What's new

GW2 Random thief chatter

Corvus Rex

:O a fellow thief!!! your from the podcast? I think were all alone...i haven't seen many thieves on the forums

Greetings! Yeah I was on there. Not everyone has what it takes to be a thief I guess lol. Unless anyone else switches or someone new joins I think its just going to be you and me at launch.

Greetings! Yeah I was on there. Not everyone has what it takes to be a thief I guess lol. Unless anyone else switches or someone knew joins I think its just going to be you and me at launch.

lol yeah...we'll have to share builds and strategies...a lot of people are abandoning the thief after the nerfs to them....however, we shall rain supreme!!!

I really like thief. The only thing that is keeping me from playing one is the ability que mechanics interact much more damagingly with thief than other classes :(

Yeah, thief doesn't really look like a powerhouse right now but I'm confident that any deficiencies will be fixed down the road. Right now I'm just attracted to the style of combat. Until they get buffed/rebalanced/etc. I'll just rely on my deafening awesomeness to get by. :p

Dude, thieves are spike damage monsters. I've seen a couple of really good players that went in, dropped and finished 2-3 players in about 30 seconds without taking hardly any damage. It's insane mobility when someone traits for movement and endurance - so many dodges/speed buffs it makes my guardian cry. :eek:

Dude, thieves are spike damage monsters. I've seen a couple of really good players that went in, dropped and finished 2-3 players in about 30 seconds without taking hardly any damage. It's insane mobility when someone traits for movement and endurance - so many dodges/speed buffs it makes my guardian cry. :eek:

They are VERY spiky when used effectively.

Yeah that's why I'm wondering why there's such an exodus on the forums- I'm still seeing good videos and builds.

you can still go glass cannon and be good...you just have to know when to pick your fights...and how to dodge roll....and know that you are probably going to die a lot

you can still go glass cannon and be good...you just have to know when to pick your fights...and how to dodge roll....and know that you are probably going to die a lot
Glass cannon builds are great for combo play. You can't effectively play a glass cannon build in this game and not get rocked 1v1 all the time. The dodge mechanic really plays into a long term / sustained damage and interrupt builds than glass cannon (since they can effectively mitigate your burst with well timed dodge). BUT, playing a glass cannon build WITH a sustained damage or condition build of any profession will prove the thieves glass cannon builds to be SUPER effective. As long as you can always keep your opponents concentration off of you, glass cannons will always be effective.

If you're going to play a glass cannon build, find a partner.

The only problem I find with the thief is that there's a lot of overlap between competencies of the thief and other professions. If I wanted a burst dps I'll take a warrior that has better utilities for endurance and lockdown. If I wanted ranged dps I'll roll a tanky BM build with longbow or a burst ele spec. If I want cond dmg I'll roll a warrior or necro focusing on bleeds (sure you can run cond dmg d/d on thief but you're insanely squishy compared to a warrior that can effectively do the same, at ranged or melee w/ more armor). If I want interrupts I'll take a mesmer or a guardian. Dazes? Mesmers. Stealth? Mesmers. Someone to stall points without being in down state? Necro, guardian, engineer, eles. I just find that thieves are in a bad spot right now because I don't really see the point of taking a thief over anyone else at this point. Maybe this'll change in bwe3 but from what I've seen in bwe2 and from what I've played, I just dont feel like they are up to that point where teams will start saying, we NEED a thief in the party. It's almost like placing katarina in LoL on a team. It's doable, but whats the point if there are better choices?

Hmm... This is making me want to research the thief more. I have had zero interest in the class but I want to really explore what their options are for class niche and diversity. Maybe there is something we are overlooking.

i'd recommend the thief to anyone. At first is kind of "meh", but after unlocking some skills and combos is a nice class.

I'm not really sure that the dodge mechanic neutralizes glass cannon builds quite that effectively. First, the thief has access to some abilities that induce immobilization which prevents dodging and second, your opponent has to use it effectively. Against a highly skilled opponent you probably won't be able to bypass dodging reliably, but then again against a highly skilled opponent any build isn't going to be executed optimally.

As for overlapping competencies, that's kind of the name of the game in GW2. Certain professions might be easier to grasp in a particular role for some, while harder for others. For example when I played warrior I personally found that I had an easier time surviving as thief and felt that I had more options for hampering my opponents as well. Having played mesmer I'd agree with you in the dazing department but I personally enjoyed the thief stealth mechanics more and found them to be more beneficial in combat in general. When it comes to stalling points I'd put the thief's myriad traps up there with the abilities of the professions you mentioned.

It really just boils down to personal taste.

I played the thief pretty extensively in bw2. Overall the survivability is excellent, you have tons of stealths, and great mobility. The damage also seems pretty solid. That said what I dislike is that the ability que can mess you up if you double tap a key really badly. Other classes also have the ability que to deal with, but since their skills are cooldown limited the skill only fires one time, as opposed to multiple times. This is a problem for me since I spam keys pretty hard, and trying to limit myself to precisely one key press is difficult. My other issue is that I sometimes fell off of structures due to a the repositioning nature of some of the dagger dagger skills, ie; when you leaping death blossom someone you jump behind them... and if you aren't careful fall off the ledge. Finally, I feel like the other classes have an advantage in the weapon swap department; when they switch weapons they have an entirely fresh bar of skills to use, the thief though doesnt automatically get a full initiative bar when swapping, so they cant use all of the skills on the other weapon bar.

Overall I think it's going to end up being a pretty niche class with super high skillcap that really demands alot of precision from the player. Not necessarily a bad thing, just something to consider.

Top Bottom