What's new

Sitting in Limbo.

ToxicAsF

Over Analystical Extreme Gambler
So here I am, sitting at work. I was supposed to be "released" on March 1st, but here I am a on the 18th, just biding my time. I am now allowed to work 15 hours a week roughly. Anyone who is in the adult world of bills knows that working a full time job of 40+ hours a week is usually still not enough to support oneself, but alas, here I am at work two days a week. Not even full days mind you.

Have any of you ever experienced being in this state of limbo? Asking yourself every day "Should I even bother?" I literally sit here all day looking for a job. I don't have any more duties here at work. I sit here in a fish smelling office on a computer looking for jobs and being paid. Some may think this is a big perk, but do you have any idea how emasculating it is to sit here with everyone looking at you, knowing you don't belong, you shouldn't exist, you have no purpose. Everyone knows, it's no secret. I'm not supposed to be here. Many also received bonuses and raises not too long ago, as per their annual increases. Not me though. Nope, I moved to this town because I was guaranteed stability. I was promised a future. I sacrificed many things in my life in order to appease to their wants and needs. Instead I'm rewarded with a Death Sentence, awaiting my own demise.

Normally I wouldn't mind the extra time off. But the thing is, I made financial decisions based on having a dependable income. Now I'm SoL because of a bad year and I'm the newest guy on the roster. Worst thing is, if I had known when I was offered full time after my temp stint, I wouldn't have accepted. I would have begun my search for a job then. No, instead, they kept me on because I was filling a nuisance role, traveling for months. No one else wanted to go if I were to leave, so they offered me a full time job. They expected some growth in the industry, and expected to expand. Instead, it plummeted. No one else is suffering is feeling it. I get to listen to the owner talk about his six digit cars, cottage in Vermont, and all of his lavish vacations. Yes, you own the business. Yes, you worked hard. But after I make sacrifices to make your business prosper, I get the axe.

Sadly with this development, NH unemployment isn't quite an option. Since I was offered employment, even part time, I can't fully collect. If I quit from the part time stint, I won't be eligible for anything. I can apply for partial unemployment, but it's practically zero'd out because of what I make part time currently. It's a joke. So here I am, doling out all of my savings for the ability to have a roof over my head and food on the table. It wouldn't be so bad if I were to find a job soon, but after relocating, I'll now have a harder time finding a good job. At least not without traveling an hour+ each way for less pay than I received from this job, which was less than 10 minute drive. Now I'm in a lease with I can't break without paying a hefty fine, can't relocate without major expenses thus negating my ability to move.

Now I'm at the situation of "Why me?" I've always been taught to work hard, do everything you can and you will be rewarded. My reward so far was a small boost of finances from working overtime for months and then cut down at the knees. I don't get it. No one wants a guy with just a year experience, no matter how skilled or educated he may be. I have the ability to support myself for about another 4-5 months, maybe longer if I start collecting something from the government (which I really do not want to do).

It wouldn't be so bad if they just made the clean cut and I was gone. It's the waiting that's terrible. Come into work, knowing I mean nothing to anyone, and exist for the sake of existing, all the while everyone goes along their days as if I don't exist, full well knowing I do.

On that note, anyone need an accountant? Or a financial analyst? I have my resume and two glorious recommendations ready for anyone who needs one.

That seems like cruel and unjust punishment Bruce :(... why aren't they making a clean break? Do they expect you to be grateful for being kept on a tether for 15 hours a week? What benefit is that to them? So you don't file for unemployment?

I have never been in your situation, but I was suddenly laid off from a job that I loved after 12 years... in the non-profit sector, making a sweet salary, and having grown accustomed to the lifestyle of that salary. Then SWOOP... SLASH... KERPOW... "Sorry we are laying you off due to a restructuring of office operations." Basically it was their way of letting go a veteran employee, and not have to pay out the salary, benefits, 401k contribution, etc. and they hired in a college grad that was actually my INTERN (talk about a slap in the face) and retitled my position but the job responsibilities were the same. It was ridiculous, shocking, frustrating, depressing (I loved that job) and really made me realize that there are no guarantees in life. In this day and age, sadly, you cannot count on retiring from a job anymore. If you get to that point, you are lucky. But now I plan to just work until I die... wherever that may be... and not get too attached so when the rug is pulled out from under me again, I will just jump to the next rug before hitting my ass. =\

Sorry, I know that's not very good encouragement. But I did start freelancing as a result. I filed my taxes as a sole proprietor, easiest method for me and due to the nature of my work there wasn't much liable. It helped fill the gaps until I actually found full-time work again.

Non-profit sectors are always looking for financial people, but the pay is not great.

Also, living up north was expensive, I know you mentioned that you relocated there for that work. Is there an opportunity for you to relocate elsewhere? Or are you committed to that area?

Will the current employer at least let you work those 15 hours from home? I think that would be more considerate to you than making you suffer in the office.

I feel for you. Hang in there... you WILL find something, and hopefully something much better for you in the long run.
*hugs*

I'm sure part of their decision is to keep from paying full unemployment. If they keep him at a level where he has to quit then they get out of paying. Same thing happened to my girlfriend last year, but she found a much better job and now they have called her to come back and she told them to pound sand.

Ah hope Gyoin can find a better one as well then - much good luck to you. I suppose if you can get a decent job that's farther away, at least you'll be able to work yourself up to a point you can eventually relocate somewhere more convenient?

Can't stand how shitty people can be sometimes. Lmk if you need a bitch or two shanked. *psycho*

I'm sure part of their decision is to keep from paying full unemployment. If they keep him at a level where he has to quit then they get out of paying. Same thing happened to my girlfriend last year, but she found a much better job and now they have called her to come back and she told them to pound sand.
This is the reason. Simple business. I can see why they're doing it, it's risk free for them. But now I went into work, heavily snowing, and was told to take the rest of the week off. Hooray, a full week off without pay.

I'm really sorry to hear this Bruce, it can be a real bitch. I moved out to NJ for a job that I got laid off from before I'd been there for even a year, it sucked. The people that did this to you are dicks, plain and simple. What is your relocation situation? I've got several accountant friends I'll put the word out to.

It sucks when everything come crashing down around us. Best laid plans of mice and men and all that.

My darkest hour financially/jobwise was toward the end of my stint as a life insurance salesman. I was 100% commission and no one was buying my crap. My heart wasn't in it anymore and my bosses had pretty much written me off- waiting for me to die or pull myself out of it.

I ended up with a lucky break- I tried to sell insurance to a really nice guy that worked for an insurance company that was hiring. He got my resume into the internal channels and suddenly I"m a salaried employee doing a lot of the same stuff, but much more security.

Call it luck, fate, karma, the favor of God, whatever, but I believe stuff happens for a reason. My crap commission job got me the experience and opportunity that landed me where I am now. In hindsight, it was totally worth that year of scraping by in terror.

Bottom line, I'm sure you'll land on your feet. Who knows? This could end up being the best thing that ever happened to you.

It sucks when everything come crashing down around us. Best laid plans of mice and men and all that.

My darkest hour financially/jobwise was toward the end of my stint as a life insurance salesman. I was 100% commission and no one was buying my crap. My heart wasn't in it anymore and my bosses had pretty much written me off- waiting for me to die or pull myself out of it.

I ended up with a lucky break- I tried to sell insurance to a really nice guy that worked for an insurance company that was hiring. He got my resume into the internal channels and suddenly I"m a salaried employee doing a lot of the same stuff, but much more security.

Call it luck, fate, karma, the favor of God, whatever, but I believe stuff happens for a reason. My crap commission job got me the experience and opportunity that landed me where I am now. In hindsight, it was totally worth that year of scraping by in terror.

Bottom line, I'm sure you'll land on your feet. Who knows? This could end up being the best thing that ever happened to you.

I'm not a big one for banking on fate, but I will say that there are some convenient silver linings out there. If I hadn't worked my stint at the company that laid me off after working less than a year, I'm 100% convinced I wouldn't have the job I have now which is infinitely better. I figured my old job was a great opportunity- work a couple years and use that experience to jump over into something closer to what I wanted to do.

Turns out that some of that experience, coupled with getting laid off, gave me the opportunity to jump into that dream job just a few months later. I'm not saying everything's going to be handed to you on a silver platter, you gotta work for it, but I find it helps me stay sane to view these upsets to our plans as an opportunity. Sometimes they're a blessing in disguise, you just gotta smack them around and dramatically rip that disguise off to the astonished cries of "OLD MAN RICHARDS!"

You'll find something Bruce.

you-can-do-it-o.gif

EDIT: He is saying, "you can do it"

I just found out this morning that I am officially being laid off. I will be able to apply for unemployment next week.

This is good news if you ask me. Fuck them trying to work the system. They thought you would quit. You outlasted their BS! Good for you my man!

This is good news if you ask me. Fuck them trying to work the system. They thought you would quit. You outlasted their BS! Good for you my man!
I actually pushed my hand a bit harder than they wanted. I started talking about emotional distress / anxiety and all that other crap and they folded. I was actually trying to get some severance pay out of it, but at least I got the unemployment availability.

I actually pushed my hand a bit harder than they wanted. I started talking about emotional distress / anxiety and all that other crap and they folded. I was actually trying to get some severance pay out of it, but at least I got the unemployment availability.
Nothin like the threat of emotional distress to light a fire under management. My favorite line is "I'm getting so upset and depressed I don't even feel pleasure while cleaning my guns any more."

Top Bottom