (and for some, does) feel like family, even though it's through a game or a forum or whatever.

You're doing what you do and it is awesome.

Chez, I think you're doing lots for us. By just being you, sharing yourself, it makes all of us feel safer here in this community. You are helping to re-imagine a gaming community. We aren't just a bunch of fat slobs living in our parent's basements and listening to Britney Spears while watching South Park and Star Trek.

We are full blown people from all walks of life, learning and living each day. And we are learning from and about each other. The more this type of thing is shared (as an organic thing, of course, not just because) the more we work at building up this community that will (and for some, does) feel like family, even though it's through a game or a forum or whatever.

You're doing what you do and it is awesome.

Let's not jump to conclusions, he might be able to hook me up with tickets to space one day. And if that day comes, I am cashin in!

We aren't just a bunch of fat slobs living in our parent's basements and listening to Britney Spears while watching South Park and Star Trek.
I'm not quite sure if this is a compliment or not. And who listens to Britney Spears anymore? Taylor Swift is where it's at.

Top Bottom