What's new

Thanksgiving Christmas Blackhole

tr1age

Administrator
Staff member
I really dislike the blackhole that leads up to Thanksgiving and truly forms on it's way to Christmas and eventually exploding via New Years.

Work is usually at a steam engine speed at this point because Fall has a way of turning ideas and change into high gear and then BAM two holidays that require lots of attention and money thrown right in the middle of the tracks.

People try their best to get shit done but nothing ever gets done. Between the anxiety of family get togethers, not being close to family for get togethers, the money involved in these get togethers through preparation, flights, and gifts, or just the simple fact that we all seem to get super emo when not in a relationship for that overwhelming yearn for a cap off with that New Year’s kiss, but not just a kiss, but something that you remember and look forward to at midnight. Not because it is different than the other kisses but because it is something deemed special by whatever book we have all been following.

So work halts, money is needed, and love is in the air. It usually ends up with tensions high, breakdowns ready to occur, and nothing actually getting accomplished. Good luck trying to meet someone in this period of time...

Holidays boldly try to make those beginning times with someone who may or may not be a significant other in your life happen quicker than you may feel comfortable with. So in that sense Holidays are a pain in the ass, but in the same sense, what’s the difference if Holidays help it along or not. I definitely see both sides here, and don’t have the answer as to yay or nay to either. I do find though that often people feel forced to make things more serious then they should because of holidays, thus ending it before it could even begin. When you also factor in the idea of "gifts" it is hard to "invest", so to say, in someone you don't know yet.

It is like the need to go out and get smashed because it is St. Patricks day or New Years. In my opinion I would prefer to get smash on my terms not on a designated holiday that alcohol will probably cause more strife than good.

Good or bad though instead of sucking back the tears of a moment like we do to save face, we really need to learn to just enjoy the release it brings and ride the wave of whatever the fuck it could mean, good or bad, past, present, or future thoughts. We need to continue to HANDLE OUR SHIT.

Fuck the time warp, screw the holidays. Enjoy the time and breath a little.

Or please just combine these two holidays so we can just get them over with and move on with our year.

Combine Christmas and Thanksgiving?!? Sacrilige!

I agree that having two major holidays only a month apart is a bit much, but they are different enough for me that combining them just seems wrong.

Thanksgiving is more laid back for me. There's no hurry in getting presents, wrapping presents, ect. The kids are usually more subdued when there aren't presents on the line, and I'm a huge fan of traditional Thanksgiving food: REAL cranberry sauce (I could probly make a whole rant about that), mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing, and of course turkey.

Christmas is a lot less about the food for me and more about the holiday experience. The overall feeling of Christmas is distinct to me and wouldn't combine well with another holiday.

I can sympathize with your pain of nothing getting done between Black Friday and New Year's Hangover. I blame the early Christians who cared more about co-opting pagan holidays than historical accuracy. Jesus was not born in the middle of winter, crazies!

Between TG, X-Mas, and NY, I get 6 paid days off, combing into 3-four day weekends in a 6 week period. Add in Foxwoods this year, and I have 4 shortened weeks in that time frame. Phenomenal. I am ok with this, and personally don't get stressed out as everyone else. Probably because I am a heavy saver and financial stress doesn't occur often for me.

I think the holidays would be much more bearable if the people around me didn't make such a big deal about it. Take Thanksgiving, for example. Many members of my family are more concerned about who's bringing what dish and where were getting together that they forget that just the act of being together is what the holiday is all about. People need to slow down and remember the true spirit of each of these special days. Except New Year. I'm pretty sure that's just for getting drunk and maybe hooking up.

I think the holidays would be much more bearable if the people around me didn't make such a big deal about it. Take Thanksgiving, for example. Many members of my family are more concerned about who's bringing what dish and where were getting together that they forget that just the act of being together is what the holiday is all about. People need to slow down and remember the true spirit of each of these special days. Except New Year. I'm pretty sure that's just for getting drunk and maybe hooking up.
Don't forget making promises that you don't intend to keep!

I just saw this thread and looked at my inbox. I have an e-mail from an Aunt saying "Hi All, Now that Thanksgiving is over--on to Christmas."

/cringe

The most stressful part of the holidays in a normal year: telling people what I want for Christmas
This year: Everyone wants to know what job I'm taking, where & when & if I'm moving, AND what I want them to give me (between this dollar and that dollar amount, please.)... But first I have to *pick a job*

New Years is my favorite part: drunken revelry to let off all the Holiday Drama Steam!

The holidays aren't nearly as stressful for me as it seems they are for some people. Granted some years they definitely have been but that's more because coordinating a Thanksgiving dinner for 12+ people tends to be a hassle ^^; Christmas is usually less chaotic although sometimes I find people try to out do one another which is sort of stupid. I think it's about what something means to someone not how much you spend on a present that counts. That's probably my only complaint about it.

Oh and my birthday falls right between Thanksgiving and Christmas and then Nate's is right after New Year so we're sort of dicked the rest of the year xD

Next Christmas won't be so bad. Taking a vacation away from all family and going to Disney World. Great place to say i'm sorry mom i can't hear you. Ill call you when i can. *click*

Oh and my birthday falls right between Thanksgiving and Christmas and then Nate's is right after New Year so we're sort of dicked the rest of the year xD

I have the same problem xD Thankfully my so's is in April, so at least not everything is in November/December.

A bunch of stuff.

/Agree. Breathing is severely underrated. People really should do it more often.

Or a whole lot less.

>.>

<.<

It is something of a shame though how times of the year that are supposed to be cheerful and happy became sort of twisted into ginormous pits of anxiety and stabbings over children's playthings. Like the Chez said, it's more of a chore than... well... a holiday. :p I guess people just feel the need to carry on the tradition whether they want to or not? Posh. Silly people.

Top Bottom