What's new

Shanara TV show, or how my childhood was ruined...

TIG

I like GOOOOOLLLLD!
The Elfstones of Shanara was one of the first book series I ever read that REALLY got me into reading. From that series I developed a life long passion for reading science fiction and especially fantasy books. That lead to me getting into fantasy based games like WoW or GW2, without which you wouldn't see me here on this site. To this day I still read tons of fiction, mostly in the fantasy or sci-fi genre.

MTv is now making a series of my beloved Shanara books and I can not be more dissapointed. I should be happy. The special effects look good, the actors are not crap actors, the author is behind the process.

I just can't help be disappointed because the vision they have is not what my imagination brought about when I first read the original trilogy. I had my own idea of what it was and this show will totally ruin it, even if it is more true to the vision that Terry Brooks (the author) wanted.

anyway, here is the trailer. for those of you who love fantasy, I recommend you check it out.

ps. fuck this show because it is not the vision I would have put forth.

I've always wanted to read this series. It's long as fuck right? I would always go into B & N and see like 20 books in the series on the shelf but could never find book #1

T1G, I'll say to you the same thing I said to people who bitched about Lord of the RIngs, or Game of Thrones, for that matter. If you love the source material, and the show is good, suck it up. Regardless of how different it is from your vision.

I mean, if it's objectively bad or seriously messes with the source material (I'm looking at you, Legend of the Seeker), then hate away. But don't turn sour on your own fandom because they didn't pluck the images from your skull - you're only hurting yourself.

<3 you T1G

I've always wanted to read this series. It's long as fuck right? I would always go into B & N and see like 20 books in the series on the shelf but could never find book #1
The first 3 are a stand alone story. The rest either focus on the aftermath of that story or later generations of people in the story world. The show will be about the first 3 books story line

PsionicFox I get that. This one is different for me. This was my first love from books. And I have had a long and sordid love affair with books. I just really don't want to ruin or change my remembrance of the story that got me hooked on reading.

I understand TIG . You don't want to lose something that was special to you. But don't think of it as losing something. Think of it as gaining a new perspective. When was the last time you read the Shannara series? Were you still a kid/teenager? Because if you were, I bet your perceptions have changed.

New things can be good, TIG give it a chance. :)

Top Bottom