What's new

MOBA Smite - HiRez Studio's Moba - I got a few beta keys.

Stormcrown

Smite is a new Moba, third person and people who played lots of Arena and MMORPG PVP would feel more at home with it than League (Which is mostly calls to the RTS-players).

I have 2 extra beta keys I'd be willing to share to the right people. :D (You can always buy "gems" their in game currency, and you get into the closed beta as well. You also get 2 beta keys. With 400 "gems" you can afford 2 heroes/champions/gods, and it only costs $7.99).

Just thought I'd mention it. It's pretty fun.

Yeah, Observer Z was giving keys around too. He got me into the beta and I can spread the wealth as well. I'm not a super fan of the game, but it's definitely a fun 20 minutes here and there kinda game. I mean, I don't like RTS/DOTA/MOBA/Whatevers that much, so I'm a poor judge :p

I think the game is really fun and plays exactly like any moba out there except more focus on player control. I personally love the fov (it's very similar to gw2) which means it's extremely EASY to gank overextenders. The only problem I have with the game is the weird targeting system as it takes some getting used to. Their pricing system irks me though. It's very expensive once you hit max level and becomes an absolute grind to unlock heroes with favor.

I will say though that because their combat is much more straightforward like a traditional moba (high cooldowns, big mana costs, etc.) that each engagement or team fight feels much more weighty and has more consequence. It's also very easy to identify poor players and good players (kd ratio, gold count, creep score, itemization, etc.). Another thing that I like is the fact that there is an early, mid and late game sequence unlike gw2. Gw2 is very freeflow and DM heavy where team fights carry little to no consequence. In Smite, each fight carries consequences and can easily sway momentum and morale. Death timers easily go above the minute mark when you hit max level so poor positioning can easily result in power plays, something clearly missing in gw2 pvp.

I think the game is really fun and plays exactly like any moba out there except more focus on player control. I personally love the fov (it's very similar to gw2) which means it's extremely EASY to gank overextenders. The only problem I have with the game is the weird targeting system as it takes some getting used to. Their pricing system irks me though. It's very expensive once you hit max level and becomes an absolute grind to unlock heroes with favor.

I will say though that because their combat is much more straightforward like a traditional moba (high cooldowns, big mana costs, etc.) that each engagement or team fight feels much more weighty and has more consequence. It's also very easy to identify poor players and good players (kd ratio, gold count, creep score, itemization, etc.). Another thing that I like is the fact that there is an early, mid and late game sequence unlike gw2. Gw2 is very freeflow and DM heavy where team fights carry little to no consequence. In Smite, each fight carries consequences and can easily sway momentum and morale. Death timers easily go above the minute mark when you hit max level so poor positioning can easily result in power plays, something clearly missing in gw2 pvp.

But how can you compare an RTS type game with tower siege to GW2. The death timer is there because of the fact that there are objectives ina linear line that your NPCs have to get to. If you could just SPAWN at your spawn right after death to defend it woul dbe impossible to win.

No jungling= Dislike.
Getting gold on minion deaths in the area and not soley on last hitting= Dislike.
18 champs= dislike
Also dislike the field of view. Not being able to see a wider area around your champ allows people to simply walk up behind you.
Also really dislike Hi-Rez, and doubt that they can balance as well as Valve/Riot.

Plus it seems pretty silly to compare a MOBA to an MMO... Totally different genres.

No jungling= Dislike.
Getting gold on minion deaths in the area and not soley on last hitting= Dislike.
18 champs= dislike
Also dislike the field of view. Not being able to see a wider area around your champ allows people to simply walk up behind you.
Also really dislike Hi-Rez, and doubt that they can balance as well as Valve/Riot.

Plus it seems pretty silly to compare a MOBA to an MMO... Totally different genres.

No jungling? People jungle all the time

That's somewhat true but not exactly true. Any good jungler I've played with will spend most of their time in the jungle but they're constantly wandering lanes ganking and disappearing back into the jungle.

These are the best parts though. The gold kinda makes it easier for casuals to get into the game and not get dominated in laning phase because you still get some gold so you're not completed decimated in mid/late game. Good or bad thing depending on how much dota you've played before. Plus it speeds up the game overall because less emphasis on farming.

The fov I think is one of the best parts of the game. Ganking overextenders is just so much easier when they don't even see you coming up from behind. People regularly get ganked in wide open without stealth. This is amazing. It puts emphasis on positioning and rewards good map awareness. It's a shame that gw2 now introduced a larger zoom distance which effectively removes this aspect from pvp.
But how can you compare an RTS type game with tower siege to GW2. The death timer is there because of the fact that there are objectives ina linear line that your NPCs have to get to. If you could just SPAWN at your spawn right after death to defend it woul dbe impossible to win.
Like in gw2 when you die, you don't really feel like you messed up or something. You know you'll just res in 10-15s. Obviously when you lose a team fight you lose control of that point or whatever, but in terms of the overall pace of the game it feels like nothing. When you die in a moba, you get taken out of the game for a while so you know how much your death has an impact on the match. Gameplay and tactics change to revolve around that player death.

Like in gw2 when you die, you don't really feel like you messed up or something. You know you'll just res in 10-15s. Obviously when you lose a team fight you lose control of that point or whatever, but in terms of the overall pace of the game it feels like nothing. When you die in a moba, you get taken out of the game for a while so you know how much your death has an impact on the match. Gameplay and tactics change to revolve around that player death.

I understand this part. But I also understand that that makes sense for that kind of game. If you died for a minute in sPvP it would feel very weird. It is about point capturing and epic battles, not epic watch the rest of your team fight in spectator mode haha.

ALTHOUGH a version of the game where there was ONE point to hold and longer death times would be cool.

I understand this part. But I also understand that that makes sense for that kind of game. If you died for a minute in sPvP it would feel very weird. It is about point capturing and epic battles, not epic watch the rest of your team fight in spectator mode haha.

ALTHOUGH a version of the game where there was ONE point to hold and longer death times would be cool.
Yeah, like part of me wants to make gw2 into this awesome pvp game but part of me already knows how the game will end up being. Moba mechanics just wouldn't work in a game that is as free flow as gw2. I definitely like the gw2 mechanics though because it's very rewarding to simply outplay or outmaneuver your opponent. It's almost like scoring an ace in CS with everyone on your team dead just watching you play. Super ego boost. I just wish dying has a bigger impact in the game so that poor players get punished for dying and then they have to start questioning why they die so much or why they died in particular.

Yeah, like part of me wants to make gw2 into this awesome pvp game but part of me already knows how the game will end up being. Moba mechanics just wouldn't work in a game that is as free flow as gw2. I definitely like the gw2 mechanics though because it's very rewarding to simply outplay or outmaneuver your opponent. It's almost like scoring an ace in CS with everyone on your team dead just watching you play. Super ego boost. I just wish dying has a bigger impact in the game so that poor players get punished for dying and then they have to start questioning why they die so much or why they died in particular.

They do get punished. They lose the game :)

League is the most played game, and has surpassed WoW in played hours+total regular users. Apparently the noobs are getting into the game. Don't need casualification of this genre.

Rewarding gold without success is retarded. Just giving it away for being NEAR the mobs that die is ridiculous. CSing is what creates the entire tempo of a lane. Pushing the lane, freezing the lane, outcsing your opponent, harassing enemy when they go for cs, being careful when you do, etc... is all part of the core game play that revolves around cs. but hey , lets just give it away for free. Silly.

Dying because of a field of view issue is ridiculous as well, and not a good gameplay mechanic. Sneaking up on someone is possible in LoL, Dota2... It simply requires you making use of strategy, not just walking up behind the guy. That's why there are tons of different ways junglers gank and use their teammates in lane to help them set up the gank... By pushing the creep, coming through the bush, or coming through the river, or through the tribush, or coming from behind the tower, or jumping the wall...

Top Bottom