What's new

MOBA Tell me about Smite

Passage

Polychromatic
What attracts you to it? What has contributed to its success this past year (almost) since launch? How has it held its own against League of Legends and DOTA2?

I love the MOBA type of games, but the click to move always seemed so clunky and strange to me. Even coming from a RTS background. Smite takes that formula but throws in action combat and skillshots. Now you actually feel in control of your character instead of telling him where to go and waiting for the reaction.

I think the learning curve isn't as steep as LoL/DOTA. In a MOBA you need to know 1) characters, 2) items, 3) maps. They've simplified the character items with some of the latest patches and made it easy to learn how to build a character with the shop. Their map layout and design makes it easy to figure out where a buff is, what it does, and when it'll respawn. That leaves learning the characters as the only major hurdle to being decent at the game.

Like most popularized MOBAs that have come out since DotA, (mainly LoL before Smite) the barrier to entry is very small and the game is easy to learn, however the more you learn the more you realize how complex MOBA mechanics are and you realize how bad at them you are. I.E. skillshots, last hitting, map awareness. Smite is an easy game to play but difficult to truly be good at so it draws in a large player base. Also, like LoL before it, most of the core gods/champions are variations of DotA champions or they combine mechanics of two familiar champions from DotA. Smite has recently started coming out with champions with unique mechanics which I think is great for them.

Because Smite has Jingle Hel. Nuff Said.

For me, i got into the LoL game for a little bit with a friend but it was to spastic for me. After playing League my hand would have uncontrollable seizures and i would have to take a hammer to it to get it to stop (A little over exaggerated). Smite has the WASD which i am familiar with playing games on the computer. Everything is centralized so i can play with my 2 button and a scroll mouse and not my Naga.

The game has some a map that i have only seen in Smite called Arena. Bring all the gods together and have them Battle Royale on teams of two. At low lvl it is mainly there for learning a new god and getting used to their abilities and their rotations. Getting a little higher lvl the games are more strategy based and used the side base camps to give an upper edge.

You're crazy not playing smite with your naga, makes it so you can move in all directions without moving your fingers and use your abilities at the same time!

Will Smite survive HoTS?
HotS is a new step for MOBAs, theres nothing out there like it currently as far as actual game mechanics are concerned. The champions all have the same familiarity that all MOBA champions do, but in HotS theres no gold or items, everything is based off of experience that is shared teamwide and talents are used to augment your abilities. You also have 2 different ultimate abilities to choose from depending in the situation.

Ya know I've got a beta HotS that I've been dying to get into, but I can't find myself peeling away from Smite to play it. I love the action combat and skillshots that Smite provides and can't get into a click to move/LoL based moving system again. I'll get around to it but its not something that is similar aside from the game type of MOBA.

Meaning friend referrals should go to people that actively play so they can actually use the bonuses they receive.

Thank you for the referral links!

I first-come, first-served it through a PM I received (3:46a PST).

Feel free to add me, TopicLA, if you don't mind grouping up with a newb.

You Topic, Send me a friend request Baldorax.

Let me know when you usually play and i will join you and help coach you along

Top Bottom